Hi all! saw a post talking about 4.56:1 gears and matching speedo drive and was wondering if these are able to be purchased and where? what size is the rear gear housing in a toyota 1 ton full floater axle? thinking of gear change to better use of OD in 1989 v6 dolphin! anything below 60 miles mph in overdrive kicks in and out on slightest grade making it pretty much useless! Thanks Rick

Has anyone done a rear ratio change? I was thinking shorter gears would be nice in my 22RE (auto) myself. I am challenged in the mechanics of the switch so I will ask what RPM's I would be turning at 55 mph in OD.
With everything stock, I would lug the heck out of the engine in OD at 55 mph.

Hi all! saw a post talking about 4.56:1 gears and matching speedo drive and was wondering if these are able to be purchased and where? what size is the rear gear housing in a toyota 1 ton full floater axle? thinking of gear change to better use of OD in 1989 v6 dolphin! anything below 60 miles mph in overdrive kicks in and out on slightest grade making it pretty much useless! Thanks Rick

What you maybe feeling is it going in and out of lockup. Before I would think of switching rears is lock out the O/D and see how that feels. The normal ratio is 4.10, 4.56 is a little steep I'm not sure you would like the added noise. I think yours has two selectable modes try the one for power.

I did the swap in my 1989 Warrior, it is a V6, auto. I went with 4.56 gears and the improvement was immediate and profound. Under 60mph the motorhome now feels like a regular truck in terms of acceleration. I can also maintain speed much easier in overdrive without the RV having to downshift. Hands down the best upgrade I've done so far.

I've gone 4.56:1 on two Toyota RVs and would do it as one of the first upgrades to ANY I own.

You can find a complete 3rd member (hog's head, pumpkin, whatever you want to call the housing) in most salvage yards.

The later model 4x4 and 4runners with V-6 engines and the bigger tires came stock with them so they are NOT hard to locate as a complete setup.

Getting a complete diff unit makes the swap a "do it at home" adventure if you have a good automotive knowledge (pull the axles, drop the drive shaft, unbolt the diff housing, then reverse the steps).

I've done it both ways. The first swap I did with Richmond Gear parts and had a speed shop do the re-gearing in my original housing. Second one was a swap with an SR5 4runner unit. NEVER again will I go the re-gearing. WAY TOO expensive when compared to a salvage yard diff housing.

Use the online salvage yard search tool and look for a complete diff assembly near you.

http://car-part.com/

They are HEAVY so having one shipped adds a LOT to the overall cost.

In my V-6 shorty. 75 mph runs out at 3400 RPM and 68 MPH is 3000 RPM (2850 RPM @ 65 on the button).

This is with 4.56:1 gearing, the OD engaged, and a ratio adaptor to show the speed accurately on the dash. OH and I CAN cruise @ 75 all day long if I want to make some time. Granted fuel economy drops to around 9 MPG but..... as you know.... Time is money and if you NEED to make time you CAN make time (providing you are willing to pay for it in MPG drop). I've not been stopped for speeding (yet).

I got a ratio adaptor from an online speedo shop (I'll look for the info but most speedo shops will make you one). It is a small part that goes on the trans that the speedo screws into to reduce/increase the turn of the cable so that the ground speed is accurate.

The 4.56:1 in my old 65 HP diesel made it so that I could use 5th gear (on the flat). Still had to jamb gears when coming up on a hill to avoid slowing down too much. So I would imagine in a 4 cyl gas engine RV you would notice an improvement also

boogie_zps1f89f7dd.jpg

65mph-3k_rpm_zps59159bf3.jpg

Pretty sure this is where you got your speedo adapter but they no longer have a website

https://plus.google.com/103811379957440758304/about?gl=us&hl=en

YEP..... That's the place.

I called on the phone.

Made and shipped to me the day I talked to them.

This is what they look like (small)

RatioAdapter.jpg

Thanks for all the input! v6 dolphin at 55mph turns 2300rpm! at 60mph turns 2500! at 65 turns 2700! I think 4.56:1 gears would help me out at 55mph to 65mph is where most of my driving is at! other thing i've noticed is rear diff.noise which is more evident at higher speeds and after letting off the gas! kind of a harmonic sound like a intermittent low whine! I don't have any idea if 1 ton floaters are quiet or if you are supposed to have some kind of rear end or dual wheel noise! its not very loud but kind of irritating at times! Thanks Rick

• 4 months later...

