My 1994 Warrior keeps locking into park and sometimes it takes 30 minutes of tugging to get it out. Now I just leave it in neutral when parked (which is pretty darned sketchy). Any ideas what would cause this? The transmission shifts smoothly, the fluid is full and clean and otherwise has zero issues.

Thank you

Some where in that time span they went to a lockout system I have no ideal if yours has it but it interfaced with the brake light switch and you had to have your foot planted on the brake to get it out of park so it's possible you have an issue with the brake interlock. If you park it on a steep hill you might have problems getting it out but other then that they were not known to have any problems with the parking gear.

Owner of this group

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-campers/messages?o=1

Had the same problem with his v6 Sunrader. Took him a long time to figure it out and he's a darn good mechanic. Join the group and ask him. His group name is Turtle

Looks like he had to disasemble the steering column and disable the steering lock.

Linda S

My 1994 Warrior keeps locking into park and sometimes it takes 30 minutes of tugging to get it out. Now I just leave it in neutral when parked (which is pretty darned sketchy). Any ideas what would cause this? The transmission shifts smoothly, the fluid is full and clean and otherwise has zero issues.

Thank you

Thank you

unless the pawl in the tranny is somehow hanging (not likely) I am guessing you have a switch issue - if you check your brake pedal for a switch (or more then 1) that activates when the brake pedal is depressed you may find a starting point. if you have 1 switch & would verify your brake lights work - if they do then the interlock (probably in steering column) would be where I go next. No brake lights means a bad switch right there.

2 switches goes the same way - basic troubleshooting with a multimeter and bypassing switches should determine if the issue is down by your foot.

i have a 93 warrior - when I go by it next (i na few days) i will look at mine.

• 1 month later...

unless the pawl in the tranny is somehow hanging (not likely) I am guessing you have a switch issue - if you check your brake pedal for a switch (or more then 1) that activates when the brake pedal is depressed you may find a starting point. if you have 1 switch & would verify your brake lights work - if they do then the interlock (probably in steering column) would be where I go next. No brake lights means a bad switch right there.

2 switches goes the same way - basic troubleshooting with a multimeter and bypassing switches should determine if the issue is down by your foot.

i have a 93 warrior - when I go by it next (i na few days) i will look at mine.

Did you ever get a chance to check this out?

column shift or on the floor?

either way I bet it is related to the shift lock solenoid(most likely) , I had the switch (brake pedal to unlock shifter) that activates that solenoid go out on me in a 93 Range Rover on a road trip to Vancouver Canada (from St.louis) in Lincoln Nebraska, test the brake light switch and check to see you have power to that and the the part that unlocks the shift mechanism, usually the system uses a constant 12 volts then grounds when brake light switch is applied. if you need the schematics I can get them for you and what wire colors to test.

column shift or on the floor?

either way I bet it is related to the shift lock solenoid(most likely) , I had the switch (brake pedal to unlock shifter) that activates that solenoid go out on me in a 93 Range Rover on a road trip to Vancouver Canada (from St.louis) in Lincoln Nebraska, test the brake light switch and check to see you have power to that and the the part that unlocks the shift mechanism, usually the system uses a constant 12 volts then grounds when brake light switch is applied. if you need the schematics I can get them for you and what wire colors to test.

Auto/column shift.

Yeah, whatever you can get me would be great. It's been nearly a year I've been dealing with this. Think I can just replace solenoids and/or bypass wires? I would do anything that costs less than the $500.00 to $1000.00 it'll cost to bring it into Toyota which will have to happen in May if I cannot get it by then....

Did you ever get a chance to check this out?

Sorry - completely forgot - going over there today - maybe I can remember this time. I can say mine will not come out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

Concerning the interlock between the brake pedal and transmission shifter: is it a purely mechanical thing or is the 12v involved? I don't seem to remember ever being unable to shift an automatic vehicle into neutral to push it around with the battery removed. Not specifically a Toyota. Seems it's always simply been a case of turning the key to the run position to unlock the steering, push the brake pedal and move the shifter to 'neutral'.

something is not right somewhere (obviously!) if you bypass it it will remain "locked" power to it "unlocks"it. where are you located at? maybe figure this thing out over the phone worst case scenario. typing back and forth is so counterproductive when you are working on something chasing leads.

something is not right somewhere (obviously!) if you bypass it it will remain "locked" power to it "unlocks"it. where are you located at? maybe figure this thing out over the phone worst case scenario. typing back and forth is so counterproductive when you are working on something chasing leads.

I am Cali. Do you have a cell?

Sorry - completely forgot - going over there today - maybe I can remember this time. I can say mine will not come out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed.

Took a look - I see one switch down there -- so I'd guess if your brake lights work then the problem is down stream. I have seen automatic trannies that mechanically lock when the vehicle moves slightly and the parking pawl locks in too tight (rare) . Rocking the vehicl can release it sometimes.

My guess (emphasize guess)is that the solenoid setup that keeps one from moving the shifting lever from P is malfunctioning..

yes I have a cell, email me for it and I will get it to you or email me your # and I will call you ASAP- just seen you had replied, sorry for the delay.

Floor mounted shifters have a small button (Toyota) that is a shift lock over ride where you can push the button in (not electric, mechanical) it will allow the shifter to go into the other gears out of park, I know yours is a column but it would be along the lines of the same thing and if you trace from the brake light wiring to the column you will find the solenoid that unlocks it in the column, it either requires 12 volts or to be grounded to work, more than likely it is bad and not the wires.