Converter

bvsajjan

Our 91 Dolphin came with the linear type MagneTek converter and there are (were) 2 areas that can cause that. There is a relay that switches the battery to the trickle charger and the coach DC to the converter output. There is also a center-tapped transformer at the bottom. Ours began to hum and I found it too warm for my comfort level, so I replaced it with a new one( Progressive Dynamics).

vanman

My inhouse converter has too loud of a hum when plugger to shore power? How to correct it! Buy a newer converter? 1990 Odyssey Sunrader.

Yes it's probably time to replace your converter. Mine is an 86 but it only hums when I put too much 12 volt load and it's trying to recharge my battery. Mostly if I forget and leave the fridge on 12 volt instead of turning it to 110 or when furnace is running. . What kind of RV do you have? Odyssey and Sunrader are 2 different brands.

Linda S

My Magnetek began to hum loudly. Opening it up, I could see the cooling fan was frozen.

As this convertor tended to boil my cabin battery, I decided to swap out with the Parallax upgrade unit (I had bought one on Ebay for $30 was the main reason for why choosing Parallax). Swap was easy, about an hour because I decided to also upgrade the distribution with the included fuse panel.

New unit weighed about 5 pounds less. The Magnetek could be a boat anchor.

Many of the older converters hummed and buzzed when brand new and working fine. Seems much depends if it's a "new" hum or an old "hum."

Yes it's probably time to replace your converter. Mine is an 86 but it only hums when I put too much 12 volt load and it's trying to recharge my battery. Mostly if I forget and leave the fridge on 12 volt instead of turning it to 110 or when furnace is running. . What kind of RV do you have? Odyssey and Sunrader are 2 different brands.

Linda S

Thanks for the info... I guess mine is actually called Odyssey Americana. 1990 6cyl. Mine hums always no mater what load. No fridge, with fridge, charging battery, not charging.... etc.

Also, a little hot on back plate! :-)