Anyone have any good ideas or pictures of a Rear Bumper? Front Bumper?

We are looking to make a practical Rear Bumper that will hold bikes, firewood, etc. Can't hold too much because it would be about 8ft away from the axle.

Also looking to make a "rock crawler" type Front Bumper with a winch that won't look too :angry2: mean that could possibly hold a dirt bike.

Haven't measured if it would fit your rig but this thing rocks. Not too far away. Brush guard and winch bumpers can cost hundreds and hundreds. Also might be a good idea to go to Summit Racing in Reno and get a better idea of what your looking for. What does your existing rear bumper look like now.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/4096747084.html

Linda S

I'm also in this thought right now & had just come to the forum to ask the very same questions ... + a bit more . I'm looking at making a front grill guard , as we are driving south into Mexico it helps to have one , stray animals can run out at any time & bring an end to a trip fast . I was even thinking of going up on both sides with 2 poles & running the same back at 2ft above cab level .. Thus giving a front storage platform .. Only for light things like folding chairs & body boards , inflatable kayak . Then on the back a small box with LPG tank & bbq storage ( outdoor kitchen ) ya baby . Luv our new Toyota .. But wish it had a bit more outside storage !!

Yo people, reality check...........A normal Toy is a couple of hundred lb over Max GVW. Adding front and rear storage, a bull bar,, now your 1000 lbs over. And you want to drive on the secondary roads in Mexico??

I built a box bumper for the rear. It is 4"x4" x 3/16". I then welded brackets to the bumper and the brackets to the frame. Strong enough for my needs because I won't be doing any heavy hauling. That tin foil stock bumper is scary. All those multi-tasking tailgaters could be in my front seat in short order with the stock bumper protecting my backside.

Nicehobbits: If you make it back out of Mexico, please give us a trip report. I've avoided Mexico for the past 15 years. Is that foolish of me? I would be interested in a firsthand account. Anyone else with recent Mexico experience?

Thanks.

Toy home

I've traveled to Mexico multiple times ... Driving is a breeze ... Saying that myself wife & sons 6,9,18,21 are all open minded free thinkers that live life to the max brother ..... This winter myself & the wife & little guys will be enjoying the pacific beaches all the way to Belize .

In the late 90's we bought a old landrover & drove it through England , Europe , Middle East including Iran ,Pakistan & on to India .

I lost my "tin foil" rear bumper while driving through Minnesota last year. If I was at home I would have made my own bumper but being on the road, I was left at the mercy of whoever I could find that would fit me into their schedule.

I was lucky and found a small town machine shop that worked on my RV right away. The owner asked me what I wanted and he called in a part time employee that came in and built a great bumper. It is made of 4" x 4" x 3/16" steel just like toyohome described. He made some really nice mounting brackets and even welded on the 2" receiver that was bolted to the old bumper. With the bracing that he added, the bumper is probably the strongest part of my toyhouse.

I use a carrier with a lightweight plastic box to haul my lawn chairs, lightweight table, leveling jacks, etc. It is sure nice getting that stuff out of the coach.

But we nice Hobbits Corbin ... Plus we need to find the Ring lol