Hello All,

Purchased an 87 Odyssey a couple weeks ago here in NM. 4cy auto 22re. 36k and change original miles. It is in good shape but not much of a maintenance history. So I figure it will need to have stuff replaced based on age. I figure I can do the oil, planning on synthetic, and maybe some of the other stuff like hoses, belts.

Can anyone recommend a manual, or a how to? Also what would you replace? Just trying to see what I can do myself and leave bigger jobs like greasing and repacking the axle bearings to someone else.

Warm regards,

Patrick

Best to replace all rubber items. A busted heater hose in an inaccessible area can leave you stranded roadside. Change the belts even if they look good. Save your old belt as a backup. I always carry a spare radiator cap, gas cap, and extra set of ignition wires. Here again, replace old with new and keep the old for spares.

Belts, hoses, plugs, cap, rotor, clean PVC valve, replace air filter

Replace Fuel filter - Its a son-of-a-gun to get at. Its tucked up under the intake manifold, remove right front tire to help get at it.

Drain tranny, drop tranny pan, replace tranny filter, refill. (Now's a good time to add an aux tranny cooler if you don't have one.

Look at your exhaust pipe and muffler for leaks

Verify the date codes on the tires, over 6 years old, consider new tires, regardless of tread.

Fuel Filter, why not relocate it?

I thought about it.. I've seen several posting on other site regarding people who relocated it to the fender.

Ods are good I will only replace that filter once in my lifetime. If it was something that got serviced more often, I would move it.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Just replaced the gas filter on ours, at 85,000 cut the filter up with a hacksaw, clean inside. If I knew it was in that shape I wouldn't have had it replaced, but it was rusty. At least now I know, I've done a lotta things like that to this RV just so I know.

I once looked inside one that didn't look too bad. Nothing. No media, no dirt. Everything had dissolved and passed through the system. I believe it was the original fuel filter (on a 76 Honda Accord that I bought in the late 80's). Carbureuters are probably more forgiving than fuel injectors.

Just replaced the gas filter on ours, at 85,000 cut the filter up with a hacksaw, clean inside. If I knew it was in that shape I wouldn't have had it replaced, but it was rusty. At least now I know, I've done a lotta things like that to this RV just so I know.

i replaced all the hoses when i bought mine but they were rotten and one was leaking.

i never got to the belts actually I think thats still on my important list.

ha ive got the fuel filter in my glove box. I just tried getting the old one out and I just do not have that tool.

I need to take the wheel off and use a long extension with a joint. not that that is weird it just became lesss maintenance and more lets wait til it fails.