Emergency leak! Proflex rv didn't adhere

apierro36

I redid the whole cabover 2 weeks ago. It's been raining for 2 days and I've been watching and today I go in and there's a big water mark in the corner where everything would run to. I'm inspecting the seals outside and I get a nail under the line of pro flex I've run and the whole damn bead comes off in a ribbon. Didn't adhere. Wtf? Does this stuff not stick to silicone? I thought this was the top quality stuff? Help!

Yeah I guess I was wondering if anyone had any experience with solvents. I've read 100 percent mineral spirits, or vinegar, etc. mechanically removing would be a huge time investment and probably ineffective

I use straight mineral sprits in a pump type sprayer (old Windex bottle). Stay onto the silicone, allow to soak for a few minutes then gently scrape off with a plastic putty knife. It is a slow process, but does work well. Good luck. Fred

i would wonder about M E K methel ethel ketone very strong solvent we used a lot of it on my job paint remover degreaser slower then actone and very powerfull.

Lots of silicone removers available. They attack and soften the silicone so it scrapes off easily. Looks like quite a few of them are available at your local Home Depot or Ace hardware

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=634&sclient=psy-ab&q=+silicone+sealant+remover&oq=+silicone+sealant+remover&gs_l=serp.3..0l4.32385.40388.0.41324.13.8.0.0.0.0.1904.2575.5-1j8-1.2.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.5MpSbsWtD-c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=15667442720058dd

Linda S

very nice and thank you LINDA S i was not aware of these products you are a very nice person and a great asset to this site

The use of mineral spirits was recommended to me by the glass shop who evaluated my cab over window.

I found it worked very well. As with any solvent you wash down the surface as soon as the silicon is removed. It did not affect the paint or stain the finish. I then applied a bead of "Phenoseal" adhesive caulk to the joint between the cab and coach. 6 months and still holding. The phenoseal will accept paint. I plan to eventually repaint the whole rig. Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the input. Shoulda been more thorough from the start w silicone removal. Crisis averted, cleaned it all up and resealed, but would have much rather done something else w my Saturday.

I ended up using mckanica brand gel silicone remover, left it a few hours, and scraped the hell out of it. Then ran out of mckanica, so I bought some motsenbockers at home depot. Both products seemed to work reasonably well, but it still takes a lot of elbow grease... Looks a lot better now anyway