Any Advice on First Purchase

rich roseboro

Hello - I am recently retired and I would like to purchase a Toyota motor home and do some serious touring of our great US... been doing a lot of research on these things and it's a bit confusing as to what i should purchase. I do think I would like a 6 cyl. in a "stick" shift..I will be traveling by myself most of the time so I don't think I need anything over 20' ...I live in western Pa...I'm thinking there might be certain models to avoid etc..any help out there ??....Thanx Rich

A V-6 with a 5 speed is the rarest of the rare. Folks have looked for years before settling on a V-6 automatic.

Good luck maybe you will stumble across one in the next town. :omg:

Here's the best advice I can give.....when purchasing or looking at Rvs...if you haven't owned before..take along or hire someone to look the unit...this person should have knowledge and experience in Rvs. When people buy expensive boats they hire a surveyor...having said all this making it happen isn't easy.....Bill

do a lot of research here 1st

look at different models some have rear bath some have dinning table and or small table

look for damage like wall paper pealing ..look under mattress for water damage/rot same as ceiling & wall & windows

look at engine a clean engine is a kept up engine ask if they have any paper work on repairs and or what have they have repaired..

and so much more.....

take extra person....

good luck!

I thought this posted pricing guideline pdf was pretty handy

Good luck with your purchase. :)

Here is a formula for calculating a fair price for a Toyota Motorhome.
Of course the final price will be determined by what a buyer is willing
to pay and that can vary be region and time of year.
This formula includes a base price plus also amounts to add-on for
additional desirable features. More and more however a fair price is
increasingly determined by condition (poor to outstanding) as well as
just features.
Start with this Rule of Thumb:
Take the last digit of the year, subtract 1, and multiply by $1000.
(Prices are based on model year, not chassis year which could be one
year previous.)
Add $10,000 if the 3rd digit in the year is a 9. (1990 - 1994)
For a 4 cyl. ('83 - '89) calculate as above. For example 1987 = $6000.
For a V-6 engine, add $1000. Prices for nice condition V-6s start at
about $9,000 (1989) up to about $14,000 or more for a 1994 (the last
year made). Then add (or subtract) for features and condition -- see below.
[For '77 to '82 motorhomes in decent condition (not pop-tops) the prices
rarely are below $1500. Pop-top Chinooks and others (un-restored) can
be a bit less.]
Then to this base price apply the following factors.
For low miles (<50K) or low miles on a new engine, add about $1000 or
more. For high miles (over 150K) subtract at least as much.
Add about $600 if it has a built-in generator. (They cost $2000+ to install).
Add about $800 for a substantial solar system (80 watts or more with
controller).
If the coach is rather dirty, has poor exterior stripes, or is from a seller
that has neglected it for some time, subtract $1000 - $2000 or more.
If it has water damage to the interior of the walls, subtract $500 to $3000,
depending on the extent of the damage. The same for exterior damage,
especially for rust from salt that has damaged the frame.
If the refrigerator is weak or non-functional, subtract $500-$900.
If the exterior stripes have been replaced with new or the coach exterior
has been nicely repainted, add $1000-$2000. (Nice-looking exteriors are
getting harder and harder to come by, as age takes its toll.)
Other desirable features that add to the value are:
All New Tires -- add about $400
Patio Awning -- add about $200. (They cost about $800 to install.)
New Refrigerator or refrigerator cooling unit -- add $200-$500
Dual Coach Batteries with integrated inverter -- add about $200
Upgraded Stereo System -- add up to $200 (depending on components
and quality)
Alarm System -- add about $100
Remote-start Water Heater -- add about $100
Television /DVD system -- add $50-$150
Microwave -- add about $50
- - - - -
If the coach is from a Private Seller that has not neglected it,
and overall it looks much cleaner than average and well cared for,
add about $800.
If it is from a refurbisher who has detailed it and specifically tested
and repaired all of the multiple systems (= nice peace of mind),
add $1000-$2000.
If it is from a Dealer that gives a warranty, add about $1000.
If it is a Sunrader (most sought after), add up to $1200 depending on model.
Specific coaches possibly have other unique upgrades that may add to the
value depending on what the buyer is looking for. Examples: new upholstery,
new curtains, new flooring material, a storage pod, Fantastic Fan, Maxx Vent
covers, remote-fill air-springs compressor, back-up camera, auxiliary (or
jumbo) gas tank, additional outside shower, etc.
Recent engine and chassis work (or neglect) is also a factor and difficult to
calculate except on a case-by-case basis:
New brakes, new shocks, new muffler, recent timing chain or belt change,
tune-up, lubrication, valve adjustment, radiator service, transmission service,
suspension upgrades -- all should be taken into consideration -- as should
lack of these things.
Having service receipts helps to document any additional value for such
maintenance and upgrades.
- - - - - -
These guidelines are based on an informal study of Toyota motorhomes
currently being listed and sold, and are generally higher than the so-called
"official" bluebook or Nada Guides pricing. Nada Guides lists only
"average" or "below-average" condition, and unfortunately does not have a
category for pricing coaches that are well cared for and in top condition.
One additional note: eBay prices are different from in-person sales from
private sellers or dealers. eBay tends to be as much as 10% to 20% lower
when there is the unknown factor of buying a vehicle sight-unseen.
When buying from eBay, a pre-bid inspection is highly recommended.

The RV that you posted has the upgraded rear axle. That is something that you definitely need.

Hi, all. I'm new here and am also shopping. I have been reading thru comments last couple days and appreciate all the input and exchange between you all, and can see me wanting to draw on your communal experience as I come to a decision. For example, the list above re.: pricing should be a big help.

