Retractable Awning alternative

I came across an alternative retractable awning product that can be used on small motorhomes. There are mounting brackets for RVs for it.

The price is certainly far lower than many other retractables, it puts it in the same price range as many of the bag awnings.

But you would not want to drive down the road with it on those mounting brackets. I guess I would strap it to the top of my rear bumper while underway or make some sturdier custom mounts for the side of the rig. Not all that large but certainly better than no shade.

http://www.sportsshade.com/products.html

well now if I am going to go to all that trouble why dont i just get a nice 10 foot long retractable projector screen and waterproof the material or glue/sew it to the cut stubb of the screen? Thats all this thing is; a projector screen used as an awning...hmmm that just gave me an idea for my old projector... LOVE It dual purpose... TV video games and an awning all in one!

not so; they are aluminum for light weight easel hangers and wall applications. I have several at home and a few portables for trade shows; all are aluminum housings. The main issue is that they are not designed to be rained on necessarily.

I will need to take one and try it out; will it come apart in rain, come unglued disintegrate etc...perhaps i could paint one upper facing side with some form of latex paint that would proof it . an interesting concept. If I combined the snap out locking table rails with some frames i could have a slick little setup that clicks into place in seconds

I am wondering if there are indoor outdoor retractable projector screens. if so BOOM im there

Like this:

http://www.projectorscreenstore.com/Projector-Screens/Elite-Screens-DIY-Wall-Series-135-Diag-66x118-Outdoor-Projector-Screen-HDTV-Format-DynaWhite-Fabric-DIYW135H-71448.html

its waterproof and could be an awning OR a huge TV.

Tell me that the kids wouldnt love Wii Ping Pong on THAT thing!

could use it to play Toyota Rallie footage on at a rally or have a nice Movie night at a rally too. Very Interesting.. Methinks I will try this

Put it back on ebay, you "really need" to spend the winter making an awning. Other wise think of all the trouble you will be grtting into with nothing to do.

Good idea about reinforcing the mounting. I think I would use metal rectangular tubing and real bolts instead of wood and screws.

This will sound silly but make sure all your door and windows will work with the awning up or down when you go to hang it and the support arms.

Don't ask where this tidbit came from :clown2:

I see that Murphy is the toy house business too. I thought I was keeping him busy rebuilding the suspension/brakes on my 64 Chevelle

• 4 weeks later...