Toyin Vancouver Island 2012

Chattycat52

You lucky left coast people we just had 17" of snow! I would love to come but it's 3,000 miles away!

We are certainly 'up for it' ! Now to get one organized. We went to Living Forest last summer. Very nice group sites there. June is usually good and 3 days is a good length of time.

What we need is some way to contact other toy owners on the island. We have seen many of them toddling around but haven't met many.

Ron and Sue - "Toy-Rig"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope you can join the other toy owners on Vancouver Island this coming summer. (Getting a passport is not hard, and you'll have it then for other international travel as well. :-)

We had a great time last summer at a lovely campground called Living Forest just south of Nanaimo. They are well set up to handle a group of several ... at least a dozen or so ... motorhomes and have a super location and great facilitijes. Most important, they have a really positive attitude and will bend over backwards to make it a good experience for all. There are also lots of other great campsites on Vancouver Island. (We Islanders call it "Paradise" and for good reason!)

Aside from camping on the Island, we're seriously thinking about a trip to the Olympia peninsula and would be happy to get any recommendations for good RV sites there if you care to pass them along.

Cheers to all our old friends from last year's rally and looking forward to meeting some more Toy owners this summer.

Wayne & Irene

GET YOUR PASSPORT! They're easy to get in the U.S.A. and way cheaper than in Canada. Also they don't need to be renewed as often. It's a bargain you won't regret!

Sue & Ron

Hope you can join the other toy owners on Vancouver Island this coming summer. (Getting a passport is not hard, and you'll have it then for other international travel as well. :-)

We had a great time last summer at a lovely campground called Living Forest just south of Nanaimo. They are well set up to handle a group of several ... at least a dozen or so ... motorhomes and have a super location and great facilitijes. Most important, they have a really positive attitude and will bend over backwards to make it a good experience for all. There are also lots of other great campsites on Vancouver Island. (We Islanders call it "Paradise" and for good reason!)

Aside from camping on the Island, we're seriously thinking about a trip to the Olympia peninsula and would be happy to get any recommendations for good RV sites there if you care to pass them along.

Cheers to all our old friends from last year's rally and looking forward to meeting some more Toy owners this summer.

Wayne & Irene

GET YOUR PASSPORT! They're easy to get in the U.S.A. and way cheaper than in Canada. Also they don't need to be renewed as often. It's a bargain you won't regret!

Sue & Ron

We want to attend this rally this year! We just retired and we're ready. Anybody have a date yet? :)

Gail and Jon Frasier

Boise, Idaho

'93 Seabreeze "Toto"

• 4 weeks later...

Let's Get the Planning Started!

My wife and I organized last summer's Vancouver Island Toy-In. It's not a lot of trouble, so I'm volunteering to be the focal point for another one this summer if there is enough interest out there. We need to settle on a date that works for the most people possible and also on a location. Last year we used the Living Forest RV park just south of Nanaimo. It certainly is a great location for this type of event, but there are also lots of other beautiful RV parks on Vancouver Island as well. It might be helpful if people decided that they would like to be close to Victoria, perhaps .... or maybe you would prefer something nearer Nanaimo ... or even the Comox valley/Campbell River area. Have a look online and check out some of the attractions in these and other areas and post a message here with your thoughts. There is one particularly nice RV park in Parksville that is right on the ocean. It is adjacent to a large public park where they hold the international sand sculpting competition every year. The scrulptures are absolutely amazing, but the RV park ... called Park Sands (Parksville) is a little on the pricey side. We've stayed there a few times and it's amazing to be able to walk out into the ocean. If the tide is out, there is a bald eagle nesting area that you can walk out to observe. The eagles let us get unbelievably close. It's an experience of a lifetime.

So, if there is some interest out there I invite you to do some googling on Vancouver Island Rv parks ... give some indication of dates that might work for you ... and post your thoughts on this board. I'd be happy to make a group booking and look after the admin details. Last year we had a few social events: a meet n greet, a potluck dinner and a couple of impromptu get togethers. That also left time for individuals to take off and check out some events they found interesting.

I'll be checking this board out. I don't belong to the Yahoo group, but I would be grateful if someone who does would post this notice on that board as well.

Best to all, Wayne & Irene

Wayne and Irene: Thanks so much for offering to organize BC ToyMH get together. You were great host and hostess last year. I looked at the Park Sands RV Park and the past yrs' sand sculptures. Wow. The resort is a little pricey during the middle of the summer, but may be worth it to be in that location and to participate in the festival. If we decide to meet during the fesitval time, I would favor the middle week of July, if we can reservations. An alternative date for the same place, would be the second week of September. The rates drop a bit Sept 2 and the weather will still be lovely. My question is whether there is a group meeting place. I also looked at Campbell River. A couple of the Campbell River RV Parks had excellent reviews. A friend of mine sailed around Vancouver Island last summer and raved about Ladysmith where they docked for some days. I do not know if there is anything there. So here's my bottom line: since you picked a wonderful site last year, I think that you should make a recommendations about what you think is best for this year and invite the crowd. My overall preference for dates is the second week of September or middle of July. I hope others chime in. As soon as the site is selected and there are some details, I would be glad to post it on the Yahoo site(s).

