Slide Out 1990 Dolphin

Nicehobbits

Thoughts on a slide out !

Have a 1990 Dolphin .. Luv the rig & Luv a challenge ... So looking at building a driver side slide out ..!

Anyone seen any ?

Well that makes it a challenge Derek ey ..

On our dolphin we have some slight delam on the driver side , so thought about addressing it this summer & thought what hell in might just build a aluminum slide ... Then allowing us to have the fold out bed out & also the kids can have access to the washroom without climbing over me & the old lady ! .

We would have one of a kind dolphin ey .

Anyways we are still on tour in Mexico & the toyota is sweeeeet

To each their own, but to me a slide represents extra weight, complication and more places to leak. If in your position, I'd consider folding bunks.

http://www.airforums.com/attachments/gallery/files/2/6/7/5/68bunkbed.jpg

A bunk (not hinged) added to an Odyssey:-

http://blog.rv.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/noid-bunk2-25.jpg

But a challenge ! .

Challenge me & ill do it lol ..

Apparently some folks believe folks walked on the moon some years back .. I must be able to put a slide in Bert the Dolphin Then !

It is your RV so what the heck. Do what you want. Remember to document everything that you do and keep us up to date on your progress.

I enjoy my Toyhouse because it keeps my life simple and uncluttered. I try to get the beautiful woman that I share life with to pack light (like that is possible) and keep things minimalistic. That is my goal anyway (everyone needs goals) If your goal is to have something unique, having a Dolphin slider you will definitely succeed.

You got that right Bob ...

May even take all the dolphins siding off & replace with nice shiny Aloooominum :) .

Hey Derek .. Is that your rig ? .. What Toy model do you run ? .

Feed me some of these slide out kit links Corbin . Please ..... That would be awesome !

The way I want to go is basic & manual , thinking to redo the kitchen also at the same time , getting rid of the unused water tank & oven.

Guess I'm a fool !

Oops I forgot to say .. We have a 34ft class A ! .... But Luv our toy ! ...

Had 6 RVs in the last 2 years , truck camper , C class , B class , 36ft 5th wheel , A classes .... But I can tell ya the little Toyota has given us more happiness than any of them ...

Bought just for our trip to Mexico , but Is now a part of the family ! .

Nicehobbits,

Go for it! I'd love to see how you do this. Personally, I don't think it would be all that difficult given the simple construction of the sidewalls of most of our Toyhomes. Karen mentioned a kit for slideouts that might make the job even easier.

You also mentioned changing over to aluminum siding. I assume you meant polished aluminum? A while back I was thinking of stripping the paint on my '85 Dolphin and polishing the aluminum but I just didn't have the energy at the time. Now the idea has popped back up and I think I'll do a test patch somewhere to see if the siding polishes to a mirror finish. I was told by a man at an old time trailer show that not all aluminum will come up to the mirror finish, so a test is in order.

John

Slide outs on a Toyota would be awesome. If you're a fabricator, a slide out really would not be that much work.

My question would be why did they stop making them? It would seem to be a good selling point expense, problems, too much weight?

Well they stopped making all Toyota Rv's. Only a few of companies made it into the 90's. Four Seasons closed in 1988 and they were the only company to make a slide out. This company also had some other modifications on their non slide out models that were unusual. Rear dinette model had a closet that tucked into the shower area when driving but folded out to the main living area to shower. They were also one of the few companies to take advantage of the Nissan v6 that was available 4 years before Toyota had a v6 chassis. Very narrow line between offering the best they can and still make a profit. As far as weight, no, brochures from the time do not put the slide out model as weighing any more than conventional Toyota motorhomes and lighter than the Odyssey's. Co-owner on my minitruckcampers site Frank recently bought a super condition Slide out model and loves it.

Linda S

Thanks Linda ..

That rig is Awesome in the link ... I'm hooked now on a slide now ...

I think the only reason hardly any had slides was simply just that ... Not many rv builders used slides at that time ...

My toys gona be one sweet rig