Snow Chains - Need Help

paulnptld

I spent the weekend up on Mt. Hood where we received nearly 2 feet of fresh snow. I'd purchased two sets of snow chains for my Dolphin to deal with the weather. The fronts went on easily. When I got to the rears? Forgetaboutit!

How is it possible to put chains on a dually? There just doesn't seem to be enough space between the tires...

Has anyone figured this out?

BTW, I've attached a photo from the internets of the type of chains I purchased.

post-7306-0-21502800-1396298832_thumb.jp

They make chains for dual wheels but I doubt if you would like the price they cover both wheels.As you found out the single chains don't fit even if you got them on chances are it would wreck the inner tire.

Thanks. I know I'd come across a post or two here that indicated that people were putting chains just on the outside tires. I have no idea how that would be accomplished without a really unfortunate outcome.

About all that would fit would be cable chains

I was up on mt baker ski rader camping and we got dumped on too. My 4 wheel drive saved me! First time I had it in 4 Low!

As for chains I do the fronts only. Someone told me about Lacede chain manufacturing in Vancouver wa. Lacledechain.com

They make dually chains. I've been meaning to call them to see if our minimal dually clearence could safely work. Maybe only cables? Look up dual triple truck chain I think.

http://www.lacledechain.com

I eventually want to winter travel to national parks and chains on all tires are required. Downside is dually chains would be heavy to haul around!

post-7537-0-56134000-1396452012_thumb.jp

The K33 size fits 185/80/14, that should work.

More information on ALL the Thule chains, some cool ideas....http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/products/snow-chains/snow-chains

• 1 year later...