I know this topic has been discussed in the past but I would like to ask again with a different senerio. I am buying a 1983 Toyota Dolphin, it has the upgraded rear axle, and I am going to be moving from California to Wisconsin. I have a 1996 Honda Civic CX with a gross weight of 3,295lbs. Front weight is 1750lbs, rear weight is 1545lbs. I need to know if it is possible to rent a tow dolly from U-Haul and tow my car behind my Dolphin. From what I have read, this is not possible but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. The Dolphin is a 4spd with a stock motor.

Look at the trailer hitch very carefully, it needs to be secure and attached to the frame. Most original equipment isn't good, but a few have been upgraded by previous owners.

The Toy should be able to haul it, but your not going to set any speed records, especially uphill.

Comming up Donner summit (I-80 between Sacramento and Reno) is a 40 mile climb. also I-80 east of Salt lake City, same way. watch your temperature, and keep it in 1st gear with the 4 ways on.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

The question to ask is about the BRAKING capacity. Have you checked the cost of having the Honda shipped? Go to a local college and post a notice about looking for a driver to CA.

I agree with WME. You may be able to eventually get up to speed, but if something happens and you need to stop, it will be like stopping a freight train. The distance will be measured in miles.

I occasionally tow my 15' 1360# fishing boat. Would not try to double the tow weight. Have a 84 Dolphin with 137,000 miles, it runs perfectly but doubt it would after that much tow weight and that long of a distance.

You are not serious are you? By the time you have a hitch welded, installed a brake system in the Honda ( Brake Buddy around $1,200 pretty much standard even on big MH's) an extra fuel tank in the MH because your fuel mileage would drop to about 8 MPG you could buy another "96" Honda when you got there! Toyota says"NO towing" with the MH.

I know this topic has been discussed in the past but I would like to ask again with a different senerio. I am buying a 1983 Toyota Dolphin, it has the upgraded rear axle, and I am going to be moving from California to Wisconsin. I have a 1996 Honda Civic CX with a gross weight of 3,295lbs. Front weight is 1750lbs, rear weight is 1545lbs. I need to know if it is possible to rent a tow dolly from U-Haul and tow my car behind my Dolphin. From what I have read, this is not possible but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. The Dolphin is a 4spd with a stock motor.

You can get a tow dolly with its own brakes so stopping shouldn't be an issue. My tow dolly has surge brakes but they also have them with electric brakes. But pulling power?? Too much for that already over-stressed Toyota unless it it flat-land the entire way.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/roadmaster-universal-tow-dolly-with-electric-brakes/42252

A regular Toyota pickup can handle a Class III hitch with 500 lbs. on the tounge. But an RV?? With all the steel extensions that go back way past the frame - I bet a Class I hitch is all it can handle without major mods. 200 lbs. max on the hitch itself and 2000 lb. max tow capacity. No rental place is going to let you hook up to one of their traliers or tow-dollys (unless they're nuts).

I flat-towed a Kia Sportage from NY to MI last year with a Ford F250 and it wasn't fun. This fall I've got to pull a Subaru Impreza and a 7 foot snow plow with a Chevy Blazer. It will be less fun, I'm sure. I'm renting a one-way U-haul trailer this time.

JD, Agree, my concern is mainly tongue weight. A dolly should handle this OK, especially if it has a surge brake. I don't know if the U-Haul ones have them?

Stopping will be an issue, Keep a lot of extra room, and when in heavy traffic, don't be affraid to to go out on the shoulder if need be.

I've made some very, very overweight hauls before, just take time, keep extra distance.

IMPORTANT - Never go down a hill/mountain any faster than you went up. Its not to much of a problem with a basic Toyhouse, because of the wind resistance, but add a couple thousand lbs of towed, and the Toy will build up speed on the downhills, DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

JD, Agree, my concern is mainly tongue weight. A dolly should handle this OK, especially if it has a surge brake. I don't know if the U-Haul ones have them?

Stopping will be an issue, Keep a lot of extra room, and when in heavy traffic, don't be affraid to to go out on the shoulder if need be.

I've made some very, very overweight hauls before, just take time, keep extra distance.

IMPORTANT - Never go down a hill/mountain any faster than you went up. Its not to much of a problem with a basic Toyhouse, because of the wind resistance, but add a couple thousand lbs of towed, and the Toy will build up speed on the downhills, DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

When I was younger and thought I was inexorable/immortal, I towed a lot of stuff I shouldn't have. Now - I'm more of a chicken. I don't like trusting my life to the brakes in the unit behind me. I.e. I make sure my tow-vehicle has a lot of weight and HD brakes of its own in case the trailer brakes fail. That happened to me coming down a steep mountain road last year. I was pulling a 9000 lb. trailer with my F250 HD. I lost all trailer brakes. I shifted into low gear and my rear wheels were hopping and spinning a bit until I put the truck into 4WD. Then the low gear held me back for the most part but I still glazed my brakes. If I had a smaller truck, I would of been screwed. In fact, had it been a 2WD - I still might of been in a big mess.

I just towed a 9000 watt crazy heavy Steele brand generator and two electric scooters, kids bikes etc on a snomobile two place trailer this weekend.

No problems encountered.

In fact no breaking problems; the only thing i noticed was a power decrease; that and I made sure to turn off overdrive. I cruised between 55-60 tops

U-Haul requires a minimum of a Class II tow hitch to rent a tow dolly. That's not something you'll find on a Toyota RV unless someone has done a lot of modification.

Tow vehicle also must weigh at least 750 lbs. more then the .load being towed. In your case the load would be 4,050 lbs. So U-Haul would require that your Toyota weigh at least 4,800 lbs. which happens to be the max legal gross vehicle weight for that RV.

Somebody could bolt any class hitch they want - on to any vehicle whether it can handle it or not. I doubt any company ever made a Class II hitch or heavier for a Dolphin since Dolphin considered the Toyota chassis already maxed out and no towing allowed. I suspect any U-Haul dealer would look up the specs on your rig and then refuse to rent you a tow dolly or trailer.

Wow, thank you everyone for your prompt responses and advice, it is greatly appreciated. So I have decided to err on the side of caution, and from what it sounds like, I would have trouble getting a tow dolley anyways. I am going to drive my car out early, fly back, and then just drive the dolphin out by itself. I think that will be my best bet overall. Thank you again everyone for your comments and advice. I am sure I will have more questions, but under different topics. Have a great day everyone!

Wow, thank you everyone for your prompt responses and advice, it is greatly appreciated. So I have decided to err on the side of caution, and from what it sounds like, I would have trouble getting a tow dolley anyways. I am going to drive my car out early, fly back, and then just drive the dolphin out by itself. I think that will be my best bet overall. Thank you again everyone for your comments and advice. I am sure I will have more questions, but under different topics. Have a great day everyone!

Good plan I like that one.