New Heater problem

ShaggyRV

OK. So my furnace lights no problem. A new issue has popped up. When it gets to the set temp inside the thermostat clicks. this used to cause the flame to shut off then the fan would run to purge out any unburned gas. then after a few seconds the fan would shut off. Well now the flame stays burning and when the fan stops the flame keeps going then slowly goes away. Its like the gas valve is not shutting properly. The flame eventually goes out but it takes a bit. What made me see this was happening was that last night I was using the furnace for a little while in the driveway. Shut off thermostat and left. Today I go to the RV and smell gas. I turn off the gas for awhile and let it air out. I then turned and the gas and lit the furnace. This is when I noticed the abnormal behavior. After it shut off I started smelling gas again. I'm thinking gas valve or main board. Can I test the valve?

I wouldn't light the furnace again until you find the gas leak.

An old trick I've used in the past is to buy a bottle of kids bubble soap and put it into a small spray bottle. Spray all your gas connections and look for leaks. You should see bubbles where the leak(s) are. Is your lp tank almost empty? It could be a pressure issue.

It also works well for tires.

They are supposed to do a pre and post purge of the fire box it could be possible that the controller is holding the gas valve on also. That is not a good thing I would leave that one to a certified tech.

Well thank you so far to all who have replied. I'm going in with my multimeter to start checking things out. I'll let you guys know what I find. BTW I have been working on electronics for over 35 years. I just wanted to see if anybody had some past experience with this issue. I can figure it out though. Wish me luck!

Check the shut off valve, does it use voltage to open AND close it? Or is it Voltage open spring close? See if it comes apart and price a new one. Decide piece of mind or $$$

It is a dual valve fairly complex. If it's powered with the fan off the control board is toes up. Dumb question how is the gas stove? Blow torch or normal?

The stove, oven and fridge are fine. I don't use the hot water heater as it was bypassed when I bought the rig. I verified the furnace doing the same thing today. Verified the gas is leaking from the furnace. Found a melted wire. something shorted in there. Anyhow I turned off the valve for the furnace and no more leak. Further troubleshooting to follow when I get the time.