I did the swap in my 1989 Warrior, it is a V6, auto. I went with 4.56 gears and the improvement was immediate and profound. Under 60mph the motorhome now feels like a regular truck in terms of acceleration. I can also maintain speed much easier in overdrive without the RV having to downshift. Hands down the best upgrade I've done so far.

I am getting ready to do the same on my 92 Warrior 21RB. Can you stay in 4th/OD in the flats at 55mph? (GPS or Speedo corrected)

With my 4.11 any wind or slight grade and it downshifts. Tim

I put 4.56 to 1 gears in my 1988 Minicruiser with a 2.4 engine and love it. BIG difference. Now I have a four speed trans instead of a three speed. New gears for a 8" rear in a V6 Toyota are $40-$50 cheaper then for the "4 cylinder" 8" rear. You need a gear-get, crush collar, and shim kit to install the new gears. Also the speedometer adapter box. I bought mine from the place already mentioned. Expensive but it was here in three days. I got my new gears from Yukon. Toyota never made any trucks with 4.56 gears and 185R-14" tires so no OEM speedo gears are available for a correct match. An adapter box is needed, similar to what Dodge used OEM for years in diesel 4WD pickups. You might find a complete Hotchkss center-section somewhere with the 4.56 gears already installed and ready to bolt in. Not the way I did mine. I wouldn't buy a used assembled Hotchkiss center-section unless I'd heard it run and knew it was okay. Used gears and center-sections are sometimes noisy. So are some cheaper new ones even when setup perfectly. That the main reason why I bought new top-quality gears and installed myself. This way I got to inspect all the bearings along the way and make sure the gears were good. Note that many aftermarket gear companies sell "discount" gears that are likely to be noisy on the highway. They are basically factory seconds that are fine for racing and off-roading but not a great choice for highway rig. Your RV works harder then mine in 4th (OD) because your converter locks up. But you also have the 3 liter engine which has more torque. So the gain should be similar.

http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/totota-8-v6/

Pete,

My 4.56 used Diff arrived today, and if all goes well I will drive it Tuesday. Tacoma Speedo will make me any ratio change...they just need indicated speed vs GPS speed. Thanks for your reply.

Tim

Pete,

My 4.56 used Diff arrived today, and if all goes well I will drive it Tuesday. Tacoma Speedo will make me any ratio change...they just need indicated speed vs GPS speed. Thanks for your reply.

Tim

Works as advertised with new speedo ratio adapter. Old set was a 4.30 not a 4.1 like I thought. 55 MPH 2280-2400 RPM with fewer downshifts.

Tim

Apparently just enough though to make a difference. Randy was going to do his but his mechanic let him know it was a 4.3 in there so he backed out. He wishes now that he had gone through with it. Seems that small change is just enough to make the overdrive truly usable. His was a Winnebago too. I wonder if Winnebago specifically ordered the lower gearing. Not something I have seen reported on other Toyota motorhomes. Toyota brochure for that year only list a 4.10. ratio with no options

Linda S

Yes, the 4.30:1 rear axle ratio seems to be a late (V6) Winnebago only 'thing'. But I'll happily be proved wrong so if anyone else has something else with a 4.30:1 from the factory, please post so we can all learn. :)

All I know is that I've driven V6s with both a 4.10:1 and 4.30:1 (also ~5% difference) and can honestly say I didn't realize they weren't both 4.10:1 (the most common) until I looked at the axle codes on the door plates.

All I know is that I've driven V6s with both a 4.10:1 and 4.30:1 (also ~5% difference) and can honestly say I didn't realize they weren't both 4.10:1 (the most common) until I looked at the axle codes on the door plates.

I suspect the axle-codes are not always going to be useful. Once someone swaps gears - I doubt they install new axle codes. All it takes is verify ratio is to jack up on wheel, put the trans in neutral, turn the wheel and calculate. Seems there shouldn't be any surprises if checked this way.

I never drove a 20-21 foot Toyota RV with a V6 or with a 4.30, so can't comment on that. I can say for sure - that my 20 foot Minicruiser with the 2.4 and A43D trans NEEDS the 4.56 to make 4th gear of any use. 4.30 would not be enough. I can now use 4th on flat or moderate inclines and the engine doesn't labor and the trans gets NO hotter. That is a big plus. Before - with the 4.10 to 1 gearing . . even on a flat highway - in 4th the trans temp would shoot up from 170F to 195F and get even hotter if I can to an incline. With the 4.56 to 1 gears - it stays at 170 F on flats now when in 4th.

