You have to laugh!

Just completed a 861 mile road trip from Raleigh NC to Hampton NH.

While on rt. 84 in PA had a large box truck riding on my butt. I was in the right hand lane and it had plenty of room to pass me.

Figured out finally he was "drafting" me. Talk about the shoe being on the other foot. :)

I bet you felt special haha. What speed were you cruising at?

If it were me, I would have gradually slowed down to encourage him to buzz off and get away from me.

-Riverman77

If it were me, I would have gradually slowed down to encourage him to buzz off and get away from me.

-Riverman77

Got to admit, it made me a little nervous. My speed was between 55-60 mph. Even climbing all the hills in VA and PA I still averaged 20.68 mpg.

Drafting is a symbiosis.

The car in front benefits from having a reduced rear low pressure area and reduced drag. The car in back benefits from having another vehicle break the wind, so to speak.

My uncle drives an 18 wheeler so I asked him how he felt about it, he said he doesn't mind when people draft on him but he knows other truckers that aren't too fond of it.

I guess the problem I have with "drafting" is your dependant on the driver in front. Your vision is limited to the back of the truck. If it suddenly stops at highway speed is your reaction time going to be quick enough?

Personally, any benefit gained in fuel savings is offset by possible major damage to your toy not to mention you'd be at fault.

I've never done it and never would.

That's funny guess the trucker was not in any kind of hurry!