Drive Carefully while looking for parking

The first night of our cross Canada trip, we found ourselves in Kamloops, B.C. looking for the local Walmart in which to spend the night. Kamloops is a very pretty, mountain surrounded town but is difficult to find your way around. After much back and forthing, we finally found it, but whilst negotiating the parking lot (lots of turns) we hit a huge speed bump (?). Our little radio had resided on top of the rig safely for 2 years. This bump caused the frig door to open and the radio to fly off, crash to the floor and smash totally.

It turned out the said Kamloops Walmart does not allow overnight camping after all, so we said, 'too bad, we won't shop here then' and left. The Aberdeen Mall down (or up) the road does allow parking so we had a nice place to stay after all and we did shop there!

I've been through the length of British Columbia many years ago, when I was stationed at Eielson AFB near Fairbanks Alaska. Oh, the unspoiled beauty of it all just blew me away! I had driven from Fairbanks to southern California and back, and then once more out and down when I left for my next station to New York. It was before they redid the Al-Can Highway, and I am sure the roads are far better now. I was in a Monte Carlo, and I was not in a motor home then, but would love to make the trip in my Toy. I am sorry for the troubles you encountered, and it's good that we get updates from our travelers to keep us abreast of the hazards out there, and for updates to the different areas allowing overnight camping. Be safe out there, and happy travels!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I wouldn't advise 'Clicking' any of the links in the recent posts in the 'Drive Carefully' thread.
Links deleted. And the 3 forum moderators (Derek, John, and Linda) added to this new category to help combat any future spam as well. Thnx for the heads up by Terry and the work you moderators have been doing to eliminate the spam.

Looks like this was a new forum category Greg added when he updated the software. The permissions for guests were enabled for them to reply to topics.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a brand new member (newbie) and am just learning my way around this great site. I am thankful that you do have such good moderators like Derek, John, Linda and more. I am glad to see that you folks were quick to solve whatever the spam or link problem was, that had just occurred above. So, good going for you folks! Perhaps, keeping non-members from any type of "input", may help keep this site safe. Just a thought.

Back to this topic: Sometime in the future, I will post some funny/tragic mishaps during my many 1988 Dolphin trips. 1) Getting stuck on a cattle guard in the middle of Montana. 2) Having a major engine repair in a very small town. 3) The steepest down grade I've ever driven down in Wyoming...WARNING signs everywhere...

...smokin' brake shoes...it was bad!

Thanks for having such a wonderful forum and website!

Riverman77

Riverman77, did that steep downgrade happen to be on US 14A on the west side of the Bighorn Mtns? I have driven it about 7 or 8 times in a Chevy Caprice pulling a 2000 lb popup with 6 people and a butt load of STUFF. The secret is driving in first gear, going slow and using the brakes only when nessecary to drop your speed. If you use the brakes for more than 30 seconds, stop and let them cool off. I watch the tach when on the steepest grades to avoid overreving the engine.

I will be driving that section of road next summer when I go west.

A Reply to Bob C:

Bob,

You are correctomundo! I just have not whipped out my Wyoming map yet to correctly write the story yet. So, here is kind of an impromptu version for this story:

A few years back, I was lost and wandering through the Bighorns in North Central Wyoming. I wasn't finding any good railroad lines to camp by nor the type of forested lands that I enjoy. So, I decided to get the heck out of Wyoming and back up to Montana - where I enjoy most. The only problem is, in order to take this shortcut, I needed to drop straight down 10,000 feet from the top of the Bighorn Mountains to the death valley desert of Western Wyoming. I figured that I would simply keep it in low gear and go slow and everything would be fine. Even better yet, I knew that I was safe...I had just put new brakes on all the way around, just before the trip. I starting heading West on this SR14A. This was clearly a sleeper hill...very, very gradually getting steeper. There were highway signs everywhere saying, "WARNING Will Robinson" "You're in great danger" "Turn around now - or die". Actually the signs gave real warnings of VERY steep grades ahead, alternate routes advised and pull over to "cool" your brakes. So again, I kept it low gear all the way down. I pulled over at EVERY brake cool down spot and took absolutely no chances on this Evil Kinevil hill. My wonderful (new, now not new) brakes were smokin' and at times mushey. I think that I took 10 brake cool down rests, during the course of getting down to the bottom of this mountain. With all of the brake cool down rests, I think that it took me about 2-1/2 hours to drive about 10 miles. This is the one of the more challenging things that I have ever done with the Dolphin! Obviously, I did make it down OK, I didn't go over any cliffs and believe it or not, I didn't even ruin my new brakes. As I stopped for my final brake cool down on the desert floor, there were RATTLE SNAKES all over the place. That's a whole different (short) story. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: the warning signs at the top of the hill highly warned against camp trailers and DOLPHIN motorhomes to NOT attempt this decent into the desert.

Bob, you and your Chevy are a better man than me. I won't be flirting with disaster anytime soon again...in my Dolphin!

Riverman77

The Chevy had a built 350 in it. It slowed down just as good as it took off and drank gas. I will be trying a couple of killer hills here in WI before I attempt 14A in WY. If the Escaper can't deal with my steep WI grades I will not be takng that route. I know of a couple of 14 % drops along the Mississippi River valley on county roads and will be dropping down those for practice. They are not more than a mile long but I will be able to judge the motor braking ability of the MH.

• 4 weeks later...

my wife is from cody wy that 14a i know it never been out there in a rv only my old toyota corona wagon . it is a dusey on my map your over 10,000 feet there

• 2 weeks later...

Yup 5T, it was a heck of a drop. I'm not sure exactly how many 1000's of feet drop in not much of a distance.

Does anyone know the drop and the miles of Hwy 14A in north central Wyoming?

-Riverman77

Riverman-This is one of the warning signs at Burgess Junction where you have to decide which route you want to take. I have always gone down the northern (steeper) route but with the Toyhouse, I may choose the less steep route. The southern route is still 5 to 7 % grade.. I know that I can handle those because I have done many at that angle.

Next time I am in the area, I am going to take photos of every warning sign. There must be about 10 signs telling you about the danger ahead.

post-5523-0-37458800-1358882713_thumb.jp

Bob C,

You are the greatest! That is one of many signs to warn of the extremely steep grades. We never did stop to take any photos, as you did. It kind of makes you wonder: That if a driver ignores all 10 of these warning signs and has a vehicle in poor mechanical condition, that particular driver deserves to get what ever 'instant kharma' comes his way! (well, not really. I only wish 'happy camping' upon everyone.) The state of Wyoming has done their very best to give adequate warning to all drivers. Thanks for digging up the photo.

-Riverman77

The only problem with some moron getting taken out is that he will probably kill some innocent person along with himself.

My Father always taught simple lessons such as: "Watch out for the other guy", "Personal responsibility is your own responsibility", "The behind you save, may be your own", etc. etc.

-Riverman77

My kids informed me that they want to take the northern route when we go through the area next summer. they still remember a young girl with WI plates driving a Chevy Cavalier that passed us 3 times on the downhill. She would pass us and run her brakes until they smoked, pull over to let them cool and do it all over again. My 9 year old daughter wanted to know why we didn't have smoke coming from our tires like she did. Even the 9 yr old was smart enough to know that the girl was doing something wrong.

Bob C,

You've taught your kids well. Unfortunately, the Chevy girl may not have had as good of an upbringing. Sounds like she certainly had a bad driving instructor, though! Was she also texting, driving and doing her make up?

-Riverman77