Most toyhomes have the 2nd edition 22re engine. In fact I think its the most common engine on earth. It has around 115hp

But most stats show its the 2nd edition of the engine that the first edition came out in 81: yet there are none of these engines around. The first edition had about 105 hp.

I finally figured out why, the only edition of the truck that ever had this first gen 22re came out in 84 in the us. It was an option on 84 trucks.

So I'm thinking whew mines an 85. Except on the frame it says 84 and I know from my previous dolhin that they used trucks a year old.

So here's the question. First what engine do I have? Next what is the difference and what can be upgraded if its the older one?

The first fuel injected 22R-E engines appeared in August 1982.

Output of these engines is commonly rated at 105 hp (78 kW) at 4,800 rpm and 137 lb·ft (185 N·m) at 2,800 rpm.

In 1985, the engine was significantly reworked, output was up to 112 hp (84 kW) at 4,600 rpm and 142 lb·ft (192 N·m) at 3,400 rpm. Many parts from the newer 22R-E are not compatible with those from the older pre-1985 engine. Non-compatible parts include the cylinder head, block, pistons and many of the associated parts such as the timing chain and cover, and water and oil pumps (although the oil pump internals are the same). These changes also affected the 22R, therefore one can consider the 85-95 22R-E as a fuel injected version of the 85-90 22R with only minor differences, if any.

Not sure this will help you but I believe the cylinder head on a 84 had one bolt in the center of the exhaust manifold the 85 had two. I don't think the block numbers will help because they are just casting numbers.

What I was going to pursue actually was the water pump shape. The title says 85. But 84 is stamped on the front grill area. My 79 dolphin was actually a 78. Although the engine is the same numerous parts are different like the cap betweeb 78 and 79

I have a feeling where this is going to matter most is the water pump.

I see now what the problem was, its that the first edition of the 22 re is mostly in the celica. Only this one year has them in the truck and its a rare option.

I assumed mine was the new version just because I never saw any 84 or before trucks with a 22re before, and also mine is an 85

First edition 22r has a 2 row timing chain, new "improved" 22r has a single row timing chain.

Ya in that case the old one is better. But according to my haynes manual the 2nd one has 11 more horsepower and 5 more lb ft and that makes a difference.

I had given thought to the head from the 20r ugrade that the old 22r can do

I hope maineah is right because I do have 2 bolts between the exhaust on the cylinder head.

I defintely have the 2nd edition 85 and up motor thanks maineah.

You can tell the difference from the exhaust manifold it is a different shape

Here's why I was worried. Aparently my body parts are from 84. An easier way also for future reference is to count the vacuum tubes on the egr valve. Two is new. Also the location of the egr vacuum modulator

post-6259-0-04838900-1347233506_thumb.jp