Buying a Dolphin, would love to hear your thoughts.

dropknee

Hey all,

First timer here, I've wanted a Dolphin for a long time and am finally about to realize my dream. I've got this here video of my potential new rig, and would love to hear what you all think.

[media=]http://youtu.be/Lcmz_JFaXvM

I know there's some water damage, but other than that seems to be in decent shape. Any thoughts, opinions or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers.

what is the length bumper to bumper what is the price and have you read axle info warnings generally the 20 r very reliable

17ft. $2,000 is the price I'm planning on paying.

Yes Ive tried to dive into the axle issues. This one does not have the dual rear wheels, and the guy Im buying it from actually had it weighed when he bought it and it came in under the max capacity for the axle. (which is funny because it came in closely under which made us think anything longer would have come in over the max capacity, empty, from the factory)

We drove it around for a while, it seemed to run strong (while underpowered) and eveyrthing Ive heard about these engines is that they are bombproof. But i any further advice is great...

i have owned four toyotas powered by the 20r it has a double row metal rollor timing chain some would disagree on this point but i would run 20 w 50 oil. the two things that kill them is overheating and dont be afraid to wind them up with in reason lugging them is also bad . use that shift and they will run many years. the 20 r was rated at 96 hp. they used the 20r in the truck, camper, the corona cars and celica cars. i had a 20r 18 foot minimax moter home. under powered yes but doable if they want to go around let them. minimax got 15 mpg . the standered shift is the best of course.

many were overloaded when delevered brand new from the factory toyota only sold the cab and running gear there were dosens of moterhome builders some dissapered fast but national rv in paris californa was a mager maker they made the dolphons and sea breze look up national rv archives. the fack dules and 18 to 21 foot they realy had failer of the axl . the no dules and short and lighter units chinook popups and small ones much less problematic

The weight on a 17foot may be OK for the single axle. Take a look at the tires, particularly the dates. Stay clear of passenger car tires and get Light Truck tires. With the single wheel axle, its probably operating at its maximum weight, and your probably placing 1200 - 1500 lbs on those rear tires. have the rear end fluid changed.

2k seems a little high, but your approaching the bottom end price ( doesn't make a difference what shape its in, it'll go for 2k as long as it drives and is reasonably intact) Personally, I think you could get something a little newer for about the same price. but like I say, your probably near the bottom end of pricing.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Can't watch your video due to slow internet.

AFAIK, by 1980, the Dolphin was way longer (relatively) than 17'. GVWR was 4650lb and dual rear wheels was standard issue. These 'foolies' were what caused axle problems. Before 'foolies', Dolphin installed extra wide single rims & tires (10" wide L60-14). Depending on the offset, these might not be any easier on the bearings/axles than 'foolies'.

I have to agree with Waiter, I think you could find a little newer toyhome in better condition for the same money or just a little more. That one looks to need a lot of TLC which can be fun but also could be a money pit. Even fixed up it wouldn't be worth much more. Just my 2 cents.

Derek s right about it being too small for a 1980 Dolphin. That's a 78 or older. The headlights are the give away. Double headlights ended in 1978. Be aware that parts for the older Toyota's are getting increasingly difficult to find.

Linda S

My 79 dolphin was actually a 78. It was the full 21 feet. I saw a 81 dolphin, also 21 feet but what was weird about it was it had the 20r engine, so it was really an 80 truck

But right on about the single headlights. Mine had dual the 81 had single, like my 85. Which is actually an 85 truck btw.

I sold my 79 for 3000 in july, and there were a lot of people after it. The value of the old ones really is seasonal, because some people are actually looking only for chinooks.

Oh ya foolies is up to 85 al la the one I have. Recalled to 6 lug duallies.

Dolphin is the foolie brand its foolies til 85

The only single truck wheels I've seen are from mirage, and they're kinda just a kit sales you can throw that on a truck or bring your truck to them

That water damage looks pretty significant to me. That ceiling is going to be full of mold. Some people don't mind the musty mold smell, but I can't deal with it.

