youve got millions of personal toyota truck owners who do have experience telling you to use synthetics.

You've just got to tell me where you're getting this from... :)

I agree that synthetics have better protection. The best argument I've heard is for people in very cold climates, because it doesn't need to warm up before it starts protecting the engine.

But with all these Toyotas on the road for 200,000+ miles, using conventional oil, I just don't see the strong argument for synthetics. If you feel warm & fuzzy knowing your engine is getting that extra level of protection, cool. But the evidence I see points to a more ambiguous conclusion. Meaning: anyone who feels really strongly about one side or the other of the conventional/synthetic argument and completely dismisses the other side of the argument is not being rational.

Obviously conventional protects just fine. There's no reason someone using synthetic should look down on someone using conventional, and vice versa.

I don't think synthetics are snake oil. But I think they can create leaks in an older, not-as-well maintained vehicles, and if you're on any kind of budget or just careful with your money, I think there's no need to feel like you should be using it. Conventional works just fine.

I think it made a larger difference in the earlier days, but the standards for newer oils are much better, except for some wear additives that have been dropped due to catalyic muffler concerns. There seems to be most agreement that the synthetics have a higher resistance to heat, which is a consern for some. I have seen over time more and more OEM specs requiring synthetic. The Subaru 4 bangers are conventional oil for the normal motor, but change to full synthetic for the same motor with the tubrocharger. I was so shocked how hot the oil was the first time I changed the oil in my 2008 Subaru 3L 6 Outback, no turbo, I researched it to see if my car had a problem and no they all just run that hot. So I switched it over to Mobil 1 also.

As with tire pressure opinions YMMV, it's your car do what you feel best with, there's no reason to justify what you want for yourself to anyone else.

John

The only country in the world that allows Mobile One to be called synthetic is the US.and they are not alone the rest get away with it too money talks. Yes there are really true syn. oils but only no more then 3 on the market in the states. In Europe and Japan where only the true full syn. can be advertised as such many of the Co. do make a synthetic oil.

i believe by a complete definition only amsoil and redline and some castrol edge are fully synthetic.

the drain interval for an airplane is huge in comparison to a car. a car needs altering to use oil that long in the first place.

amsoil has been selling airplane oil to car owners since the 50s thats what they do. i dont think theyve ever produced one study that shows it does anything to be honest....

if you only say amsoil is really synthetic and then you compare the price to dino, ignoring everything else on the market you can say' dont bother using synthetic oil on a car not made for it from the 80s and 90s.'

when you compare the actual wear data when used in a car mobil 1 might be better than redline. oil nerds can debate how synthetic does it need to be for car use. somewhere else hopefully.

you always have to factor in dollars into the equation...i try to use synthetic in the toyhome and the reason I use is that it runs hot. the oil will turn to sludge less likely. mine gets hot on a long trip

most toyhomes have low miles and they also have lots of start up miles on them another area where sythetic has proven to reduce wear. I feel like all the miles on a toyhome are beyond severe

but ill change it to dino oil if i find 5 quarts cheap. clean oil is always best.

it is something called an adaptive reasoning, you adapt the data and apply it to whats for sale in the store for how much.

some people need a non adaptive answer like buy this only buy this only. you need an education level and then you can make an educated decision. but until you see the $$ you have nothing.

ya there are some of those realy old people on here who are lost on where they really are . i know i am and i dont care . if i had the money to buy another brand new rig i might use some of that hyfluten oil. but for me i havent wasted any money on it yet. been driving since 1969 three autos with 200.ooo plus over the years. if some want to buy that let them go for it . i dont need it . i try to respect every body . dont forget there are older folks on here. i know respect for other people is out of date and old fasioned.

Derek up North

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2548209

Great read, I haven't seen that one before.

I am using the 'Mobil 1 High Vechile Mileage' in my Toy for the antiwear additive package. This was originally brought to my attention by JD in an older post on this subject, and was backed up by a post similar to this one also from Bob The Oil Guy's site.

I do notice that the oil gets darker faster on the Toy than on the Ford.

john

something i knew already is that for the most part supertech, the walmart brand of full sythetic is made by exxon mobile, or the same brand as mobil 1. It is also why mobil 1 is getting cheaper in walmart, its an evil cabal between the two.

I read that in that thread from bob is the oil guy dealing with mobil one and what is full synthetic.

however the other brand i often pick up at walmart is shell rotella, which is made by their main competitor penzoil shell.

so really walmart is an equal opportunity evil big oil corporation supporter.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-SuperTech-Full-Synthetic-10W30-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/16474422

here you go its literally cheaper than conventional oil per quart. cannot beat that, it is at least related to mobil 1 if not almost the same thing. run closer to 6k miles for a old toyota truck.

but thats nothing compared to dexron 6 or mercon 5 for 3.50 a quart

there are breakthroughs in technology followed by breakthroughs in mass production. synthetic oil has long since passed the expensive phase take advantage of it if you can.

FWIW, currently all the Wallyworld (US) SuperTech engine oil & ATF seems to come from CITGO. I'm guessing the supplier can change as Wallyworld negotiates (annually?) with suppliers. I also noticed references that there MIGHT be regional variations.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1132921

The only country in the world that allows Mobile One to be called synthetic is the US.and they are not alone the rest get away with it too money talks. Yes there are really true syn. oils but only no more then 3 on the market in the states. In Europe and Japan where only the true full syn. can be advertised as such many of the Co. do make a synthetic oil.

Yes I guess your right about countries like Japan. Here a picture from a do-it-yourself hardware store in Japan. Notice the Mobile brand. Funny to see Toyota, Valvoline and Nissan advertise synthetic. Makes you wonder...

Max Factory Oil, ha! The make-up like oil to give a new face-lift to your engine. ;)

post-6384-0-20658300-1383616531_thumb.jp