what's better, a 1984 Huntsman, or a 1983 Keystone? ?

yota_mkii

hey there, I'm super glad that this forum exists! I'm going to be purchasing a Toyota motor home (i had an 84 tercel 4x4 once upon a time - and it was my favorite car ever). So I have an option for the above two rigs... the Keystone is $3500 with 6 new tires, broken odometer & new clutch. the Huntsman is $2800, looks good and has new batteries, water pump & alternator. I'm wondering if one of these is a better model, or how i should make the decision. Right now i'm favoring the Huntsman due to the better price and cleaner look (the Keystone has a 'rebuilt front end' which worries me). But those issues aside for the moment, is one of these models superior to the other?

thanks ! and happy toyota-ing , !!

Look at them again and see if one of them has a 6 lug axle in the back. If neither of them does keep shopping. 5 lug recalled years ago. Can be dangerous. I they both do have 6 lugs the Huntsman is more well known and there were changes made in 84 toyota chassis which would make it a more prefered coach.

Linda S

hey there, I'm super glad that this forum exists! I'm going to be purchasing a Toyota motor home (i had an 84 tercel 4x4 once upon a time - and it was my favorite car ever). So I have an option for the above two rigs... the Keystone is $3500 with 6 new tires, broken odometer & new clutch. the Huntsman is $2800, looks good and has new batteries, water pump & alternator. I'm wondering if one of these is a better model, or how i should make the decision. Right now i'm favoring the Huntsman due to the better price and cleaner look (the Keystone has a 'rebuilt front end' which worries me). But those issues aside for the moment, is one of these models superior to the other?

I found a Keystone and a Huntsman like you descrpbe on Tampa craigslist. I can't be sure but neither of them look like a full float axle. Check them out and if not keep looking

LS

post-5947-0-05744000-1325639711_thumb.jppost-5947-0-84536600-1325639749_thumb.jppost-5947-0-55055100-1325639730_thumb.jp you are right, i had the sellers check and they are both 5 bolt axles. i found another one that is in Horrible shape, but has a 6 lug axle and is selling for about 2500.

what a dilemma! i've attached a pic of the huntsman, which is in great shape, but has the old axle - price 2800

and a pick of the ugly 1983, which looks like a mold factory, but has the 6-bolt 1 ton axle.. right now i'm leaning towards the ugly one, (and it appears to be leaning towards the left) considering the safety ramifications of the axle issue. is it really that big of a problem - perhaps i should check the length of the nice ones, maybe they're light enough not to worry? or just not overload it? considering its been around this long... but still... i have to move right away on this as i'm scheduled to depart on Saturday this week.

also any advice on the way that thing appears to be leaning (the ugly one) ... do you think its a rocker arm or something? how does that repair compare to the axle issue

m

I found a Keystone and a Huntsman like you descrpbe on Tampa craigslist. I can't be sure but neither of them look like a full float axle. Check them out and if not keep looking

LS

How far are you departing? I'd be be tempted to try and get the price of the Huntsman lowered because of the axle issue and get the axle changed at an early date. If you're going to be on the move, it's going to be awfully hard to rehab the inside of the fugly one while you're living in it. Where are you located? Maybe we can help you track down a axle at a good price.

This place near you has the axle but your going to need the wheels to. Call them and see if they have the wheels that go with this axle. Of course you need to be able to do the work to or the price goes through the roof.

http://www.rigsbysautosalvage.com/

Or you could just be patient and wait until the right rig comes up. In Florida there are usually tons of toyota motorhomes that come up for sale. If I was you I wold wait to find one that didn't need so much

Linda S

post-5947-0-05744000-1325639711_thumb.jppost-5947-0-84536600-1325639749_thumb.jppost-5947-0-55055100-1325639730_thumb.jp you are right, i had the sellers check and they are both 5 bolt axles. i found another one that is in Horrible shape, but has a 6 lug axle and is selling for about 2500.

what a dilemma! i've attached a pic of the huntsman, which is in great shape, but has the old axle - price 2800

and a pick of the ugly 1983, which looks like a mold factory, but has the 6-bolt 1 ton axle.. right now i'm leaning towards the ugly one, (and it appears to be leaning towards the left) considering the safety ramifications of the axle issue. is it really that big of a problem - perhaps i should check the length of the nice ones, maybe they're light enough not to worry? or just not overload it? considering its been around this long... but still... i have to move right away on this as i'm scheduled to depart on Saturday this week.

also any advice on the way that thing appears to be leaning (the ugly one) ... do you think its a rocker arm or something? how does that repair compare to the axle issue

m

REMBER mold like that in buildings is a very serous health hazerd. And bad 5 lug axles can also shorten your life .too bad mold city should donate its axle to the Beuty Queen and make one good one and the rest of the moldy one go too the big resting place.

