Belt?

kdr2171

Hello we just inherited our first toyota dolphin motorhome and it seems that when I turn the lights on at night and drive they blink. I noticed that there are 2 pulley's next to the drivetrain that do not have a belt could this be the issue? I don't lose engine power but I'm afraid my lights will stop working while driving. Thank you for the help

Welcome to the Toyhouse Forums. :ThumbUp:

Headlights?? tail lights??

You need to purchase an inexpensive digital voltmeter, you'll be using this a lot.

Pulleys could be anything, what year, 4 or 6 cyl, air conditioner, smog pump, alternator, water pump.

A photo would help also. if you load photos, you may want to compress them so they are no larger than 50 - 100 k.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

It would be good to know what the pulleys are for but I don't think they could be related to your light problem. I would suspect a bad connection somethere in the system. I agree with waiter that you should buy a decent multimeter and learn hou to use it. I would also make up some test wires with aligator clips on each end for doing some test when you don't have a helper to hold onto wires.

I made two sets of test wires, one set about 15 ft long and a shorter set about 5 ft long. While checking any of the electrical systems on these older RV;s is is good to know that you are testing with a good ground. I ground straight to the negative teminal on the barrery to avoid wasted time.

Loose connection on the battery also faulty headlight switch can cause this.

If it does it sitting in the drive, wiggle the headlight switch, also wiggle wires around the battery connections.

Got a bad connection somewhere.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Its possible - but there are several other factors that need to be considered. You need to take a voltage reading on the battery with the truck running at fast idle to see whats going on.

You said in a earlier post that you might be missing a belt, Are you missing the Alternator belt?

John M

This may sound completely ignorant, but does the 1986 have two belts one for the drivetrain and a separate on for the alternator?

Its possible - but there are several other factors that need to be considered. You need to take a voltage reading on the battery with the truck running at fast idle to see whats going on.

You said in a earlier post that you might be missing a belt, Are you missing the Alternator belt?

John M

I'm not sure what you mean by "drivetrain" ?? Are you talking about the crankshaft?

I have an 88. Mine has three belts, one for the Alternator, one for the smog pump, and one for the Air conditioner. ( I don't remember exactly what each belt drives, but I know I have three, and one of them is specifically for the Air conditioner compressor)

Look at the engine and see if all the accessories have belts on them.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I have 3 belts as well 1 for the crankshaft 1 for the alternator and 1 for the air conditioner. It looks like the only 1 that's missing is the air conditioner. I will test the voltage on the battery tonight

okay i tested the voltage when the engine was off and it was @ 12 and when it was running it was @14.

I also noticed that when the lights blink it is accompanied with a click click sound. It will go click click then pause and do it again even with the lights off. There is this little solenoid looking thing attached to the body right next to the master cylinder and the brake fluid with a pos and neg cable coming out of it and i think this is where the noise is coming from. Would you know what that is? Man i never sounded so ignorant about cars in my life. Sorry for all the dumb questions and issues.

I have 3 belts as well 1 for the crankshaft 1 for the alternator and 1 for the air conditioner. It looks like the only 1 that's missing is the air conditioner. I will test the voltage on the battery tonight

Voltages seems about right,

The solenoid your describing sounds like the Battery Isolator or the coach circuit breaker.

Have you check the coach battery to see if it OK? If its dead or is shorted, that could cause the circuit breaker to trip, reset, trip, reset, etc etc

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

where is the coach battery located?

Voltages seems about right,

The solenoid your describing sounds like the Battery Isolator or the coach circuit breaker.

Have you check the coach battery to see if it OK? If its dead or is shorted, that could cause the circuit breaker to trip, reset, trip, reset, etc etc

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

okay i found the battery and it is dead .4. if i replace this battery that should solve the trip reset issue which in turn would cause the lights to blink when it is tripping and resetting. Right? Thank you so much for the help! by the way were you a pilot, its the picture.

Keith

where is the coach battery located?

Maybe this will solve your problem - You need to get a "Marine deep cycle battery" - Walmart has them for about $70. The coach battery runs the coach interior lights, furnace, etc.

If you want to check and see if this will solve the problem, simply disconnect the coach battery cables (make sure they don't short against each other or anything else.) then start the truck and see if the circuit breaker still does its clicking thing.

Below is a simple electrical flow diagram of the 110 volt and 12 volt circuits. Yours should be similar. Read through the forums and it'll give you an idea of what the different items do. i.e. Isolator, Converter.

post-4544-0-36884900-1321617943_thumb.jp

You can see how the isolator separates the truck battery from the coach battery (left side in drawing). The Isolator energizes when the truck is running. This connects the coach battery to the truck battery when the truck is running.

Yes, I am a pilot. Check out my web site at www.iflyez.com

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hey Waiter,

Thanks again for all the help. I think I isolated the click reset noise. It is coming from inside the coach battery well. There is a small black box with two cables coming out of it that connect to the battery itself. The issue is what is that black box called?

I disconnected the battery and the noise went away. Got a new battery hooked it up and the noise from that black box is back. I am confused at what it could be.

Keith

does the positive lead off the rv battery go right to the black thing and it is in the rv batt box as far as i know and my dolphin diagram and my dophin has a 12volt auto reseating curcuit breaker inside the top right corner if that is snaping there can be a problem short or overload a short can and will drane a battery how old is the starting battery you should have somonecheck that and the charging output dimming lights when turning on more load is usally a sighn of a problem i have had a car do that the battery was bad shorted in two cells

it must be the 12v resetting breaker you describe it is in the exact same spot. the battery in the coach is new and the starting battery was there when i got the rv, so age is anybody's guess. will getting a new battery for the truck help?

does the positive lead off the rv battery go right to the black thing and it is in the rv batt box as far as i know and my dolphin diagram and my dophin has a 12volt auto reseating curcuit breaker inside the top right corner if that is snaping there can be a problem short or overload a short can and will drane a battery how old is the starting battery you should have somonecheck that and the charging output dimming lights when turning on more load is usally a sighn of a problem i have had a car do that the battery was bad shorted in two cells

If the Coach battery breaker is tripping and reseting, there is something wrong with the coach battery circuit.

