Towing A Motorcycle

bjkenny

- Hitch on the 87 dolphin. What did Toyota/Dolphin have in mind when putting the hitch on an already loaded vehicle?

- what is the feasibility of towing an approx 600lb motorcycle behind a 1987 toyota dolphin 22re. Beyond the obvious gas mileage and top(??) speed.

- Anyone with experience towing (not mounting above the bumper) a motorcycle?

Thanks for any input memers can provide

Yes the hitch is oem from dolphin

But dolphin says straight up it has no towing capAcity

It is a contradiction.

Totem hauls his harley with a 22re toyhome but not using that bumper

How can it have a OEM hitch when Toyota says no towing. People have towed cars with them but don't forget first you have to be able to stop 6000# that is not a task to be taken lightly for some thing that is all ready over loaded.How much does the trailer weight? Add a 600# Harley you maybe be close to a 1/2 ton. I wouldn't do it even if the hitch was welded to the engine.

Its put on by national rv.

Im not sure toyota says anything about what a dolphin can tow but national rv says nothing

This is a bumper top hitch. Its on several hundred thousand dolphins. National rv put them there because they sold rvs

My Escaper has a very sturdy looking hitch I plan on using to haul a 300 pound motorcycle on with a hitch hauler. I am also installing firestone air bags in it to make sure it will handle the load on the back. I am sure the hitch on mine is a heavy duty hitch and I will get pictures of it next time I am under the truck this week.

Totem has an 86 sunrader

Ive found a lot of people with towing motorcycles on this board but no one is using the stock hitch on a dolphin without welding an extension

I've towed my 1600# Geo Metro quite a bit behind my '85 Dolphin. The stock hitch that National RV installed was a joke, more suited for a rack holding a couple of aluminum lawn chairs than actually towing anything. I had about $300 worth of work done on the hitch, running lots of extra steel from the hitch forward to the main, original frame of the Toyota. The tongue weight is negligible when towing a car and that's the secret with these rigs, I think. The truck engine and transmission (mine's a 4 cylinder, automatic) is easily up to the task and I haven't had any problems, yet. I haven't done anything to the brakes, either. They're stock and so are the Geo's brakes. I just take it easy on the down side of the mountain passes and I try to stay ahead of the curve when towing.

When towing a trailer with a motorcycle, there's more tongue weight so the hitch should be beefed up plenty strong, but the Toyhome should handle it ok.

Definitely don't tow anything with the stock hitch! Toyota didn't install the hitch on any of these motorhomes, as far as I know. They were all installed by the various builders of the coach when they extended the frames to accomodate the longer camper part.

John

I have an '88 Escaper w/22re-auto and I have towed a lightweight ATV (400 lbs) on a lightweight trailer. The trailer slows me down on the local hills but the RV handles it ok.

You do have to remember that you are pulling a trailer no matter what the tow vehicle is. Towing a trailer will always increase your braking distances UNLESS YOU HAVE FUNCTIONING BRAKES ON THE TRAILER.

I had a 1984 Dolphin-1983 Toyota truck, 22R 4speed. The hitch was welded to the frame and cross welded, not bolted to it. I occasionally did tow my Smoker Craft boat fitted with a 30HP mercury and full canvas. The boat rig weight in at 1360#. I did slow down to 50MPH and the breaking was reduced and the fuel mileage went down 2MPG. Did feel very comfortable with this tow. We would go to the upper lakes of Oregon which are at 6500" elevation. We now owen a 1994 Warrior with a bolted on hitch. Do not trust it to tow my boat, will have to get some welding done before I will try this tow.

I think I would put a little more credence in the VIN plate complete with a production date riveted to the door pillar than a bolted on core support and I bet the DMV would too.

I think I would put a little more credence in the VIN plate complete with a production date riveted to the door pillar than a bolted on core support and I bet the DMV would too.

fair enough but according to the dmv this was made in california by national rv 10 85. Toyotas manufacture date of the cab and chassis for 85 seems to be less exact.

It all depends.

Who cares what year RV you have when you go to buy parts for your TRUCK?

The VIN tells you what year the truck is, which is what matters when you're buying parts for your TRUCK.

Why this conversation is still going on, and has migrated over to a towing thread, I have no idea.

Somewhere on this site I asked the same question, then posted what I did about it. I got the 4x8 harbor freight 1700 # trailer, put in an expanded mesh floor, and put my bike (Honda XR250L, about 290 #) on the trailer with the hitch on a scale. I moved the bike back and forth until I had 40# tongue weight, and placed the front wheel "shoe" at that point so when the bike is slipped into the wheel shoe and tied in I only have 40 # on the ball. I welded the square receiver to the crappy 4" "bumper" and have been towing the bike everywhere I go. Mileage suffers (12-16 MPG) but when I pull the same bike on my pickup the mileage also drops 2-3-4 MPG. Put a backup camera on and backing up is easy.