First Timer

McCloud

I'm going to be looking at a '88 Toyota Horizon ST. 22r engine. He said a recall has been done on the Axel. No leaks. It has been kept in a dry garage for 19 years. Seems nice but could use some advice on what to look for, as well as what is a good price. I thank you in advance for any help.

when was it last run what is the miles how old tires auto or stick . not shure maybe all 88 had the better axle . someone will know that make . how much they want

All 1986 and newer Toyota motorhomes have the good axle. They were shipped from the factory with it, not a recall. The Horizon ST is one of the nicest Toyota rv's out there. Pretty rare

Garaged for 19 years, you have just found gold. Price depends on stuff like miles, tires. If the tires are older than 6 or 7 years they will need to be replaced at a cost of about 600 bucks. Anything under 100,000 miles is good but of course less is always better. One thing to check on the Horizon is the fiberglass nose cone. The front of the overhead. Make sure it is solidly attached to the frame. On some that have been roughly treated they can come loose and that's a major repair. If the price is 8000 or less jump on it

LS

I'm going to be looking at a '88 Toyota Horizon ST. 22r engine. He said a recall has been done on the Axel. No leaks. It has been kept in a dry garage for 19 years. Seems nice but could use some advice on what to look for, as well as what is a good price. I thank you in advance for any help.

It has 60k miles. 3 speed Automatic with OD. Recent tune-up. Hankook Tires have been recently been installed. Recently been taken on trips of a few hundred miles apiece. Have been given many pictures and it looks to be in excellent shape. He is asking 9,900. That seems a little steep when compared with the others I've looked at, but I'm clearly out of my element. Thanks again.

Also, he said he has resealed the roof with 3 coats of Elastomeric rubber sealer, not because of leaks, just as precautionary maintenance. Is this a recommended product/procedure?

Edited by McCloud

Sounds like a very nice camper. 9900 is a little steep. Start at 8000 and try to work a deal. I wouldn't go higher than 9. General rule of thumb for prices of toyota motorhomes is 1000 dollars for every last number of that year. So 88 would be 8000. There is a premium attached to the fiberglass ones though like the Sunrader or Americana. Usually and extra 1500 to 2000 more. The Horizon fits into that catagory but is so rare it's hard to put an exact figure on it. I don't think he's going to sell it fast at that price though so just keep at him. Here is a priciing guidline from the toyota-camper group on yahoo. She says to subtact 1 from the year but since she wrote it the prices have gone up because of availability and gas prices. You will have to join to see this but they have lots of info there and good group of people

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kEE5T165ls_x8cj7UiUvaHGxsU0SyuEceaoxoYNWj5wMOFjBXv1lncoZPXDwPamtdM8Kko6dXxiF0vI5yYsHyfJBEMyEePY/101%20PRICING%20GUIDELINES

Linda S

It has 60k miles. Automatic. Recent tune-up. Tires have been recently replaced. Recently been taken on trips of a few hundred miles apiece. Have been given many pictures and it looks to be in excellent shape. He is asking 9,900. That seems a little steep when compared with the others I've looked at, but I'm clearly out of my element. Thanks again.

If you have never driven a Toyota Motorhome, but sure to test drive it

at highway speeds to make sure you are comfortable with it. I think

your seller is claiming 18mpg and that it cruises great at 65mph and

can go faster, I really doubt both claims. Even the V6 3.0L one have

a hard time cruising at 65mph. It will probably be more like 15mpg

and cruises between 55 and 60mph. Again, be sure to take it for a

highway test drive.

Good Luck,

Dennis B.

If you have never driven a Toyota Motorhome, but sure to test drive it

at highway speeds to make sure you are comfortable with it. I think

your seller is claiming 18mpg and that it cruises great at 65mph and

can go faster, I really doubt both claims. Even the V6 3.0L one have

a hard time cruising at 65mph. It will probably be more like 15mpg

and cruises between 55 and 60mph. Again, be sure to take it for a

highway test drive.

Good Luck,

Dennis B

The fuel economy all ways goes up when it's time to sell. You run 65 + it's more like 13MPG < Horizons are nice rigs very solid and nice interiors.

The fuel economy all ways goes up when it's time to sell. You run 65 + it's more like 13MPG < Horizons are nice rigs very solid and nice interiors.

The ones I have seen are very spacious but usually have horrible leaking issues on the nose cone. I would hold out for full fiberglass sunrader personally if the thing is not cherry and sans leaking stains. Check the ceiling around the nose cone carefully.

The general rule of thumb table above by year and fiberglass is OK for retail from a dealership prices; but personally I think you should make your offer based on the sellers gas mileage claim. The higher the gas mileage is by point over 15 the lower your offer should be by $1000 off of the retail scale.

So... 1988 = $8000 - $3000 (desperation factor discount) = $5000.00 initial offer price.

thumbup.gif

I had an 87 it was full fiberglass with a single window in the front it was as leak proof as any Sunrader. I sold mine for $6500 and it was about as good as it gets with lots of upgrades and it had only 38K on it with a built in generator . At that kind of price he is up into the price range of 90-91 V6 Toyota motor homes they are great little MH's but an 88 is now 24 years old! I would question as to why he sealed a full fiberglass roof assuming it is, mine was. Location does make a difference but not that much.