Black Water Tank

89toycentral

I have a leak at the black water tank neck that was repaired by a previous owner but has started to leak again. I'm not sure what the tank is made of. Is it ABS or High Density Polyethylene or something else? I'm looking at using "Mr. Sticky's" glue. The question comes from them as well so they can recommend the proper product. It's an 89 Dolphin and everything under there appears to have been coated black so I don't really know what I'm looking at.

We have enjoyed the Dolphin and saw 2-3 Toyota RV's this past July in Yellow Stone. It was a great trip. Karri

My tanks are a nylon plastic material and glue or epoxy will not stick. The pipes that attach to the tanks are ABS. Is the leak the actual tank, the pipe or where the pipe inserts into the tank? I knocked off my valves one day then ran over them. And after putting it all back together it leaked where the abs inserted into the tank fitting. Problem was I put it together when it was cold and so the tank flange was not soft enough to squeeze down onto the pipe. Also if that is where the leak is there might now be debris between the two and you will have to take it all apart and clean it well then put it back together. Heating the tank flange with a hair dryer on high then tightening the hose clamp.

• 3 weeks later...

After talking with my husband, it appears the tank is white with the black ABS drain pipes. The leak is where the ABS inserts into the tank. The previous owner/owners had put all kinds of goop on it which we cleaned off to see what we are dealing with. Thank you all for your responses. This site has been so helpful. Karri

If the tank is white it is probably polyethylene. Much harder to get a proper seal at home. Try what Greg said he did on his.

Here is another method I found online

Clean the tank outlet with a strong solvent such as MEK or acetone, then coat the part of the ABS pipe that will insert into the tank outlet with a high quality polyurethane ADHESIVE/sealant like 3M 560 or 3M 5200 fast cure. Secure with a hose clamp and allow the sealant to completely cure before leak testing.

Linda S

You will never seal it from the outside with any kind of "goop".

I had to cut the ABS pipe off and use a sanding drum to grind out the ABS pipe until I was down to the Poly. Then cleaned everything and used Linda's method. You cant just re-glue it because the Poly part wont be perfect. The sealant is thick enough to fill in the gaps.

If the neck on the tank itself is long enough you can just cut the ABS pipe. Then use a rubber coupler and hose clamps over the outside of the tank neck and ABS pipe to make things watertight.