Water and waste management

Debbit

This thread is somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Being desert dwellers, and residents of a state in serious drought, we possibly think more about water usage and conservation. My son and family go out a lot in a big rig, carry and use a lot of water, and I've watched people at dump stations dumping big tanks of black and grey water, while sort of mentally shaking my head, ugh.

Camping in our westfalia, we have more of a tent camping mentality. Even though we could sleep in a comfy bed, use a heater and fix coffee in the morning in our little house, we still used a bucket for grey water and dumped it out away from the site.

On our first real trip in the toyota, the water pump quit and the greywater/black water tank was leaking. We were overnight in paved parking lots, and it just didn't work AT ALL! Leaking in the woods is one thing, in a wal mart parking lot is another! Even though we weren't using water, we must have had a little water in there, as we left little puddles....

The toy homes are not as big as full sized rigs, they still feel like RVs but it seems to me the weight of carrying so much water can't be good. I'm relieved that the leaky tank is gone, but I know we will have to replace it with something.

May change my mind, but we have a nice new porta potty sitting where the toilet used to be, and it feels like much better waste management. A nice new water pump is installed and it works great.

We have a 12 gallon portable waste water tank we will park under the sink, and that is a good short term fix.

I guess what I'm mulling over is how much convenience changes habits. If we have water, we use water. I like having hot, running water inside my little cabin, but when I have it, I use a lot of it. I like the idea of a quick, warm shower while camping, but I'm sure I don't have to have one.

I think a grey water tank under the kitchen sink drain and a porta potty will work for us. When we are in an rv park or paved area, no showering or use of bathroom sink.

Yesterday I went to camping world to get the new water pump. While I saw lots of things I'd like to buy for the dolphin, I didn't see one rig I'd rather have than the little toy. There is a lot of satisfaction in making something exactly what you like and need.

I have an 18 ft Sunrader. My water heater has never worked and I have no intention of fixing it. I'm camping, not going to the ball. If I need to clean up I use a towel and the kitchen sink. Campgrounds sometimes have showers but the best is just camping near a lake and jumping in. I do have a flush toilet but a porta pottie wouldn't bother me at all. An inside toilet of some kind is a must. After years of camping in a van, walking to a pit toilet in the middle of the night is not something I ever want to do again. Yes less is more. I like having the comforts of an RV, but within reason. Many times I have camped in places where there were no other RV's cause they are all too big. Those are always the nicest places to camp too.

Linda S

I agree on having some kind of inside toilet...I'll be buying a small porta potties before long. I use my Chinook too much where I don't feel like getting a hotel, which means parked on a street or in a parking lot...and sneaking into the bushes in the middle of the night if I need to get up & go to the bathroom. I'm thinking a little folding toilet seat set up with a chemical bag hanging under it. Whitewater rafting trip style.

Yeah, people take this stuff too far. IMO. But they're probably the same people who waste water and fuel without a second though when they're home, too.

A simple and field expedient solution to potty problems.

1. If your concern is with #2 you can use the following suggestion: Purchase a large capacity contoured plastic bed pan. Carex P704-00 is what I use. Line it with a plastic shopping bag (supermarket type) or purchase 4 gal. Kitchen bags. Add 1 or 2 folded paper towels to the bottom. Add your roll of tp and a pkg. of baby wipes which fit nicely inside the lined pan. Upon completion, wipe with tp followed by baby wipes. Remove the bag as a unit and discard. Its clean, sanitary and does away with sloshing chem potties.

Reline and store for next use. Ladies this will not work for your #1.

Actually it could if you had enough lining material to absorb all the liquid.

I was thinking of something like this. It would only be used for "emergencies" or special circumstances inside the camper. But if I bought a camping shower stall type set up, it could be used outside, if there is no pit toilet, or I'm going to be in an area long enough that just digging holes won't cut it.

