Battery ?

sanddigger

Hi, All its Sanddigger I Got a ---> Question... I Have a 1982 Toyota Dolphin I am rebuilding noting like a Little work.. Now The Question ---> Do you Need Two Battery to work on The inside wiring ? when I picked up this 82' Dolphin it did not have the battery on the driver side so I Don,t Know what battery to put in it. Thanks for any Help aka- Joe

You should have a truck battery under the hood and a deep cycle battery somewhere in the coach. The two batteries are charged by the truck alternator. There should be a battery isolator under the hood somewhere that electrically connects the coach battery to the charging circuit when the truck is running. When the truck is not running, the coach battery runs the coach electric but does not drain the truck battery.

There are several people here that will be more specific and have some really helpful diagrams that help a lot if you are new to Toyboxes.

The battery in the coach must be a true deep cycle battery, not a starting battery.

DEREK YOU ARE RIGHT ON THAT MY 1978 had them both under the hood

derek is correct. in the 79 dolphin both batteries were under the hood.the one on passenger side starts the engine the other for the coach.if you plug into 120 volts you can work on it without battery.

if that is the case I dont have the mounting plate for it ( which would be welded in) I wonder where I could get one?

also then missing the isolator... and wiring from the cab to the battery?

where is that?

• 4 weeks later...

My 84 has the house battery under the hood, on the driver's side. I thought that they all were that way. :/

mine isnt its a 79. doesnt appear to me it was ever there because of the windshield wiper resevoir.

the isolater is under the hood though. could not tell you why, perhaps the big motorhomes put them in the house next to the converter like mine?.

I wish mine was up front im going to retrofit it that way.

plenty of open space for it there, but it might reduce its life to have it be hot all the time up there.

THE MAGER DIFFERANCE I FOUND IS UNDER THE HOOD ON THE OLDER ONES I COULD FIT ONLY THE SMALLER GROUP 24 deep cycle but it did very good. ON at least some of the later ones you can use a considerably larger battery the group 27. AND ON THE EFI MOTER I DONT SEE HOW YOU COULD PUT THE RV BATTERY UNDER THE HOOD

Electrically you'er are better off with the battery in the coach because that is where are the loads are. The run of wire to the rear is not big deal because it's basically only for charging and the loss is not as important as it would be for loads and also the ability to fit a larger battery.

i would leave the battery for the coach as well as isolater right where the mfg built it to be. the cable sizes used were the sizes needed to be effective and safe. totally rewireing i would think would be not so easy trying to run a large wire from the cab to the fuse box to distribute the power to the 12 volt items in the coach. if there's no second battery under the hood, or even a place to put one, the coach battery is somewhere, at least was somewhere. i don't know but would assume no MH was ever built using the starter battery to also power the coach, not good for many reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have an 87 and the battery is located in the coach, right behind the passenger. Mine didn't come with a battery either when I bought her. What size is best and are there any particular brands recommended?

Thanks!

make sure it's deep cycle, not marine, as big as will fit is good especially if you want to do an inverter for tv etc. will probably be a group 24 or 27. walmart has them resonable i thought. too heavy to have shipped for sure.