Roof sealing

Ron 'n Sue

I worry about that roof on our '92 Winnebago Warrior. We've had it for 1-1/2 years. Unfortunately, it has to sit outdoors in our driveway all winter. The roof has never leaked, but how do we check for leaks without paying some dealer mega bucks?

And, WHAT is the best stuff to buy to do it ourselves? Right now it's got some grey gunk built up on the seams and it's hard.

Any advice, anyone?

Suzanne & Ron

Toy-Rig

Advise that you get a tube of Dicor self-leveling sealant and inspect all seams. Apply wherever the seam looks like it might have a break or opening. Clean the surface well before applying sealant to the opening. Don't forget to check the roof vents and seal any suspicious-looking seams around the perimeter. Roof checking and sealing is a semi-annual affair for me. Good luck!

Would second that the Dicor sealer is very good stuff i use it on any seems vents there are two grades one recomended for flat surfaces and a grade for vertical surfaces but i have used the horzontal flat surface grade on vertical surfaces ok very good stuff stays flexable

Ideally, you shouldn't need roof sealant. HOWEVER - :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

The side trim covers the roof joint, and this is one of the sources of leaks.The seal dries out, and the Toyhouse flexing then breaks the dried out seal, and water leaks in. If this seal is replaced every ten-15 years, it shouldn't leak there. (I don't know of anyone who has done this!)

I bought a couple tubes of sealant, and put a bead of sealant all around the top of the roof edge seal. This stiff is thick, but flows (self levels) like honey. I used a small paint brush with the bristles cut back to about an inch to paint the sealent on and get it down into the cracks.

The other source of leaks is the roof vents / Air conditioner

On mine, the roof vents had a plastic frame, the frame cracked and water would seep in through the crack. (The new vents I installed all had metal frames, these cost about $35 each)

The Roof vent for my Frig was missing when I bought the Toyhouse (Newer ones use a side vent), and there was water damage around the frig vent. A new Frig vent cover is around $30.

I also found the Roof metal had a small crack and water would seep in here.

Check out these links:

Roof Vent leak

Replacing Roof Vents

Replace Black Tank vent

Roof Leak in Metal roof

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi Ron and Sue

I live in British Columbia too, our cool, damp and wet winters are not the best climate for leaving our old Toys sitting outside without some protection, and any chance you could erect one of those pole canopy’s? Picture below, I used one for a couple of years and it really did help in stopping water from pooling on the roof, the only disadvantage with the canopy is that you can’t let snow build up on it, you do have to get out there with a broom and knock the snow off once in a while.

As for sealant I use “Pro Flex RV” I get it from our local RV dealer, as the others have stated there are two kinds of sealant, one for roofs and the other for windows and walls, we have had only one roof leak since we have owned ours and that was around the plumbing vent pipe, so was an easy fix, I wont mention the cab-over front windows!!!! but I do know what you mean with that hard grey sealant on our Winnies, it does have lots of cracks in it, and does look like a potential leak area.

post-1246-0-43525300-1321503896_thumb.jp

Last fall I built this carport for ours, now I don't have to knock snow off the roof!!! and no snow down my neck!!!

post-1246-0-31638000-1321504236_thumb.jp

Mike

C-10 for horizontal joints. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/caulks-sealants/49487.htm and numerous other sites. Any RV dealer that pretends to support winniebagos will have it

I worry about that roof on our '92 Winnebago Warrior. We've had it for 1-1/2 years. Unfortunately, it has to sit outdoors in our driveway all winter. The roof has never leaked, but how do we check for leaks without paying some dealer mega bucks?

And, WHAT is the best stuff to buy to do it ourselves? Right now it's got some grey gunk built up on the seams and it's hard.

Any advice, anyone?

Suzanne & Ron

Toy-Rig

• 5 months later...

Hi there, Campergal here. We really love your camper carport. Since we just bought our new/old gal where could we find that nifty little rv tent? We're sinking all our money into fixing the unit for our honeymoon in July but would like something to cover our toy home when we are working on it. Also we're up here in the northwest with incessant rain. Thanks for your time.

Hi Ron and Sue

I live in British Columbia too, our cool, damp and wet winters are not the best climate for leaving our old Toys sitting outside without some protection, and any chance you could erect one of those pole canopy's? Picture below, I used one for a couple of years and it really did help in stopping water from pooling on the roof, the only disadvantage with the canopy is that you can't let snow build up on it, you do have to get out there with a broom and knock the snow off once in a while.

As for sealant I use "Pro Flex RV" I get it from our local RV dealer, as the others have stated there are two kinds of sealant, one for roofs and the other for windows and walls, we have had only one roof leak since we have owned ours and that was around the plumbing vent pipe, so was an easy fix, I wont mention the cab-over front windows!!!! but I do know what you mean with that hard grey sealant on our Winnies, it does have lots of cracks in it, and does look like a potential leak area.

post-1246-0-43525300-1321503896_thumb.jp

Last fall I built this carport for ours, now I don't have to knock snow off the roof!!! and no snow down my neck!!!

post-1246-0-31638000-1321504236_thumb.jp

Mike