Just fold it up & store when not in use...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Reliance-Fold-to-Go-Toilet/1152233.uts?productVariantId=2870290&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03132611&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=D401F915-921B-E011-8E88-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640534271&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=58018121111&gclid=CIi-ncvXq7oCFSrhQgod1XYALg

Wow...this is the last review...some other reviewers seemed to expect it to be "real" toilet and complained...this guy loved it but is not someone I'd want to be out on the town with!

I wonder if he meant to review the "little john portable urinal" on the same page...that would make me feel a little better.

March 2, 2012
One of the best purchases i ever made! Fits in my backpack and now whenever I get an upset stomach I just whip this baby out and am immediately relieved! Perfect for camping, on trains, city sidewalks, back of cabs (the mini-van ones), or at concerts when you don't want to give up your spot. Only complaints are it doesn’t have a curtain for privacy and I wish it came in more colors.

Yeah I've seen those and considered it...but since the Chinook is so small, I like that the one in my link collapses down to a briefcase size. "Business papers". :)

That bucket would take up a lot of floor space.

Otherwise it would be the cheapest solution. Looks like it sits a little higher than the folding one I linked, too, which would be nice.

Ya know proper use of the factory plumbing is not a big deal. With my Escaper we could go 2 days with the water on board and waste tank capacity. 3 days if we could gopher hole the gray water. That works out to 8-10 gallons of water a day for 2 people, that is not what I would call wasteful.

Knowledge and planning are very powerful tools. Warm showers, hot water for dishes is good stuff. I would fill the propane tank at the beginning of the season and maybe once during the summer. Wife likes a heater on some spring/fall nights so we use it and all is good.

As always your mileage may vary

Ya know proper use of the factory plumbing is not a big deal. With my Escaper we could go 2 days with the water on board and waste tank capacity. 3 days if we could gopher hole the gray water. That works out to 8-10 gallons of water a day for 2 people, that is not what I would call wasteful.

Knowledge and planning are very powerful tools. Warm showers, hot water for dishes is good stuff. I would fill the propane tank at the beginning of the season and maybe once during the summer. Wife likes a heater on some spring/fall nights so we use it and all is good.

As always your mileage may vary

Unfortunately many small toys did not come equipped with toilets. For those of us with no toilets this can become a problem. An alternative to the not always available rest area is needed.

Yes, and as the OP said in the OP, the thread is a bit tongue in cheek.

I don't see the full use of available rv appliances/amenities as wasteful. Having a little hot water to do the dishes or take a quick shower is ok by me (not that anyone needs my approval).

Just like you can waste resources at home, you can waste them on the road.

In my mind, just having an rv is serious luxury. A roof, standing room, stovetop and sink? Electricity? Amazing! Anything more beyond hot water...is just crazy! :)

My husband is 3 weeks retired. We took off on a whim yesterday late morning. Threw in a few groceries, the dogs and headed for the Gila wilderness. New water pump was working, porta potty in the place of original toilet.

The toyota got 17.5 mpg at 55+ mph from las cruces to caballo lake. It had no problem with Emory pass at 9000+ ft. And handled great on the tight curves.

It was beautiful up there, and we had the campground to ourself on a Tuesday night.

Used the campground toilets, except for night use. (bears out there, I'm sure)

Lit the water heater and I love having hot water!

It is IMPOSSIBLE to position a portable wastewater tank to catch the flow from the kitchen sink drain. We will need a wastewater tank for "civilized" camping.

Probably should have started a different thread for this, but it seems on the topic of customizing toy home plumbing.

I think these little RVs are PERFECT.

Little buddy on the "hearth" and kitchen in frosty morning light

post-7310-0-56169300-1382566812_thumb.jp

post-7310-0-73203800-1382566832_thumb.jp

Afterthought.

We have been trying to plan a trip where we take the westfalia. I do love the westy, but it is hard. The toy is just so NICE to camp in. And now I wonder...why is it kitchen sink water running on the ground from a vw westfalia seem acceptable to me, but not from a small rv?

We dont let it drain out in developed campgrounds, that's why we have a portable grey water tank. But it doesn't seem half as "wet"