Any ideas for durable rubber material to replace the carpet in my front cab area?

Stevo

I want to replace the carpet in the front cab of my Sunrader with durable and easy to clean rubber. Have you done that? What did you use that covered the entire floor of the front cab?

Thanks

EDITED

Linda S - Thank you for the link. Mine is an 82. I just called them and they only sell carpet for the 82's and earlier and it would be a 30% restocking fee plus shipping to return it if it doesn't fit. I found this at JC Whitney for $208 (aaargh!) http://www.jcwhitney.com/heavy-duty-vinyl-full-floor-protection-for-pickups-and-suv/p2007280.jcwx?filterid=d2183y1982g2j1 but the reviews say its NOT molded to the floor like it shows in the photo. Maybe I could buy a big piece of rubber somewhere and use my existing carpet as a template and then heat gun the rubber into forming the floor?

Totem - I need to do some research on spraying the floor with rubber like Herculiner but I'm thinking it would be a lot noisier than a thick rubber mat with sound deadening material underneath it. Am I right about that or wrong?

EDITED

Linda S - Thank you for the link. Mine is an 82. I just called them and they only sell carpet for the 82's and earlier and it would be a 30% restocking fee plus shipping to return it if it doesn't fit. I found this at JC Whitney for $208 (aaargh!) http://www.jcwhitney.com/heavy-duty-vinyl-full-floor-protection-for-pickups-and-suv/p2007280.jcwx?filterid=d2183y1982g2j1 but the reviews say its NOT molded to the floor like it shows in the photo. Maybe I could buy a big piece of rubber somewhere and use my existing carpet as a template and then heat gun the rubber into forming the floor?

Totem - I need to do some research on spraying the floor with rubber like Herculiner but I'm thinking it would be a lot noisier than a thick rubber mat with sound deadening material underneath it. Am I right about that or wrong?

You will have a really tough time trying to heat form an entire floor covering. Heat gun does help but you will need a good sense of just how hot you are getting the material or you will mess it up by getting it too hot. It would be best to break it in sections for an easier time of it. You can bond seams of the sections together using Shoe Goo. Shoe Goo, duct tape to secure while it dries, some plastic wrap or wax paper underneath to keep it from sticking to the truck.

In a factory they will have a set of forming plates between which they place a nice warm sheet of vinyl and then use rams to compress. No way can you achieve those kind of results for a whole floor with a heat gun as you can't control the stretching and shrinking needed over those large areas with your hands and spot heating. Once the vinyl is warm you have to hold it in that exact shape needed until it is cool.

Thats why i suggested spray rubber or bedliner. your cab noise wouldnt be any different unless you are talking about dynamatting it THEN spraying over top of that... now THAT would make for an impressive flooring solution. Personally I just got a molded truck carpet kit and trimmed it to fit; was a breeze and I got to pick my color. I went with a dark brown that matched the dash and it turned out awesome.

Hmmm, what about these ideas...

1) I don't know where to buy it, but if I could find a big rectangle of black rubber thats easy to clean then perhaps laying it in the sun for a while on a super hot day would make it pliable enough to conform to the floor of my front cab?

2) I've been thinking of Dynamatting the floor but I didn't think I could spray over it. That is a great idea that I will definitely look into. Have you heard of anyone doing that without it looking funky?

Why don't you check with some of the Toyota truck forums and see if people are using the later model kits to fit the older models. That was the case with my 1980 Nissan Sunrader for which they no longer make vinyl floor kits. What I found out from the Ratsun forum was that it only takes a bit of extra trimming work to make the newer model vinyl floor kit fit my older rig. Maybe you will get lucky with the Toyota that way too.

i agree with Karin, try to find a picture and application though to see if that is for you; personally the vinyl kit i found underneath my carpet in my rig i felt didnt look to bad at all; however it was full of holes from the barbaric shag carpet installation (they just used self tapping flat headed screws and bored into the shag. So when I ripped out my "custom" Monterey Leisure Shag i had several holes to fill and a formerly beautiful toyota vinyl liner that would have been good enough if not for the holes. I left that liner and went right over it with the molded carpet kit.

As to the Rhino liner over top of the dynamat looking funky? not sure I have never seen that done; depends on how flexible that liner is. would need to talk to them. I have seen it go over seams in the back of trucks and you cant tell a seam is there even though...

Totem-What brand carpet kit did you get and what year is your chassis? I want to install carpet to cut down on heat and noise. Mine is an '87 chassis.

I called Dynamat and the guy said he had heard of others doing bed liner goop over Dynamat but of course they couldn't guarantee how that would work. Then I asked the same question about a floor covering at Yotatech and someone recommended a thick rubber known as "rubber horse stall mat" http://tinyurl.com/oxzpfty Someone else left a link to a molded vinyl floor cover for my year http://www.auto-interior.com/toyota8.htm (scroll down the page about halfway) and at about $140 its cheaper than the others. I'll probably order that stuff if I don't figure out something cheaper - cuz I am a CHEAPSKATE!

I called Dynamat and the guy said he had heard of others doing bed liner goop over Dynamat but of course they couldn't guarantee how that would work. Then I asked the same question about a floor covering at Yotatech and someone recommended a thick rubber known as "rubber horse stall mat" http://tinyurl.com/oxzpfty Someone else left a link to a molded vinyl floor cover for my year http://www.auto-interior.com/toyota8.htm (scroll down the page about halfway) and at about $140 its cheaper than the others. I'll probably order that stuff if I don't figure out something cheaper - cuz I am a CHEAPSKATE!

a real cheapskate would go to a pick and pull junk yard or Ebay and get used flooring in decent condition and patch any holes or tears in it with shoe goo.

When I was playing with the same idea of using the rubber floor, I found the best prices at Homedepo or Lowes. They both sell floor mats made from vinyl for around $30.Used in the kitchen or fatige mats for standing in one place for hours. I had not thought about glueing it together. I finally gave up and bought a piece of carpet from H/D $15 that would conform to the humps. If it get's dirty in three years I'll change it out again.

Bob, the stockinteriors link posted earlier is what I used for my truck, and if you get "mass-backed" carpet, it really does make a big difference. And if you a nice careful install, it looks stock.

http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=3986&MakeId=37&ModelId=484

The problem with liner over dynamat sd not how well the liner would stick to the dynamat, but how well the dynamat sticks to the floor.

WME

Yeah but dynamat is not going to be something a cheapskate will ever purchase so why continue to talk about that approach? He is not going to buy any even if it could be done. You would have to be more than a little crazy to spend all that money on dynamat (which is very expensive) and then take a risk ruining it by coating it with truck bed liner.

Hah hah, let me clarify the "cheapskate" thing...

I'm trying to temper my perfectionist side as I age which is getting easier the longer I've been away from the custom cabinet business...BUT...I don't do stuff half-behind either. So "cheapskate" for me means finding alternatives that are simpler, work better and last longer and are hopefully less expensive. For example, I ruled out the idea of putting some kind of bedliner goop over Dynamat because all the money and time would be wasted if the Dynamat pulled away from the metal floor and/or the bedliner goop stopped adhering to the Dynamat. Plus, I'm concerned that the end result would look crappy with seams of Dynamat showing through, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the rubber molded mat here for about $140 to my door: http://www.auto-interior.com/toyota8.htm plus another $54 for their sound deadening called "mass backing. I get into my CHEAPSKATE mode wondering if there is a cheaper and equally effective way to deaden the sound than spending the $54 extra on their mass backing? Any ideas? I haven't priced Dynamat yet but I know its pricey and would probably cost more than $54.