Sunrader jerking and gasping,..

perry mason

Hello, I just returned safe and sound from my 5200 mile goodwill tour of sunny southern mexico in the 84 Sunrader. I had two flat rear tires (brand new tires) on the journey and had to drive about 500 miles with one odd size on the rear twice. (185/70/R14 from the spare for the front). I have since replaced all four rear tires. 185/75/R14 as per the owners manual.

The problem is on three separate occasions the truck was stroking along at max warp (62mph) when it started jerking and stopping in spastic fits like a girl trying to drive a clutch for the first time. I coast to the side of the road, broke, discouraged and far from home and find the engine's running fine, nothing's hot- hubs, brakes fine, all system's normal. I drive away fine and get up to highway speed and it starts again, like something's gobbed up the carburetor but more violent and more like it involves the clutch or drive train. After a rest of about 10 minutes I drive away and everything's fine for another 1000 miles. It did it twice more, both times bucking 15knts of headwind on a long uphill pull at freeway speed. Again, I coast to a stop and the engine idles perfectly smooth. I wait ten minutes and drive away. Any ideas? Should I call Click and Clack? It's kind of a puzzler. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them. Impending axle failure? It's an 84 Toyota Sunrader, 22R, 18 footer, 4-speed, duals in the back with 150,000 miles on it and brand new tires. TIA and happy spring to all, pm.

I'm a bit concerned with your tires (old AND new). You should be running 185R14 Load Range C or D (6 or 8 ply). I'm not aware of any manufacturer that make a Load Range C or D in the 2 sizes you mention. The load capacity of the 2 I mention are 1600lbs (@ 50psi) and 1875lbs (@65psi). I'm not sure what owners manual you're referring to, but suspect it's the Toyota Pickup one.

For your other problem, I'm thinking maybe a weak fuel pump.

Sounds like a dragging brake. Gets hot and tries to stop you. Cools off and goes again. Broken spring can make the brake drag intermitantly. Dereks right . Those are the wrong size tires. Front ones are wrong too. Need 185r14 all the way around

LS

Hello, I just returned safe and sound from my 5200 mile goodwill tour of sunny southern mexico in the 84 Sunrader. I had two flat rear tires (brand new tires) on the journey and had to drive about 500 miles with one odd size on the rear twice. (185/70/R14 from the spare for the front). I have since replaced all four rear tires. 185/75/R14 as per the owners manual.

The problem is on three separate occasions the truck was stroking along at max warp (62mph) when it started jerking and stopping in spastic fits like a girl trying to drive a clutch for the first time. I coast to the side of the road, broke, discouraged and far from home and find the engine's running fine, nothing's hot- hubs, brakes fine, all system's normal. I drive away fine and get up to highway speed and it starts again, like something's gobbed up the carburetor but more violent and more like it involves the clutch or drive train. After a rest of about 10 minutes I drive away and everything's fine for another 1000 miles. It did it twice more, both times bucking 15knts of headwind on a long uphill pull at freeway speed. Again, I coast to a stop and the engine idles perfectly smooth. I wait ten minutes and drive away. Any ideas? Should I call Click and Clack? It's kind of a puzzler. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them. Impending axle failure? It's an 84 Toyota Sunrader, 22R, 18 footer, 4-speed, duals in the back with 150,000 miles on it and brand new tires. TIA and happy spring to all, pm.

We have a 1987 Odessey 21' that we started on a trip and got about 15 miles from home when it started slowing down and started jerking to a stop while going up a mountain. The hugs were getting hot so thought it was the calipers. Sat on side of road for about 20 min and drove it home. Changed the calipers, hoses, brakes, checked rotors, fine. Then took it on a 1200 mile trip everything fine. Didn't get to go again for about 4 months but kept moving it around in the yard during that time. Got about 10 miles from home and it started slowing down and brakes were getting hot, sat on side of road for about 45 minutes while talking to someone that asked to help. When they cooled they worked fine for a while, we were in town and used the emergency brake part of the time. Headed home and without using the brakes it started slowing down again, pulled over again and it was getting warm, so sat for a little while before going on home. Pulled the flexible hoses and they were open but calipers would not release. Found out it was the reducer with some kind of valve in it that connects the front brake line to the master cylinder was only releasing the fluid part of the time. Will take for test drive to make sure that is all that is needed before trying to find that part without having to buy the $150 master cylinder.

I vote for fuel pump.

fuel pump could be but i would change the fuel filter first then try it. have seen filters full of crap. Idle ok but chocke out at speed

fuel pump could be but i would change the fuel filter first then try it. have seen filters full of crap. Idle ok but chocke out at speed

I agree it's a fuel problem. I had identical symptoms on a trip to Florida a few years back. We pulled into a NAPA store and described the problem to the guy behind the counter. He handed us a fuel pump which we installed in the parking lot....problem fixed.

But it coulda just as well been a plugged filter...

Isn't the fuel pump in the 84 inside the gas tank? I know my 86 is. Not an easy fix

LS

I agree it's a fuel problem. I had identical symptoms on a trip to Florida a few years back. We pulled into a NAPA store and described the problem to the guy behind the counter. He handed us a fuel pump which we installed in the parking lot....problem fixed.

