Mary's Hundai says it needs SP-III auto trans fluid ONLY. Seems to me after looking around on the interwebs this is not a specific standard specification, just a labelling by Hundai???

Got me thinking, when we took the 1991 Dolphin to the Toyota dealer he was emphatic that only Toyota special ATF should be added after he flushed the trans on our V-6. What brand/type are others on this forum using on your V-6's ??? The tranny does work hard on our RV's.

The dealer put in what they sell, the black bottle says Toyota special atf, but these guys put the wrong oil in the motor, Mobil 1 5-30. So I'm wondering what that was exactly and if there's any issues with mixing anything else???

Unless someone can show me something with Toyota letterhead (TSB, Service Advisory) I've got to say that Dexron II is all you need. There might well be some specially formulated 'Toyota' ATF but my guess is that it MIGHT only be required by more modern Toyota vehicles and NOT our old 340/A43 transmissions. Possibly Dealers chose to try to only sell the Toyota labelled fluid to keep life simple. Or to make a bigger profit. Or both!

As for what you can mix with it, I suggest you put the question to the Dealer who installed it.

Same goes for the 'Toyota' coolant/antifreeze.

I flushed my Trans last year myself doing a passive flush. I used the new Dex VI and shifts are both smoother and more crisp. Others on here have mentioned using the new Dex VI in thier rigs with good results. It is a much better product than both Dex II and III. I have put 9kmiles on it since then and its been great!! Mine is a 1985 22RE auto.

I can't comment on Dexron III or IV. I did come across this:-

"Three types of fluid have been used in Toyota automatic transmissions.

Type T is the latest type to be used and is found in All-Trac transaxles

(A241H and A540H). Type F was used in early Toyota automatics up

until August 1982. All front engine front drive transaxles used Dexron

II. In July 1983 all Toyota transmissions, front wheel drive and rear

wheel drive used Dexron II."

'Toyota Technical Training' - http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/AT06.pdf

Also the following comment from (presumably) TOYOTA:-

"Use Toyota Type T-IV ATF only when recommended in owner's manual. Please consult your owner's manual to ensure the correct application."

http://www.globalautoparts.biz/toyota_tiv_atf.html

"Toyota's World Standard (WS) ATF is one of the newest generation of ATF on the market. As transmissions are upgraded and improved, so must the automatic transmission fluid be upgraded. The type of ATF used in Toyota automobiles is determined by the transmission in that particular car. A product of ExxonMobil, WS ATF is for use in model year: 2004 to present - Land Cruiser, Prius and 4Runner; 2005 to present - Sequoia, Avalon, Tundra and Tacoma V6; and 2006 to present - Yaris and Highlander"

http://www.ehow.com/list_6861168_toyota-transmission-fluid-types.html

Toyotas and older Kias and Hyundais use Aisin auto transmissions. Some newer Hyundais use auto transmissions of their own designs. Aisin calls for a certain blend of ingredients in their ATF and so does Kia and Hyundai. Seems if someone has a rig and they're worried about warranty -buying ATF that's specifically rated for it is a good idea. That being said, I seriously doubt it 100% necessary. i don't believe it's just a "labelling" thing though. The friction materials used in tranmission clutches and brake-bands vary and so do the friction-modifiers used in the ATF to preserve their life.

My 1983 Chevy diesel plow truck has 200K miles on the TH400 trans and I've had nothing but the "old" Dextron in it. Hasn't failed yet. My 1995 Subaru Impreza has 240K miles and never had an oil change in the trans. Still works perfect but it's ready to break in half from rust. It's a Japanese Jatco-clone. I've added some Dextron now and then but never changed the oil in the trans.

I think you'll find that the SPIII is a synthetic ATF and I would bet that there are many brands that are rated SPIII compatible. My Kubota tractor says ”use only Kubota Super UDT” trans fluid but guess what it the very same old Hitran hyd fluid that’s been around for years. There is a law on the books that says you cannot be held responsible for a part failure for not using a manufactures branded fluids. 15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.

Forgot to mention that I have added the Lucas Transmission Fix and it eliminated the slight slip I would get when gradually applying throttle but enough to cause a downshift. If I would press accelerator down hard and fast it would downshift without noticable slip. This is the first vechile I've owned without a tach, and I really miss not having one. Time to up-grade gages, I've seen some nice picts on this site for that.

BTW, while I was searching the web I saw several manufacturers advertising a " world standard ATF " , but no mention of any auto manufactures names.

i use dexron vi in all of my toyotas.

dexron 3, which is the most common fluid is too thick and will often cause junk build up and poor shifting. it claims to be dexron 2 compatible but its not really.

Dexron vi however is the right stuff. Ive had several toyota transmissions come back from late shifting by using it ( and cleaning it out in several steps)

dextron 3 is not the right stuff for a toyota transmissiion although its better than dirty stuff.

you can definitely spot the difference in viscosity.

dexron vi is also semi synthetic. very cheap at walmart.

oh yes, or all world formula. they put that on the market for a while after dexron 3 became the standard. Pretty much just for toyotas, its basically dexron 2.

i use dexron vi in all of my toyotas.

dexron 3, which is the most common fluid is too thick and will often cause junk build up and poor shifting. it claims to be dexron 2 compatible but its not really.

Dexron vi however is the right stuff. Ive had several toyota transmissions come back from late shifting by using it ( and cleaning it out in several steps)

dextron 3 is not the right stuff for a toyota transmissiion although its better than dirty stuff.

you can definitely spot the difference in viscosity.

dexron vi is also semi synthetic. very cheap at walmart.

Walmart is definitely the place to get this stuff. I used the supertech Dex VI in mine and its been great!!

I use dex 2. works good for me. I did a "flush" by changing the filter and the 2 quarts that drain out. Drove it and then using the drain plug on the pan to drain the 2 quarts and replaced them. Repeated the previous step until I used 3 gallons of atf.

thats the best way to do it but its the most expensive and uses the most labor.

do a search for the full passive flush that removes and replaces all of thee atf at once if you are interested.

I do the 4 change method so as not to get too much dirt out at once. just 4 drain and refills over 3000 miles and I use dexron 6.