Help for 1st-time MH buyer please.

Campernoob

Hello, good day and thanks for reading my very first post on this website. I just joined today but have used this site several times to search motorhomes & gain valuable knowledge to help me in my purchase. For well over a year I've been looking (mostly casually) for a camper I can live out of as I travel the states for a few months. Originally I was looking for a VW Westfalia because I was vaguely familiar with it & liked that it could be my daily driver as well as my short-term live-in camper. Best of all I liked that the pop-top gave me plenty of head room in the kitchen area of the van (I'm 6'3"). I knew I would have to get a porta-potty, & find rivers, lakes, & gyms for bathing. After talking to a lot people & doing research I found that the models to buy were 1986-91 for the improved engine & cooling system, but even then they can require a lot of repair/maintenance, and the market price/going rate for these 20+ year-old campers start at the 13K. For a very brief time I was excited about conversion/camper vans with the hightop roofs, as they offer plenty of headroom for me, but the thought of those 8-cylinder engines along with the vans' weight sucking up gas (prob 8-10mpg at best) quickly ceased that search.

Ok, I'll stop rambling I get to my point. What I'm really looking for is the least-expensive, most reliable & gas efficient camper I can find. I have heard that travel trailers (the pop-up types) are an excellent way to go, but that will not work for me as I do not have a vehicle that can tow one. Also at $30-50/night I don't plan on staying at campgrounds very often during my travels. I can spend a night curbside in a small MH 'in cognito' much more easily than I can in a pop-up travel trailer. It seems to me from my online research that these Toyota MHs are the way to go, and I will just need to get used to ducking while inside.

1. I've only heard great things about Toyota's 4-cylinder 22re engine. I've seen some claims that it can get up to 22mpg, however most people report an avg of about 15mpg. This isn't any (or much) different from several posts I've seen for the v6 where people report an avg of 14-15mpgs. I would like some feedback as to whether or not I should even consider the v6 model. If the v6 is equally reliable & both the v6 & 22re get on avg. 14-15mpgs, isn't the v6 a better option for power going uphill?

2. What are my options for having power while not "plugged in?" It seems that most models require a generator, but I'm wondering if there are models that have a 2nd auxillary battery that charges while the motor is running? If not is that practical/affordable option to have installed? I'm also thinking about solar panels but figure that will be most costly option for going "off the grid."

Thank you very much for your time & consideration,

Todd

i have the v6 and willing to trade the extra power for what would be a cheaper 4 to own. the fours seem to be the most reliable and depending on a lot of variables should get you a little better mileage. if you dropped one of these out of an airplane you might get 22 mph, four or v6. there seems to be lots of folks who have gotten pretty nice rigs for around the $5,000 mark. below that seem to be in need of a few things being done, but not always, there are a few steels out there. generators are great if you want to run an ac frig, small air conditioner, electric heat, microwave. inverter works fine for tv's and electronic sort of things. i have an 800 watt inverter, could run my small ac frig, but not for long, a couple of hours would be about it. lots of stuff about inverters and uses on this site, do some searches. most toys are set up to charge a seperate battery for the coach while driving or plugged into AC. the coach battery usually for lights, fan on propane heater, starting the water heater or any 12V accessory. for short incognito stays on the street you'll probbaly not want to be running a generator, sort of giving away what you are doing, about as suttle as pitching a tent :o). self contained would probably be handy, but maybe haveing something smaller without would be worth the inconvenience. some have used the solar thing for dry camping. having enough panels to actually run much could be way too expensive and diffictult to carry around, however to charge the coach batteries when not driving could be a real value. living in one full time off the grid means giving up some things most of us take for granite. there are several on this site doing just that though and are happy campers, punn intended. if you wait for the perfect set up you might wait forever. if you haven't already, make a list of what you can do without and those things you can't do without.

a westfalia gets 20 mpg in perfect conditions/ considering the amount of space difference these are almost miraculous.

slow and break down constantly. I had 2 I would never consider owning another one.

I had a dodge camper van that I actually abandoned before it got to 90k miles. it broke down like clockwork and got 10 mpg. I would say if youre going the american route, get a huge one cause those ohv engines just seem to get 10 mpg no matter what.

never again that route for me unless i found one for a steal and didnt actually travel with it.

I get like 16.6 mpg with the 4 auto od. Theres not much out there better than these things and I would definitely get the 22re and it will also be cheaper.

the only thing I like more than the toyhomes, or possibly like a lesharo vixen or rialta, is a regular car like my bmw 325 towing a scamp. do that it can detach and have a regular car mode too.