But it coulda just as well been a plugged filter...

THE 22RE EFI IS IN THE TANK THE CARB 22R SHOULD BE A NON ELETRIC PUMP ON THE FRONT OF THE ENG. the RUBBER DIAFRAMS IN THOSE CAN RUPT UER . IF you take of the valve cover on the 22 r only you can see the arm of the fuel pump on the cam this type of pump can leak gas out in the moter through bad diafram . dont run it just turn over a little to check.

just rembered on 22r take the tank side fuel line off the pump and blow air back in the tank .sometimes many years of crud canplug in the tank

Guest hiinthesky

I sure would like to hear about your trip to southern mexico. The group really seems to be split on how safe it is to traval in Mexico. What are you're thougts??

Bruce

87 Sun Land Express

Topeka, KS

• 2 weeks later...

just rembered on 22r take the tank side fuel line off the pump and blow air back in the tank .sometimes many years of crud canplug in the tank

Hi, sorry it's taken so long to respond. I'm here at the library for Inet.

My friends had your described, gas leaking into the valve cover problem on a newer model SunRader and lost their whole engine far from home. Gas thinned out the oil and failed to lubricate the lower end or something. Terminal. They had to mail their grandkids back to where they came from and live in a hotel while it was "fixed"; new engine. Over $5000 cash. The new engine developed problems about 800 miles away. (bring it back, we'll fix it,..). I seem to remember going through more oil than usual too. I'll just replace the FP to be on the safe side. Thanks, everyone for your input.

p.s. I did check the hubs and brakes for heat each time but they felt normal. A dragging brake would smell real bad in my experience. Happy trails, pm.

I'm a bit concerned with your tires (old AND new). You should be running 185R14 Load Range C or D (6 or 8 ply). I'm not aware of any manufacturer that make a Load Range C or D in the 2 sizes you mention. The load capacity of the 2 I mention are 1600lbs (@ 50psi) and 1875lbs (@65psi). I'm not sure what owners manual you're referring to, but suspect it's the Toyota Pickup one.

For your other problem, I'm thinking maybe a weak fuel pump.

I'm sure you're right about this. The vehicle was sold to me with brand new tires, receipt and all so I thought I'd use them up. I paid $1700 for a running rig with 150k miles, a smelly carpet and bumper stickers all over it. The squirrel cage in the heater didn't work. Paid $300 to transfer the title in WA so $2000 all in, initially.

When I limped into Discount Tire in Tucson, AZ they looked up the correct size for an 84 SunRader, stated the tires on it were the only prescribed size for that vehicle and replaced the rear set of four. It squats now like all four tires are stupidly low on air, just like it did when I bought it. 38lbs is the most they said to put in them. I did ask about getting more robust tires.

If I understand you correctly I should be able to put 185R14's in 8ply and that will fit on the rims I have? The 70, 75 part of the sizing is taken care of when you specify the 6 or 8 ply rating? Not much of a tire guy. Thanks for your response, pm.

Edited by perry mason

If I were you, I'd head for the nearest Discount Tire and tell them they sold and installed the WRONG TIRES. A passenger car tire will have a maximum tire pressure of (I think) 38psi, as you mentioned. A Load Range C (6 ply) will be marked 50psi. A Load Range D (8 ply) is marked 65psi. The passenger car tires they sold you will squish down much more and bulge out at the sides are road level. There's a real risk that the sidewalls (at the rear) will rub together as you bounce down the road and around the corners. This can lead to a blowout from sidewall damage.

This isn't a Toyota pickup. This is 6000lb (or more) motorhome.

Some brands to consider:

Hankook RA08

Yokohama Y356

Continental Vanco

I sure would like to hear about your trip to southern mexico. The group really seems to be split on how safe it is to traval in Mexico. What are you're thougts??

Bruce

87 Sun Land Express

Topeka, KS

About safety. Some particulars: I'm a physically small a 56 year old man traveling alone, no dog, no living relatives or attatchments and living on $1400 per month. No combat training. I have a prudent bank reserve to draw on in emergency. I speak some phrase-book spanish but am in no way conversant. I'm don't frequent bars or whorehouses or go out looking for drugs. The Ten Year import permit for the SR was $50us. I got it at K19, south of Nogalas. I keep a boat in mex so I'm mostly driving straight through to get to it rather than stopping to vacation and play cards with 1000 trail members along the way. I mostly sleep at the Pemex (gas station) parking lot for maybe 4 hours before driving on. There's usually someone with a machine gun playing solitaire there day or night. Idling 18 wheelers are the only really drag but I'm usually so tired I can sleep anyway. If I stop somewhere else when near a town or houses someone usually pounds on the door trying to sell me something. Kids are especially curious. They really like the convex wide-view mirror thing on the rear window. Really cool view of the interior from outside if the drapes are open. I slept ok in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Mazatlan but just as well at a Soriana (Mexican grocery/dept chain store) on the outskirts. No one seems to mind anyway.

