On 2 occasions just after shutting engine down on the road when attempting to restart I just here a click click for a couple of attempts then after about 3 attempts it starts. When cold the vehicle starts easily every time.

Try tapping the starter with a tire iron. Seems to reset it.

I had one starter that occasionally needed a tap, particularly when it was hot. Over the course of a year, it required more and more taps to make it start. Kind of inconvenient in the rain. When the weather improved, I climbed underneath and changed out the starter.

A different car, the problem eventually went away by itself.

Thats a good symptom of new starter time.

Toyota Starters are normally about as troublefree as their engines.

If you want, take apart, clean brush residue, Replace brushes, and replace plunger and contacts. Starter should be similar to the one in this link

READ HERE

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

A starter usually lasts me a little over a hundred thousand miles but the engines have never worn out on me.

However, I attribute some of my starter problems to trying to make a failing battery last a little bit longer. Running a starter on low voltage means the current must increase to compensate: Current = Power / Voltage

I now have a fix before fail attitude when it comes to batteries.

Most other things: if it isn't broke, don't fix it.