My cruise control cable that is going through the firewall into the cab is cut, it looks like the cable itself has been discontinued by Toyota. Any suggestions on how I can get this fixed or find a replacement? The part number is 83731-35110, no one seems to carry it.

My source (toyota-parts.com) lists the part as available. But if not, try: Shelby and Sons, Inc. They are a salvage yard and they list a used servo and cable for a 91' 4 Runner for $35. (That PN also fits a 91' Toyota truck). Perhaps just the cable alone can be bought. Their number is; 1-800-248-7278. They are located in Frankfort, Il.

I am guessing you have not had a functioning cruise control yet. The one on my 93 winnie warrior (V6) works but I have found it to be only marginally useful.

That is because on anything but perfectly level land it works too good! Where as I would let it decelerate on a hill knowing I would get it back downhill, the CC pushes the gas - I am not willing to sacrifice the fuel mileage & I find the downshifts annoying.

I can appreciate you wanting to make it work - just wanted to add my 2 cents - I would not spend a lot to get it working.

Did I understand a previous owner cut the cable?

It does look like the cable was cut, I am doing some upgrades on my 1989 V6 Warrior that I hope will make the cruise control worth it. I just picked up a 4.56 Differential that will be swapped in next week. That plus a K&N intake and new 2.25 exhaust will hopefully let me cruise a little easier.

I am really struggling with my cruise control, I thought I identified which cable was cut but I'm more confused now than ever. The cable I need is the one that is attached to the gas pedal, it is attached next to the main throttle cable. The issue is I have no idea where the cut cable leads to. I have read all the diagrams and nothing helps. So to recap, where does the cruise control cable that is connected to the gas pedal go to?

On mine it doesn't. The factory throttle cable goes to the gas pedal and to the butterfly. The "cruise control" cable should hook up at almost the same place and then goes to the cruise control servo. The servo can be vacuum powered or electric. Often its on the drivers side fender well.

Mine is a vacuum system however I cannot identify where the cable would attach to the servo. On one end of the servo there is a cable that goes to the butterfly, the other end just has wires going through the firewall.

I mis spoke slightly, the throttle cable goes to a bellcrank that is connected to the butterfly by a short pushrod, the transmission downshift cable is actuly connect to the butterfly and runs down under the floorboard to the transmission.

Is that the cable your are talking about?

Some pictures might clear things up.

1. Red Cable goes down into the transmission

2. Green Cable is the main throttle cable that goes into the firewall and is connected to the gas pedal

3. Yellow cable is connected to the cruise control servo.

The cable that is not pictured is also connected to the gas pedal but has been cut, I have no idea where this one goes. I imagine it also goes through the firewall and connects to....what?

wide shot

close

Clueless. About the only crazy thing I can think of is cruise control. In the old days there was a mechanical cruise control that used to mechanically locked the throttle pedal, it had a switch that would release it when the brake was pushed. It did not vary the throttle on the engine but just locked the gas pedal.

Maybe what you have left is from someone uninstalling the old system.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ripped the whole thing out and installed a new electronic cruise control, install was simple and I'm thrilled! With my 4.56 gears I can cruise at 65mph with my cruise control all day long.