If I were you I'd come up with another $500-1000 and wait for a newer model with a 22r/re motor, upgraded axle, and less water damage.

That said, if your heart is set on that rig, it's probably worth 2k if everything works, fridge, hot water, furnace, AC, stove, lights, everything. Figure on shelling out a 500 dollar bill for any one of the first 4 things on that list. FYI: I looked at 6 or 8 rigs before I found one with all systems working that was only half-full of mold.

Good luck.

Oh ya foolies is up to 85 al la the one I have. Recalled to 6 lug duallies.

Dolphin is the foolie brand its foolies til 85

The only single truck wheels I've seen are from mirage, and they're kinda just a kit sales you can throw that on a truck or bring your truck to them

Truth is because Dolphin, National Rv was still in business at the time of the recall, more Dolphins were upgraded than any other brand. National made a concerted effort to find and install 6 lug axles on as many of their motorhomes as they could.

I checked the brochures for the 79 Dolphins and strange but they show the twin front headlights of the 78 trucks. This one looks just like the one you had I think

http://f1.grp.yahoof...retch_Cover.jpg

Linda S

Thanks for all the info, folks.. This is great.

The guy who Im buying it from (a friend / carpenter) replaced all of the rotten wood over the cab, but didn't replace the interior panels. That being said, he didnt seal the windows perfectly and it is leaking a tad again. I understand this is an issue, but one Im willing to live with, for now atl east.

Everything on the interior works great, stove, fridge, oven, furnace, pump, water heater. Thats what really sold it on me..

So whats the consensus on the axle? You guys think this is not the original axle? Like I said, he looked up the weight capacity for that axle and it seems to weigh in under, but this is a confusing issue. LIke I said this does NOT have the foolies.. any thoughts?

Thanks for all the info, folks.. This is great.

The guy who Im buying it from (a friend / carpenter) replaced all of the rotten wood over the cab, but didn't replace the interior panels. That being said, he didnt seal the windows perfectly and it is leaking a tad again. I understand this is an issue, but one Im willing to live with, for now atl east.

Everything on the interior works great, stove, fridge, oven, furnace, pump, water heater. Thats what really sold it on me..

So whats the consensus on the axle? You guys think this is not the original axle? Like I said, he looked up the weight capacity for that axle and it seems to weigh in under, but this is a confusing issue. LIke I said this does NOT have the foolies.. any thoughts?

Look at the 78 brochure in answer 12 from Derek. That is your motorhome not an 80. The brochure says wide rear tires and no mention of dualies. Think single wheels is the way it came. Also states 4600 lbs GVWR. Just weigh it and see what kind of weight your dealing with. Reseal the windows with Butyl tape. Best seal

Linda S

It looks like single wheels on the back, is this true? i.e. four tires total, not 6. The fake dullies caused weird loads on the axle and aggravated the overloading problem. Speculation is that the fake dullie was meant to solve tire loading issues, and not structural loading (I agree with this)

Weigh the vehicle, make 4 sure it has light truck tires, not passenger car, or God forbid, trailer tires.

Look at the bottom of the windows to see if they have drain holes. The front window may not have one, you can drill one on each side.,

Also, it looks like the roof vents are leaking water, plan on replacing them. The plastic frames crack, and the water seeps in thru the crack..

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

dropknee i forget about the front of the cab 1977 or 1978 for sure had that pick up and 1978 motorhome grill and all looks to be decent shape. if that has a 5 lug rear axle that was original yes . LINDA THAT pict IS A 1979 COACH ON A 1978 CHASSIS MY DOLPHIN IS LABELED 1987 THE CAB AND CHASSIS IS DATED MARCH 1986. that was a common practice

• 2 weeks later...

Never underestimate the problem of "a little water damage". How long have those leaks been going on? Large parts of your cabin could be compromised and this is BIG trouble. One of the most important things to look for is leaking.