Hi I'm a new owner 1987 Sunrader 4x4. I'm new to full floater axles. How do I identify if I have the rear full floater 1 ton? Looks like I have a 6 lug and running MAXXIS RADIAL 751 LT 215 75R15. 6PR 100/97 S with S stamped on tire max tire = 1765lbs. Would you recommend re packing the axle? I have no idea when it was last serviced?

post-7537-0-67292400-1385768672_thumb.jp

post-7537-0-54274600-1385768705_thumb.jp

Had a Toyota 4x4 before, or is this your first? Pretty much every IFS (independent front suspension) 4x4 Toyota from '86-95 has a nasty metallic grating/screeching/popping noise when you crank the wheel all the way one way or the other. The absolute only reason to "fix" this is if you can't stand the noise. And expect to fix it again every few years. There are some metal parts in the front suspension that rub together, and are covered in rubber. Rubber wears off, and you get that sound. It doesn't hurt anything.

Doesn't mean it couldn't use new suspension...these things almost always do. But it's probably not your shocks making noise.

Steering stop caps. These are after market and supposed to be better. They do look much thicker than the ones I got from toyota. Mine lasted about a week before they fell off. I just ignore the sound now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-95-TOYOTA-Pickup-4-Runner-all-T100-Steering-Stops-NEW-DESIGN-/321179365054?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item4ac7c82ebe&vxp=mtr#ht_2205wt_880

Linda S

Thanks. I now have zurcs on the front and pumped some grease in, definately an improvement! Front shocks are rusty so I'm getting new shocks up front. Question: has anyone upgraded the leaf springs in rear with air bag shocks? Worth doing? My Neighbour did so on his Tacoma and loves them. If you have what parts do I order? I'm installing the front shocks myself. Never installed rear air bags - easy to do?

Thanks. I now have zurcs on the front and pumped some grease in, definately an improvement! Front shocks are rusty so I'm getting new shocks up front. Question: has anyone upgraded the leaf springs in rear with air bag shocks? Worth doing? My Neighbour did so on his Tacoma and loves them. If you have what parts do I order? I'm installing the front shocks myself. Never installed rear air bags - easy to do?

Most Sunraders after 86 had air bags from the factory. Maybe they didn't put them on the 4x4's. Here are the right ones for a toyota. They do have ones just for a motorhome but only for 2wd so these are for the 4x4 truck

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=4491&selected_year=1987

Just scroll all the way down to the air lift. I don't think installation is too complicated. My schrader valves to fill mine are behind the drivers side rear wheel

Linda S

I've no idea what the difference is between the 2 kits listed and which one is correct for your 4x4. Either might require some modification to install if some of your motorhome bits interferes. But not rocket science, I'm sure.

The Airlifts give up to 2000lb of lift. The larger diameter Firestones up to 5000lb. An 'air shock' maybe up to 1000lb. IMHO, not worth bothering with and generally not recommended for this application. The 'up to' will depend on how much air you put in. I think the Airlift and Firestone kits are about the same price. I'd chose a 5000lb kit, just for the added flexibility.

• 2 years later...

Those are light truck tires I think. Best to go with a commercial tire, I got 8 GoForm 185r14c (yes, that's the size) 8 ply from ebay for $480 with free shipping. Last I looked they make a 15" variety as well