Hi new guy with 79 Dolphin

stamar

just got this thing581893_379881088714539_100000779525199_959132_751442788_n.jpg

149495_379943642041617_100000779525199_959222_2086023088_n.jpg

runs fine but the suspension is a bit shot.

seems to be bowed down on the end.

this is a 79, dually.

What are the springs and shocks I should use? Does a dually use the same as a 79 truck?

help me out, for the leaf springs and rear shocks can I get a direct link?

Also, what are the main quick ways people get more power out of a 20r?

Before you spent bucks on it, what rear axle does it have. Take a picture of the rear wheel assembly with out hub cap and post it.

The easist up rate for a 20r is swap in a 22r and a Weber carb.

Are the airbags (on rear suspension ) inflated? I am guessing you have them. i am also wondering if your rear leaf springs have lost their arch.

Since you seem to be new to this I suggest that you seekout the thread on the 6 bolt full floating rear end --- toy switched to those about 86 - and for good reason. If yours was not modifid I would consider that before I worry about any other rear suspension issues.

just got this thing581893_379881088714539_100000779525199_959132_751442788_n.jpg

149495_379943642041617_100000779525199_959222_2086023088_n.jpg

runs fine but the suspension is a bit shot.

seems to be bowed down on the end.

this is a 79, dually.

What are the springs and shocks I should use? Does a dually use the same as a 79 truck?

help me out, for the leaf springs and rear shocks can I get a direct link?

Also, what are the main quick ways people get more power out of a 20r?

Before you spent bucks on it, what rear axle does it have. Take a picture of the rear wheel assembly with out hub cap and post it.

The easist up rate for a 20r is swap in a 22r and a Weber carb.

thanks Im about to take pictures right now, Ill put them in this post.

I am also looking for the amount and viscosity for the rear differential, and the transmission oil, and a diy link...

and the amount and shape and name of the coolant hoses..

also how is the rear air supposed to start?

Edited by stamar

In the event there are airbags,

what are the shocks used?

Ill go ahead and research a rear end upgrade.

but toyota leaf springs are so cheap. I basically want brand new leaf springs, new shocks.

I dont know if there are air bags, where do I look that up because I sure cant see under the thing.

the rear suspension is shot basically bouncing left to right in turns. Im not sure if air bags could cause that.

what I am looking for though is the spring size im looking for and the shock type so I can start shopping. as far as I know, I can get new springs and new shocks for under $300 actually shipped to me.

I want basically a brand new suspension. are the front springs and shocks always the same as a 79 toyota truck?

Edited by stamar

as far as the oil for the trans and the axle 90 wt gear oil hypoid rated is standerd i dont rember the amount there is a plug on the side of the trans to check the leval it is full when oil runs out of the hole same on rear axle . but if do not have the six lug rear axle you need to see about upgrading it read the axle post on here A BIG SAFT EY ISSUE MAGER IMPORTINT BE AWARE OF THIS DANGEROUS PROBLEM YES the front shocks should be the same as truck shocks REAR AIR BAGS are mounted on the rear axle i dont know if that year used them . as i have owend several 20 r toyota i felt the webber carb gave a little more power they are stock about 96 hp dont expt to hurry you need to learn to use the trans on a hill you will need 3rd gear in the woods low or second will go just about anywher you want to go but those fours like to wind lugging them will kill them

1a884ea436f61724a6e0b1ac2696363a_415474_thm.jpghttp://lightbox-phot..._415474_thm.jpg

I do indeed have a dangerous 5 lug rear axel

I do not have any air bags.

I have 5 leaf springs, and Im almost certain I see whats called a helper spring already installed.

rear end is scraping, about like 5 inches off the ground.

should I install air bags? link me to the ones installed. im new to this large motorhome sort of driving experience but not new to trucks.

Its my opinion right now that the springs are bowed shot worn out and worthless.

I might be able to use the helper springs installed on them however.

please link me to the springs I need and what they are called....

Edited by stamar

You need to weigh the vehicle and then sit down and make a decision on whether you should retrofit the rear axle. Get a weight for the front axle, and the rear axle, Check your yellow pages, most gravel pits have scales.

I see from your post that this has fake dullies. (There is much discussion here regarding the issues with fake dully, they aggravate the problem of rear axle failure by shifting the center of load from the center of the bearings, to the side of the bearings. This also causes a slight bending of the axle.

A couple thoughts, One of the reason for going to the fake dullys was a single tire could not support the weight. light truck tires were not available, so they used two passenger car tires. With the availability of light truck tires, One tire may be able to support the weight, and with one tire, the loading on the Axel bearings would be correct (still may be overloaded by weight, but it would be centered over the bearing correctly) and the corresponding axle bending would be mitigated.

There have been many posts on this site, read through them.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

some of those fake dueles were two rims just bolted together and some were too rims welded together the only fix is to replace the whole axle. as far as i know all the moter homes used 14 inch rims execpt the four wheel drives