Brake Upgrade?

Odyssey4x4

Has anyone done a brake upgrade to their Toy home? I can't stop for the life of me, and I would have wrecked or driven off mountains hundreds of times if it weren't for having a manual transmission so I could downshift/use engine compression to stop/slow down.

My brake pads are about gone, so I figured this might be a great time to maybe beef up the front brakes and also look into a rear brake disc conversion & get rid of the rear drums? Any ideas or advice?

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

post-6327-0-12397400-1393358890_thumb.jp

This has come up before and in many cases the problem/condition is traced to the rear brake proportioning valve. It was designed for a 1/2 ton pickup. Not a 6000lb motor home.

Go to the engine, transmission, suspension section and find the pinned thread "Brakes LSVP" start reading, its a long one. But you should begin to under stand your problems.

Got to be honest with you adding disk brakes to the rear will not make it stop any better and may make it worse. The drum breaks have more sweep area and they are self energizing meaning they apply breaking force using the weight of the truck. Disk brakes are great for racing, driving off road through water and things you will never do with a MH. The modern Toyota trucks still use drum breaks and they out stop all of the small trucks/SUV's by a pretty good margin including the ones with rear disks. Some where along the line in the later 80's Toyota went to larger front disks and calipers but I could not tell you when or if they would fit a 4X4. You got a lot of weight to stop there I would make sure your front breaks are in tip top shape I believe they had 4 piston calipers if one or more is frozen the brakes would feel OK but your braking would suffer that was a fairly common problem with early 4 piston calipers.

I had poor braking, with a pretty hard pull toward the passenger side, even could lock up the front passenger side on a hard braking. Turned out the pad slider pin was dry, it has sealing in grease, and one pot was frozen. Brakes were actually dragging on that side. Put in a new caliper $55, pulled the good caliper and lubed the pin, put in a new set of pads, Then I purged out the old really crappy brake fluid, it was pretty bad with rust particles, put in some new purple silicone, and wall ahh, good brakes. I went from scarey bad to A-OK.