I tried a search for exhaust and couldn't find anything for the V6. I just bought this 92 Spirit and the muffler is leaking so will need replacement soon. Can anything be done to improve performance and hopefully gas milage? I know that a big free flowing exhuast is not good for low end torque but the original is probably restrictive. I won't be replacing the cats (there's two) so its from there back. What's optimum?

The restriction in the v-6 exhaust is the crossover. If your in a non inspection state have a local shop fab a set of duals.

If that wont work then an aftermarket v-8 truck muffler and a 2.5" pipe

I would not modify it - you will find that the muffler is on the driver's side & the gas tank is on the pax side. Everyone wants to re-engineer these things - it is what it is. If that is not to your liking invest in a new diesel camper - you can spend a lot trying things but in the end ....

If it was so simple and easy to get more more outa it don't you think Toyota woulda done it in the first place.

Years of racing taught me the golden rule:

CHANGE IS EASY, IMPROVMENT IS HARD. :( Getting a motor to breath better will involve modifications to more than just one end.

Most cost effective change would probably be changing the rear end ratio.

john

I agree with changing the gears, I just put in 4.56 in my 1989 Toyota Warrior, the improvement was major! I went from feeling like I was driving a overloaded Uhaul to feeling like I was driving around in a regular pickup truck. Best money I spent on the motorhome.... period.

More info on exhaust. understand 2 1/4" is best diameter for exhaust and cats can be replaced with a freer flowing design. on another forum for hilux this has been quoted to improve hp and fuel efficentcity. cross over removal improves low end torque and helps with over heating of no6 cylinder which is one cause of hg failure