I also agree that anyone would bother changing the axle code on the door plate. I also think that it's highly unlikely that many (any?) would have bothered to swap from a 4.10:1 to a 4.30:1 so I feel confident that the marked axle codes are accurate.

How many even bother to do any swap? 1%? 1/2%?

Sometimes more that absolute gear ratio it's more about getting the motors happy range to match your driving style and speed. Not having instruments on this rig :( I'm trying to drive it by feel only. Believe instruments are mucho better..always something more I want than what I have. Mine definately feels overgeared.

So did my Aerostar when it was a fully loaded to the max as a work truck, but now that it's empty most of the time, I even removed all the racks,boxes, etc it had, seems to go real good, and better mileage.

To compare to the Toyota, it's also a 3 speed auto with a switchable OD, shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 60MPH. MUCH higher than the RV....

JOHN

How many even bother to do any swap? 1%? 1/2%?

Who knows? My guess would be the same as your's. As far as I can tell, a very small percentage of Toyota RV owners ever participate in any of the on-line forums. Subsequently what is observed here may or may not reflect actual reality. I've met over 20 Toyota RV owners in the past few years and even more who were prior owners. Out of them all, one person had ever been to an on-line forum. I've had over a dozen Toyota RVs and "1 ton" duallies apart and in my own experience - there have been no surprises except for the different gear-tooth counts. Older "4.10s" are actually 4.11s have different gear-tooth counts then newer 4.10s but the ratio is still 4.1 to 1. Early ones have a 9 tooth pinion and a 37 tooth ring-gear with a 4.11 to 1 ratio. Later ones have a 10 tooth pinion and a 41 tooth ring-gear with a 4.10 to 1 ratio.

I AM a little surprised as posts by people who want to know what their ratio is and are taken by surprise at some point.. All it takes is one wheel jacked up in the air, trans in neutral, and some calculating to observe the ratio.

I AM a little surprised as posts by people who want to know what their ratio is and are taken by surprise at some point.. All it takes is one wheel jacked up in the air, trans in neutral, and some calculating to observe the ratio.

I'm guessing that what's marked on the Toyota sticker will give the required info in the vast majority of cases. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm new here. I recently purchased an '84 sunrader with the 4 speed manual transmission. I've yet to find anybody talking about re-gearing the differentials with the 4 speed manuals. Acceleration from a stop, with the stock 4.10's, is pretty bad. Folks in Denver aren't very accommodating for the slower traffic. I've thought about 4.56's but am now wondering if I should go to 4.88's. 

Backstory: I once had an '86 4Runner that I swapped in a 7MGE Supra motor (inline 6) and at first 4.88 gears/33" tires. With that 5 speed, and 6 cylinder engine, 4.88's made the first four gears useless. I then switched to 4.56's and it was perfect. .  I'm trying to equate that to my heavy and under-powered sunrader.

Any suggestions?

Greg

I put 4.56 gears in two of my Toyotas.   One a 1978 Chinook with a 5 speed trans and the other in a 1988 Minicruiser with an automatic.   Neither for "off the line performance."   More for gas mileage, more quiet running, and better take-off power in 1st gear.  Putting 4.56 in the Chinook gives me the best of both ends, but that is with a 5 speed and OD.  I would do it with a four-speed trans.   With the 1988 automatic - OD wa not usable with the OEM 4.10 rear.  Now it is with the 4.56 gears.

On 5/21/2016 at 10:13 AM, jdemaris said:

I put 4.56 gears in two of my Toyotas.   One a 1978 Chinook with a 5 speed trans and the other in a 1988 Minicruiser with an automatic.   Neither for "off the line performance."   More for gas mileage, more quiet running, and better take-off power in 1st gear.  Putting 4.56 in the Chinook gives me the best of both ends, but that is with a 5 speed and OD.  I would do it with a four-speed trans.   With the 1988 automatic - OD wa not usable with the OEM 4.10 rear.  Now it is with the 4.56 gears.

Yeah, I'm definitely not looking for "off the line performance". But being able to accelerate from 0-15 in under 6 seconds would be great!