Tacoma Sue with a "new" Sunrader Adventure

Hi Sue

Great to hear from you and congratulations on your "new" RV. Thanks for your vote of confidence. To answer your question about the Park Sands. There is no group site as such, but the individual sites are quite nice and the location is absolutely beautiful, right on the ocean. Yes, it is a bit pricey but for something special it might be worth it, especially during the Sandsculpture competition time. You asked about Ladysmith. It's a pretty little town. A few years ago they refurbished the downtown area in mid 1800's style and it's very nicely done. It was voted on of the 10 prettiest small towns in Canada. Ladysmith is quite close to the Living Forest campground we used last summer. I'm not aware of any nice RV parks closer to Ladysmith, but I'll have a look just to be sure. I mentioned Victoria area simply because it's close to Butchard Gardens and many other interesting attractions that people might enjoy.

If I picked a site based upon the virtues of the park itself, it would be hard to beat the Living Forest. The sites are large, nicely treed, on the ocean, close to Nanaimo for everything you might need and for lots of interesting things to see and do as well. The rates at Living Forest are also fairly reasonable by Island standards and the facilities and service are second to none. Having said that, though, if there's lots of interest in the Park Sands for the reasons mentioned above, or in being closer to Victoria, there are some other nice parks to consider. My bottom line is that I would like to choose a place that would suit the greatest number of people ... assuming there is some significant level of interest. If only a few would like to come, I'd probably vote for the Living Forest ...

All you potential Vancouver Island campers: Let's hear your thoughts on date and location. It's fun to think about some nice warm weather and camping at a beautiful RV park ... especially if you look out the window and see cold, nasty weather now. Cheers to all, Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wayne! Thanks for volunteering to organize this! The Living Forest campground looks amazing to me, and we're okay with any dates as long as we know well ahead of time. I'll ask Linda to post what dates work for her.

Gail

'93 Seabreeze

Hi Wayne and Irene

My vote goes to Living Forest. I'm not that impressed with Park Sands. It's always crowded and may not have enough sites for our group, in addition to being too expensive. Let us know what dates you decide.

Sue (& Ron)

Toy-Rig

OK I told Gail I was just going to leave it up to you but if I drive that far I would rather be in paradise than close to a town. I vote for the Living Forest and my dates are open. Just let me know when and I will be there

Linda S

Gotta get that passport. OH and I have a Canadian friend who wants to come too. I'll give him the info as soon as I get it

Hi Wayne! Thanks for volunteering to organize this! The Living Forest campground looks amazing to me, and we're okay with any dates as long as we know well ahead of time. I'll ask Linda to post what dates work for her.

Gail

'93 Seabreeze

Actually, I kind of like the dates that you used last year; toward the end of June. If it's in the middle of July, I'll have to wrestle with my husband on whether he takes his '41 Chevy to a car show or we go to Vancouver Island. ;-) Any opinions on that?

Gail

Living Forest Gets the Nod

OK, I think we have enough input to settle on the venue. Living Forest is an excellent choice and, as I did last year, I'll book and assign sites in a good location to everybody who wants to attend. Last year we gathered around a nice covered patio area that we used for get togethers. That worked well, so I'll plan to do the same this time.

The next big thing to decide upon is the date. Before choosing a date I'd really like to get a few more inputs from potential attendees. June, July and August are all nice weather months. I suggest we avoid the July 1/ July 4 time frame since the border and ferry services will be clogged at those time.

Let's hear from everybody ... it's not too early to make some plans. Cheers to all, Wayne & Irene

I posted this event on the Yahoo Toyota forum and I told them to log on to this website. Some folks have already said they'd like to come, but they just said that on the Yahoo forum and not here. Hopefully, they'll show up here to give their opinions on dates.

Gail

Thank you for organizing this trip! We are in Northern California and would love to attend if the dates work out. Our July is pretty well booked but other than that, we are pretty open.

Is there a month that might promise (ha ha) better weather??

Kathy

1993 Itasca Spirit

The weather on Vancouver island is generally very nice from mid April to mid October. Anytime in June, July or August should be fine. Usually we get very little rain in those months. In fact, we almost always have watering restrictions for the summer months because there is so little rain then. Of course, it's the luck of the draw for whatever time period we choose, but generally those three months have really good weather with temps in the high 70's to low/mid 80s ... low humidity. As an added bonus, we have very few mosquitoes especially on the southern half of the island.

