"The RV is in perfect condition"

grandview bill

Those words from the sellers ad still ring in my ear. there is no such thing.After working on this perfect rv everyday for 5-6 weeks(i lost track of time,am i losing consciousness?)maybe i'll list all the work done.but its really a statistics game.when i bought,i knew there was enough right with the unit i could do some work...but who knew there would be mosquitos this year of biblical proportions.they hover around the rv waiting....for that guy carrying all those tools.My simple formula for rv ownership...WHEN TIME SPENT ON PROBLEMS EXCEEDS TIME ON ENJOYMENT.....ITS OUTTA HERE....This has been a 3AM rambling by ..grandview Bill

Those words from the sellers ad still ring in my ear. there is no such thing.After working on this perfect rv everyday for 5-6 weeks(i lost track of time,am i losing consciousness?)maybe i'll list all the work done.but its really a statistics game.when i bought,i knew there was enough right with the unit i could do some work...but who knew there would be mosquitos this year of biblical proportions.they hover around the rv waiting....for that guy carrying all those tools.My simple formula for rv ownership...WHEN TIME SPENT ON PROBLEMS EXCEEDS TIME ON ENJOYMENT.....ITS OUTTA HERE....This has been a 3AM rambling by ..grandview Bill

That forumal might work for some people. For some others though - part of the "enjoyment" is buying cheap and fixing it up.

I hear those words, or some version, in my head and I snort or grumble.

They said everything worked when we bought it. I didn't realize how much damage just being ignored can do to an RV. Yes, everything is there, and I'm sure it did work. Poor thing.

I think you were the only person who understood my point....the contradiction in what the sellers tell you and the truth....sparse commodity today.....Im 64 years old I have no illusions when I buy something as complex as an Rv as to listen to the buyer,I make my decisions on what knowledge I have....but some people dont have that expeience and are first time buyers,they tend to trust people,some sellers take advantage of that...those buyers get stuck 'picking up the pieces' this young woman who sold this rv was selling it for her aging parents,she probably never set foot in it.Its an odds game with me....is there enough right with this rv for the asking price that I should buy it? And am I avoiding the really expensive repairs....we looked for a year...no big money issues so far ,but many things I want correct.....breakdowns in acar are costly...theyre more costly in an rv...good luck Bill

As a first time owner of an RV I got very lucky. I found this site after I started looking for a Toyhouse but before I bought one. I looked at a couple of toys that were claimed to be in good shape but I could have stuck my finger through the roof or top bunk walls.

The woman that I bought my RV from knew that it had mechanical problems and jumped at my offer. The repairs would have cost over $2000 if taken to Camping World and Toyota dealer. Camping World gave her a price of almost $1000 for new water heater, did it myself for $300. The cab heater fan did not run, Toyota dealer said $300 for replacement, I disassembled the unit, cleaned out massive mouse house, replaced fuse, perfect working condition. Noise under the hood, she was told it needed a new fan clutch, Toyota dealer price $200, I put the correct belt on for a total price of $10. The list was pretty long but my friend that went to look at the RV with me agreed that I could get the unit road worthy for a reasonable price and have a really nice RV. She told me about all of the problems that she knew about and said that when she told everyone the problems, they ran away very fast. I sent her a very nice thank you note for informing of the problems. She did not have the skills necessary to do the repairs and would have had to pay the high prices. I got one heck of a good deal.

Not many sellers would have been as honest as she was.

Maintenance and repairs ,as you know are not just abstract ideas but add uo to time and money real issues.This is my 5th,I really dont enjoy the work anymore ,i do it because I can and it saves money and because my wife really wanted this rv again.So I'm a reluctant owner.i would just as well have the owner disclose the problems.In rural Minnesota many people would take a car in before they sold it and have everything fixed .Probably wont see that much anymore

I think you were the only person who understood my point....the contradiction in what the sellers tell you and the truth....sparse commodity today....

Yes - I agree about that "contradiction" being more common today as compared to the past. But I suspect part of that increase is based on things other then dishonesty. Collectively we are becoming a clueless society and are often ignorant as to how things work and/or how to fix them. I've met many auto, truck, and RV owners that knew little about how their rigs were supposed to work and even less as to what it takes to fix them. I know in my ilk of society, there were a heck of lot more people 50 years ago that had a good knowledge of how things worked and how to repair them - as compared to today. I looked at an RV recently and the owner told me all worked great "except' the battery would go dead if parked too long. I asked "which" battery and I got the "deer in the headlights" look. This guy had the RV for over two years and did not even know it was supposed to have dual batteries with an isolator. He wasn't lying - just clueless.

I went to buy a used car for my daughter and asked the woman on the phone if she had a clear title for it. She said yes. When I got there and agreed to buy the car - all she had was the NY registration and she did not even know what a title was!! At first I got wondering how that was even possible. Then I realized that this woman had bought all her cars from dealers who handled all the paperwork and did not know was a MV title looked like.

And yes, there are always crooks. In today's society where so many people feel that they are victims - seems they also think it's "normal" to screw the next guy. That has changed a bit over the years but to some degree, has always existed.

I'm still a firm believer in caveat emptor. If I buy something willingly - I only have myself to blame for getting screwed on a deal.

I think everyone got your point, but as with any topic, they responded to the part they were interested in.

Anyone who has bought a used vehicle is all too familiar with what you're talking about.

I just felt compelled to chime in on Linda's point that even in the middle of fixing things, you can still camp in it. I've been through the "stuff they didn't tell me about" enough over the past 8 months that I don't need to get back into that...

I purchased my Toyota from a retired Pastor but the guy pretty much knew nothing and did not have any records.