well I'm in Palm Harbor... you know i would attempt the axel change on my own if i was back at my dad's garage, but all i've got here is a banjo and a laptop, which i'm not sure would be that helpful. seriously have any of you spent any time driving a 5 lug axle? any personal experience with one breaking, or any stories you know of? i did some searching and didn't actually turn up any horror stories, but i admit i could have searched more thoroughly. once again, if i load it lightly, perhaps it would be ok? i'm going to see the ugly one tomorrow (and to smell it, .. god), i know a lot about mold having lived with black mold once, and yeah i would avoid that.

also regarding that lean to the left - what do you think is going on there?

re: derek, good call; the other option might be to get the price on ol' ugly lowered because of its cosmetic deficiencies, a lot depends on when i see it tomorrow, - i'm most worried about what might be wrong with the front wheel or suspension

I have a 5 lug 1978 minimax for sale in wa sh state it was given to us by my friend. HE never know about the axle problm and nether did i until i stumbled on this site. it has no water heater no grey tank only stove small small frig. we only went short 50 to 80 miles local no trouble but you just never know. careful how we loaded it if you dont have much money know that one too. i had too retire because the shop closed up after 28 years i got some money and just bought a 1987 Dolphin full 6 lug front and rear. but i never felt Good driving the 5 lug i may junk out it i dont want it on my Conchence the danger. the little Chinock i think are ok. it is on the sale site but that price is not firm at all other half idie . Lean can be bad spring . bad wood look under it broke springs etc etc.

How far to your Dad's garage?

FWIW, the official recall papers say the the axles failed after the bearings failed. The failed bearings allowed the axle to flex. So at the very least, I'd suggest getting the bearings inspected (and maybe replaced) and the axles carefully inspected (and maybe replaced) before driving it far on the original axle.

Garage is about 1500 miles north - won't be back there until spring. i've put off purchasing the ugly one until tomorrow, so i can look at the Keystone. the Huntsman at 2800 was sold this morning, unforunately as i was planning to drive and see it this afternoon. fast market for these things! i'm encouraged to hear about 250,000 miles on a 5 lug wih no problems... any similar stories, or more importantly, a story of one breaking? also good advice on getting the bearings cleaned up - will consider that if i get the 5 lug.

still wondering about that lean, but i guess i'll see when i drive it tomorrow, !

my 1978 minimax has 94000 org miles. i had a 4 lugToyota Corona station wagen 20r 3 kids loaded hard ran it hard i replaced the rear berings three times in 15 years and 240,ooo miles.

hey there toyotamotorhome folks! i just thought i'd send an update, I ended up purchasing the ugly one... 1983 Minnie Cruiser, and I'm glad i did. It was being sold by a mechanic, - looking under the hood there are all new high voltage wires, a new distributor cap, and everything is in good shape. runs great, new clutch, new master cylinder (the keystone i checked out had nice wallpaper, but the brakes were so soft that you had to press right to the floor, and it was still iffy). new hydraulics for the clutch as well (though i wasn't even aware that clutches had hydraulics - however there seems to be a fluid resevoir. THE BEST PART IS, IT HAS THE 6 LUG AXLE, and so i can safely and without a troubled conscience drive around overloaded, haha, not that that is the plan. on the downside, one of the mechanic's mechanics had been living in it, - fortunately the neighbour here in FL loaned us a carpet cleaner, and i have extracted a horrible amount of black grit and grime from the low-pile carpet. its looking much better now. anyways, having finished this stage, i have a ton of new questions, but i think i'll post this in a fresh thread, given the nature of the questions,

ciao for now,

the happy new owner of a toyoterhome,

hey there toyotamotorhome folks! i just thought i'd send an update, I ended up purchasing the ugly one... 1983 Minnie Cruiser, and I'm glad i did. It was being sold by a mechanic, - looking under the hood there are all new high voltage wires, a new distributor cap, and everything is in good shape. runs great, new clutch, new master cylinder (the keystone i checked out had nice wallpaper, but the brakes were so soft that you had to press right to the floor, and it was still iffy). new hydraulics for the clutch as well (though i wasn't even aware that clutches had hydraulics - however there seems to be a fluid resevoir. THE BEST PART IS, IT HAS THE 6 LUG AXLE, and so i can safely and without a troubled conscience drive around overloaded, haha, not that that is the plan. on the downside, one of the mechanic's mechanics had been living in it, - fortunately the neighbour here in FL loaned us a carpet cleaner, and i have extracted a horrible amount of black grit and grime from the low-pile carpet. its looking much better now. anyways, having finished this stage, i have a ton of new questions, but i think i'll post this in a fresh thread, given the nature of the questions,

ciao for now,

the happy new owner of a toyoterhome,

So the Ugly Duckling will turn out to be a Beautiful Swan?

;)

Now the real fun begins. Congratulations!