How do you know if the Toy has the better axle? Anything else that would definitely be a plus or a warning flag that I need to watch for? I know to look for water damage- what else might be $ pit in prospective purchase?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Rear axle (needs to be full float 1 ton)

Water damage

Auto Tranny rear bearing (used on 4 cyl)

V6 recall complied with

Tires need to be 6 or 8 ply and less than 6 years old.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hello - I am recently retired and I would like to purchase a Toyota motor home and do some serious touring of our great US... been doing a lot of research on these things and it's a bit confusing as to what i should purchase. I do think I would like a 6 cyl. in a "stick" shift..I will be traveling by myself most of the time so I don't think I need anything over 20' ...I live in western Pa...I'm thinking there might be certain models to avoid etc..any help out there ??....Thanx Rich

For myself . . . I would not buy a Toyota RV in the northeast that is built with a wooden frame. I think most if not all Dolphins have wooden frames. Sunraders, later Minicruisers, and Winnebago use a metal framework for the RV body. Whatever you pick - check info on that particular model and year.

Hi, all. I'm new here and am also shopping. I have been reading thru comments last couple days and appreciate all the input and exchange between you all, and can see me wanting to draw on your communal experience as I come to a decision. For example, the list above re.: pricing should be a big help.

How do you know if the Toy has the better axle? Anything else that would definitely be a plus or a warning flag that I need to watch for? I know to look for water damage- what else might be $ pit in prospective purchase?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

The "better" rear axle will have wheels held by 6 lugs and have a protrusion sticking out the center. Better yet is one with the front wheels matching the rear. Some older RVs that have been upgraded to not have front wheels that match the back.

Otherwise, look at a lot of photos of interior layouts. As soon as you buy yours, you're going to see how some other rv interiors are laid out differently, and how much "better" they are. That's unavoidable to some extent, and the grass is always greener.

But some rv interiors are clumsy, cramped, and not well planned. Try to get an idea of some different layouts, and what would work better for you.

Plug time...If you are located in the Midwest, you could attend the October 4-6 Toyota Rally, it would

allow you to see first hand 6 to 10 different floor layouts and can ask questions all day long.

The campground does rent out cabins.

Dennis...

Wow! Thanks everyone for quick and detailed reply- but feel free to keep posting opinions & recommendations.

While I was waiting on reply, I did find the link describing the recall and possible remedies, so I think I have a good idea what to look for as far as the axle goes. Two local Toyotas for sale are both Travelmaster Savannahs, I believe (1 for sure, other not clear in pic or text); 1 an '86, other an '87, both 22re's. From what I understand, the '87 should be good (and is so stated in the ad), but the '86 is a maybe- only some were updated by then so I need to check. Do I have that right?

Any opinions specifically on the Savannah's? And, from what I've gathered from elsewhere on this board, the "re" designation is the mid-level performance engine. Of course I'll know better once I test-drive, but is there a lack of performance which would make me feel unsafe, for example, merging onto a highway?

I have to read the more technical responses again a little more carefully and enlist the help of a mechanic, but as far as the floorplan goes- I'm already experiencing confusion. I had ideas about changing almost any floorplan to what I imagine I would prefer (almost considered buying a truck, Sprinter or stepvan and starting from the ground up- decided I want to get on the road this decade :lol2: ). I will, instead, look for something fairly reliable at a fair price with a serviceable layout, live with it awhile with minimal customization, and learn from experience what's important to me. I expect to be kept busy with maintenance/ repairs due to age alone. But reading these boards I'm getting even more ideas planted in this brain.

I know I'll have more questions, and I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

22R = carbureted engine. Awesome engine. Underpowered. It's a Toyota.

22RE = same engine as above, but with fuel injection. Slightly more horsepower, less need for minor adjustments, much harder to fix yourself on the side of the road.

3.0 V6 = slightly more power at the expense of a less reliable engine with much higher repair costs.

But even the much insulted v6 is only a "bad" engine by Toyota standards.

The engines that made Toyota famous are the "R" series engines. 20R up to 1981, then 22R up to 85 (84?) when the RE was introduced. Somewhere around 90 or 91 you could no longer get the R, they were all fuel injected (RE or V6).

Mid level is maybe accurate, but probably not how most people would think of it. What you have is the most trouble free, long lasting engine that was around in the 80s. Of course this varies with how they've been treated.

It doesn't have horsepower. Even without the motorhome bolted on the back, it was never a peppy truck. Drive accordingly!

And if you're going to "change the floor plan" of an 80s motorhome, expect to end up gutting it, and spending the next 6 months to a year getting it back together again, along with at least a couple thousand dollars added to whatever you pay for it to start with.

That's not a warning, just something to be aware of going into it.

As a kid, we had 2 trips a year @13 hours each to visit Grandparents, and when we were lucky there was the occasional 24 hr. trip for vacation and once cross-country, all in a regular '66 Chevy van with my parents and 7 siblings to camp in one great big tent. I remember all the way to Florida when I was 13 drawing my own designs for a motorhome. So I still look at campers and dream a little, but now I am more interested in travelling than I am in some big project. I know I'll be in for some work with an older vehicle, but I'm ready to accept a less-than-ideal floorplan for a little more fun and freedom. Of the 2 Savannahs I hope to check out soon, the one that sounds in better shape has the layout I expect I would prefer (rear kitchen versus rear dinette- any input?).

I currently live in MD., and don't expect to make it to IL in Oct. Before your plug, I had already checked the website and was disappointed I didn't find an upcoming gathering in the Mid-Atlantic region. Anybody know of any closer?

Thanks again.

So this was just listed on this site and it's in Pennsylvania. The very rare and coveted v6 with a 5 speed and at the rock bottom price of 6500. Not mine just saw the ad. Hope your still reading these posts

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds/listing/1942/1989_winnebago_REDUCED_V6_5_Speed.html

Linda S