He purchased it from one of the members in his church about a month before he was to retire, took it to

a RV dealer and stated make it road ready to go from Northern CA to Indiana. All he knew was that it had

three new tires, a new coach AC unit, and new air coils/bags. I got her for a good price and felt a lot better

when I found a sticker on the engine that the timing belt was recently changed and by the same RV dealer

that my wife's grandma takes her RV to in Northern CA.

Since it is a Toyota truck chassis, I do take comfort that most repair places should be able to work on it

especially due to its smaller size vs a full size motorhome.

On the topic of titles and clueless sellers,

I'm disappointed the dolphin we bought has a bad fridge, and that it had water damage over the cab, and now the bottom edge is fixed, but gummed up with sealant. I'm angry that the previous owned was too lazy to drain the water out during the winter, and all the pipes leaked at the connections.

I'm glad the engine seems good and the air works, the tranny is strong and tires are good. Glad the water heater and furnace work, that the deep cell battery charges and runs the 12 v system. That all the lights work, and other little odds and ends work....I'm sure it is only IN SPITE OF RAMON.

But when we exchanged the money and got the title, it wasn't in the Sellers name. (Ramon) What? He said he never got it titled in his name because he lost his job and never used it.....unbelievable.

So I go to DMV with my fingers crossed, and when I get to the counter with all the necessary documents, I just tell them it hasn't been registered, nor driven since the registration expired and that I just bought it. They look at the title and say, you can't get this title transferred, the seller didn't sign In the right place.. Huh???

I don't know if the person who's name is on the title lives in town, or is even alive. Ramon said he bought it because the man was in poor health. The date was never filled in. Good thing, it had been sold to him almost 4 years ago. What a mess.

After begging, pleading and arguing with the DMV, they tell me i need to have the "sellers" sign a correction affidavit. the seller from four years ago. But I'm not telling them that!!

I give up and google the name. Nothing. So I drive to the address on the title. Lucky beyond belief, the are the original sellers, they are of sound mind and astounded that Ramon left the vehicle in their name four years.

We went together to a notary, properly signed affidavit and titled the RV in my name.

Ramon, you made me angry!!

You aren't the first person here to post this tale of woe.

Several of the grus post often that if the sellers name isn't on the title yyou should walk away.

In spite of things sounds like you will be able to travel the Yellow Brick Road in YOUR toy soon.

On the topic of titles and clueless sellers,

I'm disappointed the dolphin we bought has a bad fridge, and that it had water damage over the cab, and now the bottom edge is fixed, but gummed up with sealant. I'm angry that the previous owned was too lazy to drain the water out during the winter, and all the pipes leaked at the connections.

I'm glad the engine seems good and the air works, the tranny is strong and tires are good. Glad the water heater and furnace work, that the deep cell battery charges and runs the 12 v system. That all the lights work, and other little odds and ends work....I'm sure it is only IN SPITE OF RAMON.

But when we exchanged the money and got the title, it wasn't in the Sellers name. (Ramon) What? He said he never got it titled in his name because he lost his job and never used it.....unbelievable.

So I go to DMV with my fingers crossed, and when I get to the counter with all the necessary documents, I just tell them it hasn't been registered, nor driven since the registration expired and that I just bought it. They look at the title and say, you can't get this title transferred, the seller didn't sign In the right place.. Huh???

I don't know if the person who's name is on the title lives in town, or is even alive. Ramon said he bought it because the man was in poor health. The date was never filled in. Good thing, it had been sold to him almost 4 years ago. What a mess.

After begging, pleading and arguing with the DMV, they tell me i need to have the "sellers" sign a correction affidavit. the seller from four years ago. But I'm not telling them that!!

I give up and google the name. Nothing. So I drive to the address on the title. Lucky beyond belief, the are the original sellers, they are of sound mind and astounded that Ramon left the vehicle in their name four years.

We went together to a notary, properly signed affidavit and titled the RV in my name.

Ramon, you made me angry!!

You're lucky all worked out. I bought a truck in PA and when I got it back to NY I tried to register it. The title was signed to me by the correct owner in the correct place. BUT - Pennsylvania only allows a seller to sign the title in front of a Notary. NY says no good since they must honor whatever laws exist from where the title came from.

A year later - same thing happened to me in Maine. Maine also requires the title to be signed by the seller in front of a notary. In this case - I noticed right away since it states that Maine law on the title. I got the seller to get it done before I paid him.

Montana requires a notary but Washington, where I bought it, does not. There was no place on the Washington title to notarize. I was worried, and the seller was nice enough to offer to drive down to her bank with me and have someone notarize for us. She just got out two pieces of paper, wrote "seller" on one and "buyer" on the other, or something like that, and we each signed and had it notarized.

When I went to register it in Montana (permanent registration! $130 for transfer of title, new plates and life long registration), I had all the stuff with me just in case, but they never even asked. I gave them the title, un-notarized, and they transferred it. Things are still easy here.

Be careful of Wisconsin titles, if they show any lien holder's name (like a bank) on it, the title will not transfer.

In Indiana, the lien holder actually holds the title until the lien is paid in full and then mails it to the owner.

In Wisconsin, the owner holds the title with the lien holder's name on it and once paid in full the owner needs

to take the paid in full documentation to the BMV and get a new title issued, without the lien holders name on it.

Luckily the sellers bank was free.

I've been lucky to have a job where there's alway a notary around lately.

The last time I paid for one...I found the woman in the paper. She just did some notarizing on the side. I went to her house on a Sunday. She thought about it for a bit, and I think ended up asking me for $5.