i pictured a clown car type event with surfer kayaker types all going "Duuuuuuuude" in my mind. 7 kayaks on a toy roof? just seeing that done would be a circus worthy feat for sure.

Well I just went back and forth between my full floater and the 1 ton derek posted the vin for and something strange comes up. The 1 ton shows 2 sets of bearings the exact same part numbers as my full floater. Same differential and carrier. Different axle shafts and same brake shoe but different drums. Don't know what all this adds up to but definitely sounds like a step up from the half ton. I already gave an example of a single wheel axle used successfully on a toyhome. The Odyssey 4x4's had the regular v6 axle and single wheels. Timmy recently drove his Odyssey from southern California to Alaska. He's having some problems with his rig but none related to the axle. He also pulled a dumb stunt recently and loaded his rig with 7 friends and kayaks on the roof for all. His wall caved in some but his axle was fine. As far as the weight Toyota sets the GVWR and it lists the 86 1 ton as the exact same weight rating as the full floater.

Linda S

See Derek we can agree on some things

The 'phantom' strikes!! :)

So, are the front brakes different too?

The only Toyota pickup with a true one ton rear was a beast called super or a special it was a long bed (I think 7') with a full floating rear and a single wheel. Probably would have more trouble finding one of them as you would a turbo rear. If a 1/2 ton axle has not broken yet it's over due.

Hello All!!

just when I least expect it, my luck changes!!! I just purchased a 1990 Itasca, rotten from one end to the other, sitting on a 1 ton frame, for $1000. now my work is cut out swapping out all the parts.

I want to thank everyone for all their input and wealth of knowledge, stay tuned...

Mike

Swap the front brakes while your at it. That way you will have 6 lug wheels on all corners.

Check to see if the WH works and has DSI. No more matches outside in the cold rain!!!!!!

Hello All

over the next month or so I will be posting all the parts I won't be using, including the cab & chassis (less rear end & front hubs). Can anyone tell me if the automatic transmissions are interchangeable between the '85 4cyl, & the '90 3.0L v-6,? As a mechanic of over 30 years, I feel like a beginner getting into this Toyota stuff, not knowing my arse from a hole in the ground!!!

once again, thanks

Mike