The only drawback to the toyhome for me is tight urban parking. people like to say its ok for parking but its 21 ft and it doesnt work in the city.

edit most toyhomes came with just one extra battery an isolator and something called a converter box for plugging in to land ac and charging the batteries. They dont even have an inverter stock so dont do anything electrical except the lights. not even electric ignition on the stove or 12 v mode on the fridge.

I got this one for 1600, from a non licensed person in a bind to get rid of it in a very rural spot to find in oregon.

The chance that another one will come by like that within 500 miles of you is small. although it does need work its mechanically perfect.

Thats one thing I like about these vehicles more than almost any others. Even an idiot cannot mess up a toyota truck in 85k miles.

the 22re is easer to service has a metal timing chain unlike the six . there have been head problems on the sixs. the 4 speed. may give a little more mpg and less problems then the auto. power stering is a big plus. the fullfloating heavy duty rear axle is a must have. we often spend four to five days nights remote back country camping. in our dolphon 87 66000 org miles has the large group 27 deep cycle battery run everthing else on propane. i do have a very small two cycle generator. somtimes use to charge battery aftertwo or three nights of furnece heavy use.

the new ones still light the oven by hand . my furence is auto light my 1978 had to light furence. and welcome to all new people

Im upgrading the electrical someday.

Im cheap so Im always looking for the shortcut.

adding microwave requires at least a 1200 watt inverter and likely a 2000 watt generator just to cover the ac also.

and likely at least one more coach battery, although I too have a 100 amp hr big deep cycle.

thats covering it from all angles, battery, gas and capacity. throw in a big solar for boondocking a laptop somewhere.

but the cost of that just to use a microwave makes me want to skip the whole idea. so I actually am hitting up a different plan with just the extra battery and a 12v microwave.

Jettison the entire roof ac concept as stupid and use smaller window 12v acs

eventually get the smaller 9000 btu 12volt roof acs like are on a scamp

just make the 12v system more heavy duty and then buy the right tools for the application as opposed to getting a generator.

harbor frieght has coupons for 50$ generators I might throw in just for battery charging then. that set up is all much cheaper than the alternative. just use 12v ac and microwaves.

I'd like to comment on the first point regarding mpg. I've never driven the the 4 cyl. 22 so I can't make a comparison there. I do have the V6 in my '91 Warrior and I've put a few miles on it so I do have some experience and some figures.

I get 15 to 20 mpg in my V6. The engine has been meticulously maintained and runs great, which helps dramatically in fuel efficiency. But most importantly, I don't drive aggressively, i.e. speed, rapid acceleration juxtaposed to constant braking. The reason is: "I'm simply not in a hurry when I drive my RV". I don't go over 55 mph while at the same time I make sure I don't hold up traffic behind me. I never "Punch it". Well, once in a great while I do (but it's rare), most importantly though, I make a "conscious" effort to be "present" with the gas pedal and the brake pedal by treating them both with a gentle touch. (Note: I had a very fast BMW motorcycle that could easily do 130 (I went 160 on it once) in a blink of an eye and that experience seemed to cure me of the insatiable need: "I had to go fast". On the other hand, maybe it's because I'm not quite as young as I used to be, and that "anxious" energy to be somewhere else quickly because I'm wasn't comfortable with where I was at at the time, was/is a sign that I'm getting "wiser" to the world around me, I don't know.) But I do know how to save gas. And to save it, one has to be willing to mellow out at the wheel; the positive numbers can rise quite dramatically.

So a side from keeping the vehicle in tip top shape, and the method one drives in a variety of terrain ones RV is negotiating, it really comes down to "how much gas one wants to save,i.e. how far, or slow, is one willing to travel to extend that gallon of gas. In America we were raised and programmed to live half our lives on the road, in the designed urban sprawl, and cheap gas was instrumental in supporting that lifestyle. Now, with gas averaging over $4 a gallon nationwide, and with the potential to double in the next decade (or maybe next couple of years), I think our driving lifestyles are going to be changing as dramatically as the price of gas.

Anyway, now I seem to have a better understanding of why there are so many different opinions/experiences on mpg the V6 gets, then again, maybe it's because I avoid the 10% ethanol, also.

In addition, I have noticed there is the potential for a great deal of heat to be generated under the V6 hood when certain conditions align. The fact that the V6 engine design has an inherent flaw (reason for head gasket recall) in the narrow width between where water and oil flows in the head, is another reason why I drive "mellow".... Keep the Engine as Cool as possible...it will live longer.

