Hi

went to replace spark plugs today and could only remove 3. Have sprayed rest of plugs with shock and unlock.

No joy but dont want to get to aggrestive incase i break plug or strip threads. old pluds are champions with plug lead connector unscrewed. also plugs that i removed where wet and smelt of petrol.

thanks

dave

I hate to say this but you either leave it in there or yank it out and take your chances. They do make repair bushings if you bugger up the threads just grease up the threader when you do the repair to catch as much metal as you can. Be sure to coat all of them with anti seize .

you might try bumping them to the tighter position - sometimes that will break them loose. would not get to vigorous because you obviously do not want to break the plugs

the petrol sounds like raw fuel - guess someone tried to start it unsuccessfully?

which engine are we talking about? how long has it set up?

I had one plug that would not budge, we sprayed PB blaster on it and finally got it to move. Sometimes you have to move them back and forth after they brake free to get them out. My guess is that one bad plug had been in the motor twenty years. Coat all new plugs with antiseize compound.

My experience is that the plug is a lot stronger than the aluminum threads. However it is disconcerting when the new plug won't tighten because the threads are no longer present.

A helicoil kit is about $10 at an auto parts store. However, once the coil is inserted, the little tang of metal in the center tends to break off and fall inside the cylinder.

A magnetic probe costs about $5. Handy for inserting into the cylinder and pulling out the missing metal tang.

Helicoil has lasted three spark plug changes or about 150,000 miles so far.

Hi

Thanks for advice. ally heads are a pain will carry on with small amounts of penatrating oil when cold and get engine to cycle through hot and cold for a week.

Then try again. plugs already removed are corroded and champion make. all the ends where leads attach are loose. not good for running or fuel consumpsion.

Thanks

dave

Hi

have changed 5 out of 6 just middle one on air intake side. it will do 2 turns then go very tight. so have unwound 2 turns used penatrating oil then done up. theory being im pushing oil towards cynlinder thus lubricating whole tread.

Will keep you posted and let you know out come.

Dave

Give it a squirt, turn it out until it gets tough, give it a squirt, then turn it back in all the way.. repeat the process,

Gud luck. I hate screwing up threads.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi

do you know what the uk version of clp brake free and pb blaster are called.

Thanks

dave

CLP Break Free I have used to remove rusted carbide nuts from Arctic Cat Carbides and saddles. Anyone that knows those Saddles knows they are aluminum and the carbides are steel. The corrosion is Epic. CLP will foam up and FILL the barrel of a gun before fizzing a bit and then the penetrating part starts and it will clean an old shot gun that hasn't been cleaned in a jiffy like new. I have tried all the other products and nothing removes rust, fouling, carbon, and even galvanic scale; and guess what is in the 22RE? :)

in the uk?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BreakFree-Break-free%C2%AE-Clp%C2%AE/dp/B0002IKDQ6

Hi totem

thanks for link. think i will be using a lot to remove rust from chassis and track rods etc before sealing chassis aganist winter salt

thanks

dave

Hi

quick up date 5 good plugs and dodgy one with end cap tightened has transform dolpin. had to give it some welly for overtaking. well i was amazed doing 60mph up a 1 in10 and still pulling like a train then in came overdrive and thst did not slow acceleration. Even fuel gauge did not move. ummmmm big surprise. Next will be filters and oil change. may also have a go at air intake mod featured in this forum shown on 3.4 v6. Need all the torque i can get for going up scottish mountains.

dave

Where are you in Scotland? The tartan here is Wallace spent many a night in the Scottish pubs what else is there to do in the winter when it's dark at 3 PM!

Mainah am long way north of you. live in groats next stop north is orkney islands. im not scottish by birth but deffo not english due to cornish and irish blood. do the lejog run twice a year to visit friends and family. toy is ideal now i dont have tow a twin axle 6 berth caravan. :-)