Hi All

On the 22RE ('84). Does replacing the head gasket mean might-as-well replace the timing chain, labor-wise? (i.e., does the timing cover have to come off to do the heads)

Also, when you get a sec, can you take a look at my last post on "serious miss/skip" and tell me what you think?

I will try posting a few brief vids. under that topic heading now....

It's about double the labor yes the case has to come off if you are going to replace the chain but not so the head gasket. They are good to around 100-150K then they start to rattle and by that time the guides are pretty well beat up too.

Yes I was quoted $900 for the head gasket and $1700 for the timing chain.

$1700 would be absurd in my area of NY unless we're talking a Toyota dealership. Complete new timing set is $45, head-gasket set is $40, and new head bolts are $20. That's $105 in parts and maybe add another $30 for new oil and coolant. $135 from $1700 is $1565. It's a 12 hour job max and ought to get done a few hours quicker unless there are a lot of stuck bolts. That comes to an hourly rate of $128. In my area, about the highest shop rate around (private shop) is $58 and most are $45. Now if a new front crank seal/oil-pump and housing ($40) and new water pump ($18) are part of the deal - that price sounds a little better.

$1700 would be absurd in my area of NY unless we're talking a Toyota dealership. Complete new timing set is $45, head-gasket set is $40, and new head bolts are $20. That's $105 in parts and maybe add another $30 for new oil and coolant. $135 from $1700 is $1565. It's a 12 hour job max and ought to get done a few hours quicker unless there are a lot of stuck bolts. That comes to an hourly rate of $128. In my area, about the highest shop rate around (private shop) is $58 and most are $45. Now if a new front crank seal/oil-pump and housing ($40) and new water pump ($18) are part of the deal - that price sounds a little better.

I agree, for that price, (Toyota like dealership quote). I can get a total rebuilt engine with some cash left over at that price. My head leaks a trickle of oil, not much to worry about at this point. When worse comes to worse I will take it over to my back alley buddy and do it myself.

Hey where in NY

rate where I am Andes west of Kingston sixty bucks to seventy five an hr ...

Andes is nowhere near Kingston unless there's another Andes I'm not privy too. We have an Andes near me by New Kingston and Margaretsville. Note "New Kingston" has nothing to do with Kingston that is downstate in the Hudson Valley.

I'm in the Worcester-Cooperstown-Cobleskill-Oneonta area. Just a hop-skip-and-a-jump from Delhi, New Kingston, Andes, etc. I used to go to many logging road-calls in the Andes/New Kington area. In fact - did I read somewhere that Andes has ceased to exist as a Town? Thought I read it got incorporated into something else.

Four local auto repair shops in my area. I help out at one of them, off and on. The lowest is $45 an hour and the highest is $58 an hour (former Chevy dealer before it got Obamafied). Also a small body shop that does custom work for $30 an hour. Before I closed my shop to the general public, I was getting $30 per hour (closed it in 1991).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, JD, can you give me the names of those shops, including the one that does the custom work, and esp the one you where you moonlight?

Thanks!

JD has not posted on this site in a while. Try sending him a private message. He should get a notice of it in his email.

Linda S