Lot's of places to pull out along the highway and usually a mexican family or workers in transit taking a pee brake there too so you're not stopped completely alone. I stop there if there's a nice view and eat lunch and use the shower. (Yes!!) Watch an episode of Weeds and drive on.

I prefer to drive at night as I've made this trip a few times and have seen what there is to see already. Less traffic, less distraction and I'm less in everyones way. More chance of Huge Cow on the Road action but my number hasn't come up yet for some reason. This is advised against by almost everyone but I've never had any trouble. Plenty of it is one lane. There is no shoulder on 15 most of the way. If you break down you are blocking the whole lane. This would really suck at night more so than in the day. It's a crap shoot. Trucks and buses do about 75 along here at all hours. 60 in a lurching RV feels like you're risking your life. If you get a wheel off the blacktop you would probably cartwheel the Toy and die in a flaming wreck leaving a giant gringo consumer pinata spread over 100 yards of blistered desert.

In the general sense people will usually stop and help you or ask if you need gas or a ride. Mexicans don't seem so freaked out over the whole "personal safety" thing which is weird since they've had some 30,000 dead or injured from drug/gang related killings in the past 5 years if what we read is an indication. 15 is mostly a toll road. Even though I weigh less than a Chev Suburban I pay double because of the dual tires in the rear. In 920 miles (Nogalas to San Blas) I think I spent about $250us. Fuel was roughly $4.80 gal. It's in liters so I'm never sure. There's only one gas company so it doesn't matter. You need cash most of the way. The credit/debit card capability if they had it wasn't consistently reliable. South of Mazatlan I took the toll road which I liked as it's through jungle overhanging the one-lane most of the way. Makes you feel pretty exotic.

People on RV groups have recommended a "park" at the north end of Mantechen bay, just south of San Blas- I can't remember the name of it as there's a couple side by side. It was reported and circulated locally in the middle of Jan 2012 that in broad daylight 2 or 3 mexican men walked up to a small concrete pad on the beach which serves as an RV park there and jacked a mid sized RV along with the lone driver at gun point. This is a beach I anchored off and walked on every day for 2 months. I had a great time, never had any trouble or dirty looks. 3 inflatables and 4 outboards were stolen in the 3 months I was there but no one bothered me. It's about 3 miles south of San Blas. They wanted to kidnap and ransom him but when they found out he didn't have any living relatives they threw him from the moving vehicle. He survived with scrapes and bruises but never saw the rig again. I don't know how he got home or back into his country of origin.

60 miles away in Tepic they had 22 people massacred by automatic weapon fire. I think this was in Nov 2011. Not sure how this works. Drug cartels get pissed at the military for interfering with their traffic so they just random spray a bunch of people at a Soriana grocery store. Girls, children, everyone- totally indiscriminate. I'm just guessing as to the cause. People said it was drug related.

Well, that's about all for me. I've never had any real trouble in mexico but I've kept pretty much to myself. I'v been in plenty of remote areas or anchorages. I plan to go back next year. I usually look around on the streets and if I can see kids playing and young girls/women walking around unaccompanied things are reasonably safe. If you don't see that I would start to reassess my surroundings. Good luck men, pm.

I'd definitely check/replace the fuel filter first on the list based on your descriptions. Clik and Clak would be a good call too! Think I read where somewhere that those guys were MIT grads?

I prefer to drive at night as I've made this trip a few times and have seen what there is to see already. Less traffic, less distraction and I'm less in everyones way. More chance of Huge Cow on the Road action but my number hasn't come up yet for some reason. This is advised against by almost everyone but I've never had any trouble.
Ha ha. I'm the same way tho I wouldn't dare tell anyone as they will jump down your throat and lecture you. Tho I tend to drive extremely slow and tail a big rig by a couple hundred feet or so in the open cattle country to the next Pemex as well. I especially like to drive through the big cities in the wee hours of the night tho. Agree, so much easier.

gluck w/ your trouble shooting.

If I were you, I'd head for the nearest Discount Tire and tell them they sold and installed the WRONG TIRES. A passenger car tire will have a maximum tire pressure of (I think) 38psi, as you mentioned. A Load Range C (6 ply) will be marked 50psi. A Load Range D (8 ply) is marked 65psi. The passenger car tires they sold you will squish down much more and bulge out at the sides are road level. There's a real risk that the sidewalls (at the rear) will rub together as you bounce down the road and around the corners. This can lead to a blowout from sidewall damage.

This isn't a Toyota pickup. This is 6000lb (or more) motorhome.

Some brands to consider:

Hankook RA08

Yokohama Y356

Continental Vanco

Thanks, I followed your advice. After a week of phone calls I got an appointment locally. DT swapped the tires out at no extra charge with the Yoko's after some back and forth. Somehow I ended up with no paperwork but 4 rear tires. Still have the truck tires on the front and am saving my pennies for the replacements. The SR handling is markedly improved as a result. Thanks again, pm.

It was hard to blow through but I got it done. Could just barely hear some gurgling at the far end of the line. Replaced the fuel pump for drill, $43. Couldn't find the gas filter, still looking for a manual too. Changed the oil/air filter. We'll see how it goes. Love my new tires, hate the ferry fare. Bye for now all, pm.

• 2 weeks later...