I'll jump off the soap box now.

We are the owner's of an 84 Sunrader, the 18 footer with 22r engine, and auto tranny. This is very easy to work on, very dependable and has plenty of power to get us from point A to point B in style. Being photographers, speed is not an issue! Living at sea level, everything is up from here. Our typical trip to Eastern Oregon takes us up to 5000 feet and back down to around 2000 and reverse. On these trips we get around 17.5 mpg and rarely go over 55 mph.

We have a 100 watt solar panel and 105 amp hour deep cycle battery, led lights and 400 watt inverter. This keeps the battery charged fine for our low energy usages, coffee grinder, camera battery charging, laptop, stereo and extension cord to table lamp with cf bulb for light on a picknick table.

The tiny bathroom takes some getting used to, but works out fine. It's a wonderful thing to have when going to town shopping, no more searching for a place when "ya gotta go"!

Steve

i come from the oppiste side as Jeffery as i have owend seven toyotas three trucks two moterhomes two cars all powered by the 20r or the 22re so i have never driven a toyota six excesive heat would destroy the four also. they both have good points and trade offs. i am a very old fasioned guy and older also i like a external water pump and a metal timing chain. old enough to go 55 maybe 60 what ever workes for you enjoy.

I have the 22R, remanufactured with oversize valves and high lift RV cam and have no worries about pulling my Harley or Highay speeds. I get 12 to 14 MPG not pulling, and 11 to 12 pulling. I guess a V6 would have better overall power band, but I think the four banger has a better reliability rating.

Here is a nice little Winnebago for a great price, doesnt show interior, but $3900 for a Winnie is pretty good

http://portland.crai...3231484307.html

The 22RE is my engine of choice. easy maintenance, bulletproof, no bad history, plus its electronic fuel injected, BIG plus in my book I added remote starter, thats my poor mans onan to recharge the battery, or warm up the truck while eating breakfast.

I think the manual tranny is simpler and would give a little better mpg. This was my first choice, but after putting 20k miles on my Auto, I don't think I would enjoy doing all that shifting.

Steep inclines are slow, I experienced two level of climbing, I drop it into 2nd and hold 35 mph, or on the real steep climbs, drop it into 1st and hold 15 mph. IMPORTANT - On rare occasions the MH can build up speed on long steep downhills, I generally don't go down the hill any faster than I went up the hill. Fall in line behind the 18 wheelers and don't let the speed build up. (over heated brakes will give you a ride you'll never forget)

I get 13 - 16 mpg, I usually stay around 55-60 without the OD. We have done a couple runs at 65-70 when we needed to get home fast, expect 10mpg.

Cruise Control is a big plus on flat and mild hills.

Horribly underpowered is the norm, so don't get in a hurry, and don't hold up traffic. I find I plan a lot of my trips off the Interstate system and on the ole US Routes. slower, more scenic.

Small gas tank is inconvenient (17 gal) Plan on stopping every 3 hours for gas. I always carry a 2 1/2 gallon gas can. On my Alaska trip I also carried two extra 5 gallon cans (I used them twice)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

theres no epa numbers on toyhomes.

I think the trucks the 22re gets at least 4-5 mpg better.

much better in city though and just a little better on the highway.

In the practice of city driving a toy home theres no big difference its huge and heavy either way.

maybe in practice the v6 gets similar gas mileage. There has to be some reason for it being in the later toyhomes because its kind of actually an older model engine. more or less about to be discontinued when they made the late toyhomes, and maybe it was cheap.

I have found in practice almost all 22res are auto. Id rather have a 22re 5 speed but they are not common, maybe not even made among the main brands.

Id rather have the 22re and auto than the 22r and 5 speed.

my top speed is 70, but the real speed is 55 where it gets in the teens to 20 mpg. stay at 55 and youll get your record mpg. a v6 might like 65 a little better.

The 22re is a beast of a engine!

i had a 1985 22r long bed truck

i used to deliver portable spa's

engine was fantastic even when i tried to kill engine(was 19yrs and wanted new car...

blew head gasket on camping trip..drove 1 hour home overheating all the way home

long story short..I ran the engine on water in oil for prob 1,000 miles before finally

craped out...

the only thing wrong w/ engine was 1 burnt piston ring

bro fixed and drove truck for another 3 years before sold truck....

I'm very happy w/ my ToyHome power-train,,,Not going to win the race but i will cross the finish line!