Portable A/c Question

Rlantozzi

So I bought a 79 sunrader a few months back and have been getting it cleaned up and doing repairs all winter. I was wondering if anyone has used the portable A/C units for a house in their camper before and if it will work well enough? Also if so does anyone have any recommendations on one. Where I live is too humid for a swamp cooler so those are out.
Thanks.

post-7490-0-09513400-1397317974_thumb.jp

Neat Sunrader. One of the rarest models. Yes I use a portable AC in my Sunrader. 8000btu's and works great. I vent out of the front passenger window but I think you have a dinette in the way there. You would have to figure out the best place to put it so it wouldn't be in the way. Mine is a Haier and I bought it at Big Lots for 200 bucks but at the end of the season. I did just see the same unit there though for I think 249. Looks like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-and-Dehumidifier-HPRB08XCM/204712070?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla_with_promotion-_-204712070&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=204712070&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla_with_promotion&ci_src=17588969

Linda S

Even new travel trailers are now coming with built in window units. I have one of those portable A/C units where would you put it inside the MH it's not exactly small.

Yea I wanted to use a window unit but there is no place feasible to make it work. with the portable one I think I can just take out my table (don't plan to use it often anyway) and put it right behind the cab.

Have Linda send you some pics of her COMPLETE installation. She has done a few things that make a very big difference in how well the portable units work

Linda don't do pictures. I didn't do anything fancy either. I just built a little platform to fit behind the passenger seat so it would be flush with the camper floor so I could push the seat all the way forward and fit the AC in there and kind of get it out of my way while camping. otherwise it was in the way of the camper door kind of. The unit is in my room at home and works as my home AC too. Hose is very long fully extended. Maybe 8ft. I do hang a curtain between camper and cab too so the cool stays where I need it. Windshield shade helps it work better too.

Linda S

If you build a platform for the middle I bet it would fit right between the seats with them all the way forward.

The guy who used to own my 78-79 odyssey put a wall A/C unit in the kitchen window. He would remove the window when camped out and install it in, then take it down when on the road and put the window back. The window is held with screws and then insulated. I haven't done that myself and he must have insulated it back when he sold it cause my kitchen window is leak proof.