ALSO - If the coach breaker clicking also coincides with the headlights dimming, this is a sign of a problem.

You said the problem (clicking) goes away when the coach battery is disconnected AND the truck is running.

with the truck running and the coach battery disconnected, do the interior coach lights work?

If so, this tells me that the Isolator is functioning properly and supplying 12 volts to the coach when the truck is running.

ALSO - This also tells me that there is something wrong with the connections to the coach battery, i.e. backwards, -wrong connections, etc.

JOhn Mc

Hi Jon,

I replaced every wire to and from the coach battery, to the isolator and to the truck battery, still clicking. I believe the isolator is bad. now the issue is where do i get one? Any ideas?

If the Coach battery breaker is tripping and reseting, there is something wrong with the coach battery circuit.

ALSO - If the coach breaker clicking also coincides with the headlights dimming, this is a sign of a problem.

You said the problem (clicking) goes away when the coach battery is disconnected AND the truck is running.

with the truck running and the coach battery disconnected, do the interior coach lights work?

If so, this tells me that the Isolator is functioning properly and supplying 12 volts to the coach when the truck is running.

ALSO - This also tells me that there is something wrong with the connections to the coach battery, i.e. backwards, -wrong connections, etc.

JOhn Mc

Well, you got me lost, On my 88 Dolphin, replacing the coach battery wiring would be a very substantial job. I don't understand why you would do that?? what size wire did you use, did you put on the connectors, did you route the wire through the converter did you route the wire through the other circuit breakers and fuses. Did you add the fuse link on the truck battery, etc etc etc etc

To back up in the troubleshooting procedure;

With the truck running, and the coach battery disconnected;

Is the clicking sound stopped and the headlights OK (not dimming)

Do the coach interior lights work?

ALSO -- Where is your coach battery located at?? (On mine the coach battery is just behind the rear wheel)

JOhn

The little box I think you are talking about is a auto reset breaker if you have no voltage at you coach battery it probably is junk (shorted) and when voltage is applied it tries to charge then the amperage is exceeded it turns off cools and resets when it does this the lights will dim because there is at least a 35 amp draw on the system. This is not to say there is not a short else where but the first place to start is a battery recharge (if it will) and a load test to see if it's any good.

I'm thinking he's got a short somewhere at the battery. If he has a new coach battery, it shouldn't be causing the high current (as in trying to charge the battery). Also, if his lights are dimming, then thats another symptom that there is a high current flow.

From what he said so far, it sounds like the coach battery is connected wrong. I'm basing that on the fact that he said everything seemed to be OK with the battery disconnected, but when he connected the new battery, the same problem. (clicking and lights dimming).

Also - If his coach lights are working when he has the coach battery disconnected and the truck is running, that verifies the Isolator is working and suppluing voltage back to the coach.

So where I'm at, I was attempting to get him to re-verify the coach battery symptoms when connected and disconnected. Also = A lot of these Toys have several wires connected to the battery terminals. i.e. two wires on the plus, and three wires on the minus.

Its possible that these could be mixed up!! All this just guessing until we hear from him again.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

i have two white wires to ground on the rv batt .on the postive side a wire to the breaker and two wires to two line fuses .

Are the inline fuses good? Surely they would be blown if you were drawing that much current. If one is blown you know that is where your problem is. You can find out which one is coming from the isolator by disconnecting both and turning the engine on then check both and find out which one has power the other one will be the coach power wire ie. the one that feeds the light etc. If your battery is not marked + - (just about all are) the + post is all ways the bigger one if they are backwards it will act as a short. What type of isolator do you have? Is it a small can with 2 big terminals or a block with cooling fins on it? An other thought it is possible to charge a battery backwards if they are pretty dead. If you have a volt meter place the red lead on the + post and the other on the - post if your meter is digital there will be a - sign on the display if it's backwards.

• 4 months later...

sorry its been a while, i put the dolphin under a tarp waiting for warmer weather to play with it again. The isolator does look like a can with a positve and neg on either side of it.

Are the inline fuses good? Surely they would be blown if you were drawing that much current. If one is blown you know that is where your problem is. You can find out which one is coming from the isolator by disconnecting both and turning the engine on then check both and find out which one has power the other one will be the coach power wire ie. the one that feeds the light etc. If your battery is not marked + - (just about all are) the + post is all ways the bigger one if they are backwards it will act as a short. What type of isolator do you have? Is it a small can with 2 big terminals or a block with cooling fins on it? An other thought it is possible to charge a battery backwards if they are pretty dead. If you have a volt meter place the red lead on the + post and the other on the - post if your meter is digital there will be a - sign on the display if it's backwards.

sorry its been a while, i put the dolphin under a tarp waiting for warmer weather to play with it again. The isolator does look like a can with a positve and neg on either side of it.

OK they are a simple as it gets it is nothing more then a relay that connects both batteries together when you turn the key on. No + or - just +one post goes to your truck battery through a breaker the other goes to the coach battery also through a breaker (or at least it should have a breaker) Both posts should have voltage even with the key off one side the truck battery the other the coach battery.

Big wire from alternator and engine battery to one side. Other side is big wire to coach battery.