4x4 wheels

Guest Ken and Tina

Guest Ken and Tina

Hi guys,

Was trying to get to some old info. Here on axels / wheels. Saw info. On axel recalls but not on 4x4's

I have 15's on front and 14's on back and about to get custom 15's on back.

When you measure for fit do you measure mid lug to opposite mid lug or from mid lug to middle of hub?

Also, when I put these 15's on are there any concerns with gearing? How do I change speedometer for correct speeds.

Story on my rig - Had a 1/2 ton non floating axel. Heard that while in a campground, at slow speeds, the axel broke causing some cosmetic damage as well.

The owner replaced the axel with a Toyota six lug floating axel.

Excited to FINALLY get these wheels thanks to a member.

Appreciate any feedback.

Hope all of you have adventures awaiting for this summer.

Ken

1987 Sunrader 4x4

Hi guys,

Was trying to get to some old info. Here on axels / wheels. Saw info. On axel recalls but not on 4x4's

I have 15's on front and 14's on back and about to get custom 15's on back.

When you measure for fit do you measure mid lug to opposite mid lug or from mid lug to middle of hub?

Also, when I put these 15's on are there any concerns with gearing? How do I change speedometer for correct speeds.

Wheels with an even number of lugs -get measure between the centers of two oppossite lugs. Toyota, the Korean military and some old USA trucks use 6 lug by 7.25" bolt circle.

Wheel size has nothing to do with gearing or speedometer error. Tire outer diameter determines that. Toyota trucks and RVs usually came with 25.5" - 26" diameter tires and are calibrated for that.

As far as I know, the 4x4 Sunraders were shipped with 15" rims front and back and presumably a speedo calibrated to match. If anything, installing a FF rear axle with 14" rims would throw off your speedo. Returning to 15" on the rear should set things right again assuming your tires are the same diameter/circumference as were originally installed.

BUT/HOWEVER, you'll have to check that the front and rear axle ratios match or you won't be able to use the 4WD without destroying things!

You need to look on the tag in your engine compartment for the front ratio. See here

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

And compare to the back. This is how to check the back

• Block the tires at one end of the vehicle to keep it from rolling, and then jack up a tire on the other end.
  • Place the transmission in neutral and release the parking brake if you are checking the rear diff.
  • Spin the tire exactly TWO full revolutions while at the same time counting exactly how many revolutions the driveshaft spins (marking the driveshaft and tires beforehand will make it easier to count revolutions).
  • The number of revolutions the driveshaft spins is your gear ratio.
    If it spins just over 4 times, then the ratio is probably 4.10; 4-1/3 = 4.30; 4-1/2 = 4.56; just under 5 = 4.88; 5-1/3 = 5.29, etc

Very likely you have a 4.10 ratio as this was the most common.

Linda S

You can also pull the driveshafts off from the axle end and there should be a dab of paint on the axle side flange. The most common ratios are: 4.10 is pink, 4.3 is blue, etc. I have all the codes so if it's not one of those post here and I can look it up. Are your tires front to back the overall same diameter right now? Again it's not the rim size that matters it's the actual tire size.

You can also pull the driveshafts off from the axle end and there should be a dab of paint on the axle side flange. The most common ratios are: 4.10 is pink, 4.3 is blue, etc. I have all the codes so if it's not one of those post here and I can look it up. Are your tires front to back the overall same diameter right now? Again it's not the rim size that matters it's the actual tire size.

Ken was driving on 15 inch front 4x4 wheels and 14 inch full floater wheels in the back. I found him some 15 inch custom duallies for the back and now he's trying to figure out how to set it up properly. I'm pretty sure most of the Sunrader 4x4's were geared at 4.10 and also most of the full floaters. Always can't hurt to check. Think he knows tire must be same size

Linda S

What the tag on your 85 say

Guest Ken and Tina

Wow. You guys are great. Haven't checked ratio yet. Confused at tire size. The first number of the tire size is the height or width?

I was reading a comment from Greg's 4x4 (not sure if he still has it) and he runs 215/75 R15

I looked at my front tires and they read 225/75 R15. If I'm right, when the wheels of front and back are the same 15's the height needs to be the same. Don't want duels to rub together and blow.

Thanks again guys (and gals!) ;)

Ken

225/70/15,,,,,225mm wide (not tread width) side wall to side wall.......75 aspect ratio width vs the side wall height...... 15 is the required rim dia in inches

All the 4x4's were shipped with duals but they were the fake ones that caused problems.

Linda S

Oh yeah I forgot about the fake duallies.

As WME pointed out tire sizing is not very straightforward. There are tire size comparison charts out there on the web. Sometimes I go to tirerack.com and look up sizes there, they have very detailed information on every tire they sell, including overall diameter and revs per mile.

Oh yeah I forgot about the fake duallies.

As WME pointed out tire sizing is not very straightforward. There are tire size comparison charts out there on the web. Sometimes I go to tirerack.com and look up sizes there, they have very detailed information on every tire they sell, including overall diameter and revs per mile.

Safest bet is to go with all matching tires. Even some tires with the same measurements have a different rolling diameter.

Linda S

The 'Section Width' (185, 215, etc.) and Aspect Ratio' (70, 75, etc.) numbers are Nominal and will vary a bit from make and model of tire. The rim size (14", 15", etc.) is not.

If for some reason you want to mix and match tire sizes, the safest thing to do is to compare the # of revs/mile (numbers from the tire company) and get them as close as possible (especially for a 4x4). Tire make, model and size should match on the same axle. It's possible that you might find (I haven't checked) a 225/70R15 or 235/70R15 for the front that's the same # of revs /mile as the 215/75R15 (rear). The # won't (and will rarely be) an exact match. The number will even change by a point or two depending on the tire pressure and the number of miles driven.