CraigsPal has shut down

waiter

Very Sad day. For those of you who don't know what CraigsPal is (was), it was an application that you installed on your computer, and you could search across Craigs List entire database, with different parameters.

i.e. If I wanted to see all Toyota Motorhome that were for sale in the lower 48, for a price between 2000 and 8000, and only look for the ads that are less than 3 days old , and had a photo attached. I could do this.

This program made Craigslist the powerful database that it should have been.

Heres a link to CraigsPal web site where they made the announcement that they were quitting.

To bad, Craigs list really sucks for doing this.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I saw that yesterday. I agree, almost makes craigslist useless unless you just want local. Guess they figure that's how most do their searches, just locally. Seems to me that since craigslist is open to the public why would it be wrong to gather that data and re-present it in a much more useful way. I think craigslist has something stuck up their you know what.

Here is the full statement from craigspal.

May 19th, 2012

Announcement:

On May 18th 2012, CraigsPal received Cease and Desist letter from legal counsel of Perkins Coie who represents Craigslist.org. I have thought about this letter for a while now and have come to the unfortunate conclusion that I’m going to run down craigspal.com.

While I could consult a lawyer and fight the most egregious of the claims within the C&D, I’ve decided that the upside in conducting a legal battle is just too small. Despite the claims in the C&D letter, I have never really profited. That’s right. While Craigslist attempts to cast me as some kind of evil profiteer, they’re making an estimated $25 million per employee.

This for you is important to read.

I’m glad Craigslist makes money though. I just wish they would reinvest their profits in innovation. Instead of paying lawyers to shut down innovative ideas, they could be searching for ways to make Craigslist better. And there are thousands of people who would say that CraigsPal made Craigslist a lot better. Please DON'T any of this: fight CL forum, argue CL forum, brag about CraigsPal, spam CL, offend CL.

Zip radius (nationwide is others business, let's focus on local, 100-200 miles, mash those results, offer), mappers, digest, flagging (groups of people with pre-defined interests AKA saved searches in CL my account, serve it daily or regularly, the same group is your best Flagging squad that will keep the niche clean if you do not have any other solution, team); efficiently connected local resources is important now. You don't need to go in the other city, you'll have them in yours, if you setup saved searches under your CL account, that's the point. This is not to be done by third-party , this must be done by CL, anything can be coded. There's a need to efficiently connect people, that's the matter.

This year I picked up some great vintage surfboards thanks to Craigspal. It’s also helped thousands of other people find collectibles, jobs, gigs, cars, and even a lost pet. In fact a few forward thinking police departments were using Craigspal to find stolen property being sold on Craigslist. To my knowledge Craigslist doesn’t provide any tools for law enforcement officers to monitor their listings for illegal activity.

If you are a current Craigspal member, this means, it was fantastic experience, but it's over. You won’t be able to re-subscribe nor will any current free subscribers be able to use it. I am deeply touched with waves of feedback, support and praise about the CraigsPal project you may still send to info@craigspal.com. I am greatly thankful for helping so many people to find their dreams and make them happy, this is my biggest reward.

On a personal note, I can’t help but feel that I let down my most fervent supporters, especially my wife and children who has supported me during the thousands of hours I spent developing, refining, and supporting this software and members.

Sincerely,

Craigs Pal.

I saw that yesterday. I agree, almost makes craigslist useless unless you just want local. Guess they figure that's how most do their searches, just locally. Seems to me that since craigslist is open to the public why would it be wrong to gather that data and re-present it in a much more useful way. I think craigslist has something stuck up their you know what.

Here is the full statement from craigspal.

I use adhunter. Works fairly well

http://www.adhuntr.com/

Linda S

Those look good but no way to search just a few geographic locations like craigspal can. An example, I am looking for a flatbed trailer to haul my tractor. So in craigspal I select certain (several) geo locals that I am willing to drive to. Going to craigslist directly and having to do several searches to cover the same territory is a joke.

You used to be able to do the same with crazedlist.com, but CL seems to have shut them down too.

I really can't understand why CL shuts these sites down. Can't understand how it hurts them. But they haven't changed anything in years (that I've noticed). Only a matter of time before someone comes along and bumps them off their throne. In my area, Kijiji gets much more traffic than CL.

Those look good but no way to search just a few geographic locations like craigspal can. An example, I am looking for a flatbed trailer to haul my tractor. So in craigspal I select certain (several) geo locals that I am willing to drive to. Going to craigslist directly and having to do several searches to cover the same territory is a joke.

Takes a few more clicks but adhunter will let you search down to northern Cal. Look at left hand side of page after you enter your main search item and click search

Hope this comes through true

http://www.adhuntr.c...pq=&as_eq=#2602

Linda S

Well close. Still have to click on nor ca;

I used to use craigzoom till it they shut them down. then craiglook came along until being shut down last week.

WTF is with CL?

I think it may have to do with the dogooder hippies at CL wanting it to be a local community service and these search engines turn it into a nationwide source for us capitalist pig knuckldragging republicans who might use it to buy and sell stuff to make a buck.

I agree with the earlier post that says someone will eventually come along and welcome search engines or better yet, have one of their own that is worth a damn.

allofcraigs.com is what i used anyway.

never even heard of craigspal. i wonder why they were harrassed and not allofcraigs.com which is the widely used one.

maybe they pay for it with their own ads

It seems that the protection legality is in the right, but it is a shame that the product CraigsPal has to go.....There have been a few trying to improve on the CraigsList protocol, and maybe the acquiring of someones hard work that betters the use and ease of it would be more prudent than suing everyone that is only trying to benefit them and their users? Good Luck all in all your future searches! Peace!