Know how to use an installed compressed air system for winterizing?

pandu

Installed on my Dolphin when purchased was a compressed air blowout system for winterizing. I'm not sure how to use this or what its capabilities are. My local RV place sold me on their winterizing last year telling me my system won't blow out the water heater and other nooks and crannies so my Dolphin could sustain some real damage over the winter. I had them put in their antifreeze and all this summer could not get the awful taste out of my water tank.

I'd like to use the system that I have so I wonder if any of you have experience with this kind of thing and can guide me. There is no instruction book with what I have.

you drink from your water tank?

scarey stuff... but then again it is halloween ;)

You mean... nobody drinks the water from their tank?

Heres a link to how I winterize mine.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4308

I think the RV guy may have overstated the difficulty. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it. (thats why I write this stuff up, just to prove it)

The water heater is the tough one, pull the drain plugs on the water heater, open the pressure re leaf valve.

If you got compressed air, you can use it to help blow lines out, but its not mandatory. I bought a air fitting that screws onto the city water connection n to blow out the lines. DO NOT EXCEED 35 psi on the air

Put 3 or four gallons of RV antifreeze in the fresh tank, then run each Hot water facet until it blows an antifreeze mist. (do the same with the cold, follow the How to.

If you don't use your water heater, I would recommend winterizing it, then bypass it (I did this with mine,)

Although I go to the trouble of "Sanitizing" my fresh tank, and i'm sure its drinkable, we use bottled water for drinking. We use the fresh tank for cooking, washing dishes, and toilet etc.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Just draining the heater is all you need to do to it. What kills heaters is when the freezing water expands and ruptures the tank. If its mostly empty the water has lots of room to expand and no problems.

Blow out the lines and pour antifreeze in all the traps.

I blow myn out like waiter says then i dump three gallons of rv antifreze in the tank turn on the pump run a little in the water heater just in case. then shut the bypass and flood all the lines and fill the traps. and yes i drink out of my tank BUT in the spring i put ENOUGH CLORENE IN IT TO CHOKE A horse then flush that out i dont mind a clorene tast as i have cloreneated city water anyway.

THIS SPRING I WENT DOWN TO SELL SOME SCRAP AND THE PLACE HAD SIX RV WATER HEATERS ALL BLOWEN APART FROM FREZEING . ON AT LEAST ONE OF THEM THEY HAD TRIED TO WELD IT.

Thank you all for your help and advice. So far though it seems no one has this same aftermarket hookup that I do. I'm not sure I trust using it to completely empty the water heater. I wanted to go without antifreeze but maybe I just bite the bullet and use it, then take to bottled water like I should have from the start.

Here are two kits that will keep antifreeze out of your tank and make life real easy http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rv+bypass+kit&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=25209372347&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20024482301970636952&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd There is no way I'll put antifreeze in my fresh tank I did that once never again I have no issue drinking water or cooking with it from my fresh tank. One kit will by pass the water heater the other shuts off the supply line from your fresh tank and has a fitting to pull antifreeze into the system. Drain the heater turn on the by pass drain the fresh tank turn on the tank by pass stick the hose in the antifreeze jug turn on the pump one by one turn on the water valves and flush the toilet turn them off as soon as you see pink good ideal to push the little valve in the hose fitting too. I never need more then a 1/2 gallon of antifreeze. After I do all this I open the pipe drains and drain the antifreeze it is non toxic. Once every thing is in place the entire procedure takes no more then 10 mins.

Pandu

I've never heard of this before, BUT, Hey, My RV experience has been almost exclusive with the Toyhouse.

... Can you inflate your tires with it, seriously?

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I'm with Maineah, I can do my 26ft Class with less than 2 gallons. I could do my Toy with a gallon. Remember to open EVERY valve, that has water in it, till it flows pink. Like the toilet, shower wand.

If your water heater is 3/4 empty its safe. Most of the drains on the water heater will get 95% of the water. If you have trouble with the pressure vent just open any faucet and it will vent the water heater

PANDU was wondring is this one of the systems that used a stainless steel water tank and instead of a on demand water pump they used a 12 volt air compresor to pump air in the water tank that forced the water to all the fixtures even water heaters. seams biazere now but was very common in 1960 1970 s frends of us have a 1969 trailer used it this year the old system still worked great. i would think that would blow out pluming ok.