I realized now that I have removed by old propane 3 way fridge I could do something special in that area that would utilize the old vent opening. A small window air conditioner could be mounted against it. I would have a removable hatch cover and the air conditioner could slide into the opening with some foam gaskets whenever needed but would retract when on the road or in the winter time.

Of course roof mounted AC is much more convenient to but it does create roof sags for some folks.

I am getting a different fridge (one of these days), chest type 12 volt Engel, it won't be installed in a cabinet.

This little window air conditioner would fit nicely into the old 14" by 24" vent cutout.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frigidaire-5-000-BTU-Mini-Window-Air-Conditioner-FRA052XT7/14254284#ProductDetail

But right now its on sale on amazon for $100 bucks with free shipping....

John Mc, aka waiter. has a nice long post about this very thing. http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4077

John Mc, aka waiter. has a nice long post about this very thing. http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4077

Same unit but a lot of difference in how I would be positioning it other than we both take advantage of the fridge vent(s). My upper cabinet could not hold an air conditioner size wise or weight wise. Besides that the upper vent does not go up that high. I would position the air conditioner just above the wheel well where I can easily transfer the load down to the floor. It weighs less than the old fridge that used to be there.

But reading that posting again was informative, I was glad to realize it could run off a 1,000k generator which is what I would get if I do get a generator one of these days.

I would totally do this also if I scrapped my old Dometic. biggest thing i miss about no roof AC unit was the clearance at fast food and parking structures.

You can get Dometic 7,000btu air conditioners that can be mounted in a luggage compartment. They are in the Dometic truck category. There was one in that high end Sunrader conversion on a 4x4 with the raised ceiling that was posted here last year. Of course the Dometic unit won't be anywhere near the low cost of a $110 window air conditioner. But at least you know it will fit and it will work properly and it won't cause the roof to sag.

The Europeans and Asians are using remote two piece a/c units more and more now and they are small enough it fit in camper compartments. The compressor and condenser are in the compartment and the evaporator is inside the camper. I do like your ideal of a unit that would slide out the way most window units are made it would have to have the intake vent out beyond the body so a sliding unit would work nice maybe some heavy ball bearing drawer slides.

The Europeans and Asians are using remote two piece a/c units more and more now and they are small enough it fit in camper compartments. The compressor and condenser are in the compartment and the evaporator is inside the camper. I do like your ideal of a unit that would slide out the way most window units are made it would have to have the intake vent out beyond the body so a sliding unit would work nice maybe some heavy ball bearing drawer slides.

I have seen those Euro two piece units. But I don't know where to find them on the internet, guess I could do some research this week. I have found those split units for houses but the compressors can't be mounted in a compartment so they won't work. USA is behind the times on motormones for sure. The Euros have some nice contemporary, clean line interiors. I am absolutelly not fond of the same old oak cabinet look that has been used since the 1960s.

Check this site out they have dimensions for the units some are made for single rooms and are pretty small. They use these things in over seas RV's and the pictures I have seen are the same as the house unit. Of course you'll need good ventilation to cool the condenser but why not be the first in you neighborhood to have one! http://www.airconditioner.com/minisplits.php some of the prices are less then an RV roof top.

Karin, I know what you mean by the "oak cabinet look" that so many RVs have. I finally painted the interior of my Dolphin because I just couldn't stand another Summer with that all wood theme. Actually, the "oak cabinet look" wouldn't have been so bad if I'd had that. My interior had that "distressed Spanish villa" look, wrought iron and all.

John

I bought an old farm house years ago that had been "modernized" with 50's cheap paneling on the walls look a lot like the camper.