Best 12v coffee maker?

fred heath

greetings fellow toy drivers. will be starting my east coast road trip in 2 weeks. coffee in the a.m. a necessity.

i would settle for 4 cups but prefer 8. i've heard many of these machines take a lifetime to brew. i did wire in a dedicated 30amp sub-panel from the coach batt. so power requirement is good. thanks for your help. fred

I ran into the same issue. Most coffee makers require 900watts of power, much more than those little 12V plugs are meant to put out. It's amazing how much energy is required to boil water!

The solution: go to Walmart and pick up a Coleman propane powered coffee maker ($45.00). The coffee maker hooks up to a small standard propane bottle, and get the job done much more efficiently and cheaper than trying to use electricity. I'm going to get one really soon. Currently, I have to pull out my little Honda EU2000 generator and fire it up just to make coffee.

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

I ran into the same issue. Most coffee makers require 900watts of power, much more than those little 12V plugs are meant to put out. It's amazing how much energy is required to boil water!

The solution: go to Walmart and pick up a Coleman propane powered coffee maker ($45.00). The coffee maker hooks up to a small standard propane bottle, and get the job done much more efficiently and cheaper than trying to use electricity. I'm going to get one really soon. Currently, I have to pull out my little Honda EU2000 generator and fire it up just to make coffee.

Timmy

www.timmystoyota.blogspot.com

I use my stove same as my mom did. Plenty of old fashioned percolaters still out there. You can also put a drip cup directly onto a thermos. Heat water in a pot. I make espresso every morning whether I'm at home or on the road. Use stove top espresso maker both places. Pour it into a thermos and stays hot for hours. Got to have my caffine. Little Sunrader so appliances can take too much room

LS

As an admitted coffee snob I found the best solution to RV coffee is either the Melitta manual pour over or if it is just my wife and I and I need just a couple of cups, I also travel with the Aero Press. Both require you boil water on the stove top but is quick and easy to clean up after. I'm not a fan of the percolator method but that is a taste and preference issue. I also find the two methods I use to be more efficient with regard to gas consumption.

The Melitta can be found at some stores (I've seen it in grocery and department stores) and direct at the Melitta web site. The Aero press can be had at Amazon.

Edited by Back East Don

We use a bialetti stovetop espresso maker. They take about 4 min to brew. The cup size listed for them is 2oz per espresso cup, so a 6 cup model is basically brewing 2 mugs at full capacity. The benefit of these brewers is you don't need a separate pot to boil water, nor do you need paper filters. Disadvantage is definitely limited capacity.

We use a bialetti stovetop espresso maker. They take about 4 min to brew. The cup size listed for them is 2oz per espresso cup, so a 6 cup model is basically brewing 2 mugs at full capacity. The benefit of these brewers is you don't need a separate pot to boil water, nor do you need paper filters. Disadvantage is definitely limited capacity.

Check ebay. My camper espresso pot holds at least 18 ounces, maybe more. I know it's much bigger than my home pot and I just measured that one 14 ounces. I mix with hot chocolate and make it a mocha. Fill a liter pot by the time I'm done.

LS

thanks for the info. i've gutted the origional appliances to allow for more storage space.

i do have the 2800 onan. guess my mr. coffee will work fine. fred

McD's, buck for a large cup of pretty damn good coffee, IMO.

if McD's is out of range, we use an old fashion stovetop percolator. Some don't like perc'd coffee, but, I'm good with it. A french press is probably the best method. For those that use electrons to make their water hot, sure it does work, but, it is an obscenely expensive way to heat water. If you don't want to dedicate space to a permanent space top, get one of those briefcase sized coleman 2 burner jobs. You can use the very convenient screw on bottles or you could figure out a way to run a quick disconnect line to your propane tank.

Does anyone know if there is a way to refill the screw on bottles from our onboard tanks? That would really be the ideal way to do it.

someone here posted about a way to refill the little tanks. sounded a little cumbersome to me, but if you used alot of them might be worth the effort.

glad i drink coffee for the caffiene and not the flavor, just do the instant thing when not hooked up to shore power :o)

I use Mom's old drip-a-lator. Makes the best coffee and all you need is boiled water. Easy as pie! :P

Tudy from MN

• 4 weeks later...

I'd go old fashioned percolator, or get the Starbucks Via instant and just use a kettle to boil water. The Via is for if you are like me and like a GOOD cup of coffee in the morning.

that seems kind of weird, to buy an expensive propane coffee maker when you have a propane stove top that owuld boil water for pennies....

as a matter of fact it seems weird to use a 12 volt coffee maker at all, I could see one as an emergency back up.

I used 12 volt coffee makers and they all melted.

They would blow all fuses they needed a direct link to the battery ( I usually ended up literally popping the hood, and running the engine.

The amount of time is like..... 10 minutes or more? whereas boiling water with propane takes 2 minutes.

Get either a french press or a teapot

and a 12 volt coffee maker is a percolator,

I dont know man tearing out a propane stove top and installing a 2800 watt onan generator for making coffee is like going from the penthouse to the outhouse fast.

Propane stoves are for boiling water, thats what they are there for. burning gas, to generate electricity to heat water uses about 50 times as much gas if not more. I dont think its out of line to say.... 200 times as much fuel.

Costco has a nice aftermarket stove and oven for 160$

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Hunt-Personal-Coffee-Maker/dp/B0069AI51Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_13

not to ignore your question

anything that is connected via the cigarette lighter is a peice of poop.

just by definition it takes 20 minutes or it would melt the connector. its true I would not lie to you.

You need sometihng that at least has alligator clips or its garbage. This one, with a connection to a battery shows it means business.

I have a 12v coffee maker. Like a Mr.Coffee but 12v. I thought that it would be nice to make my cup-o-joe, whilst driving down the road. I used it on long car roadtrips. It burns out fuses, as was mentioned. I still have it, but use my little Coleman burner to boil water now. Quicker & easier. Yeah.... Why would you want one in a motorhome? You've got your kitchen right there. :/

Tudy in MN

• 3 months later...

I have the Italbrew pods espresso machine 12V. For me is just perfect because it's taking only 3 minutes before is brewing the first cup (afterwards no waiting time needed), and because is working with pods (the perfect dose for an espresso, cheap, and I just found a website that sells espresso pods with amaretto aroma...Mamma mia!). Sometimes I use a convertor, and I use it in the office too. Is a good machine. I have it since June, and is working perfect. AAA My car's battery is fine too:))))