Vancouver Island Toy In -- Location and Dates

Hello to All

Well, it looks like we have a fair amount of interest in a get together this summer on beautiful Vancouver Island. Last year we met at the Living Forest campground just south of Nanaimo. A good time was had by all and it seems those who know this park, and those who have only checked out its website, are agreeable to meeting there againl this year. I encourage everyone to Google the Living Forest RV park and get an idea of how nice it really is.

They have a group area but we chose not to use it last year and that was a good decision. The group sites are very cramped and they do not all have TV hookups. Instead, we chose sites around the other covered patio area and used the patio for our Meet and Greet and Pot Luck get togethers. This ensures a good time even if it should happen to be raining for those events ... heaven forbid!

I will plan to make some bookings at the campground towards the end of May. I hope that those who would like to attend will be able to commit by that time and we'll sort out which sites we want and for what days. Our Meet and Greet (BBQ) and Pot Luck functions were quite enjoyable last year, so I recommend we do them again. If anyone has some other ideas for get togethers, let's also put them forward. I know everyone was also very interested in checking out each others' campers last year, and I'm sure we'll do some of that again. It's quite amazing to see some of the modifications that people have done to their rigs and get some ideas for our own Toys.

There's an absolutely wonderful English style pub close to the Living Forest ... it's called the Crow and Gate and is located in nearby Cedar. If we can swing enough transport it might be fun to go there for a dinner or lunch. There's a stream that runs through the grounds where you can see lots of ducks, geese and the pair of resident black swans. In good weather you can have your food and drink outside in the garden area which is beautifully landscaped. The city of Nanaimo is also close by with lots of interesting things going on all summer and all the shopping you could ever need. The Living Forest park is close to major roads but far enough away so that you dont hear any noise. You can, however, easily walk to a small mall with a good grocery store and some other stores for anything you might need.

Last year we also had some people take a trip to Victoria to visit Butchart Gardens. It's about a 2 hour drive from Living Forest but it's a world class display for any serious gardeners in the group. (It's not cheap though ...:-(

So, start thinking about this get together and be prepared to make a committment by late May.

Tacoma Sue has volunteered to post this info on the Yahoo Toy site and don't be shy about spreading the word to any other Toy owners in your respective areas.

Looking forward to renewing some old acquaintances from last year and meeting some new Toy owners as well. Cheers to all, Wayne & Irene

Wayne, this sounds like a blast! I'm kind of hoping we can narrow our dates down well before May. By then, we usually have our summer all mapped out. If we don't make campground reservations in Idaho well before then, we won't get what we want, and if we pay for camping reservations here at home, we won't want to sacrifice $$$ if the dates conflict. Anyone agree? I'm fine with August too, as the last folks said they preferred. :) Gail

OOPS ... I left out the "Date" part ...:Poster_oops:

The date for this Toy In will be the weekend of June 22 - 25. That seemed to work for many of the folks who did express a preference for dates. Cheers, Wayne

Wayne, there's someone on the Yahoo forum that would like contact info on you so they can ask questions. Are you willing to send me your email or phone # that I might forward to them? I tried to personal message you, but it wouldn't open. Thanks, Gail

Hello all Toyin for Vancouver Island sounds great. Count us in for Living Forest near Nanaimo June 22-25. Easy journey for us, coming over from Gabriola. Always going down Island to visit grandkids in Victoria so I believe I'll drop in to check it out one day going past. Wayne, what is the procedure to secure a spot, I understand you are shepherding this event. Cheers DouglasW on Gabriola Island

Hi Douglas

Thanks for your interest in the Vancouver Island Toy In 2012. I plan to collect names of those interested and then make a group booking for all of us toward mid/late May. I'll ask for the sites around the covered patio we used last year. I'll then advise each person of his/her site number and then people can check in and pay for their sites for the number of days they plan to attend. For now, I'd just like to make sure as many people as possible know about the event and I hope we can get firm committments from those interested by mid May. Cheers, Wayne

1329703594' post='26319']

Hi Douglas

Thanks for your interest in the Vancouver Island Toy In 2012. I plan to collect names of those interested and then make a group booking for all of us toward mid/late May. I'll ask for the sites around the covered patio we used last year. I'll then advise each person of his/her site number and then people can check in and pay for their sites for the number of days they plan to attend. For now, I'd just like to make sure as many people as possible know about the event and I hope we can get firm committments from those interested by mid May. Cheers, Wayne

1329703594' post='26319']

Hi Douglas

Wayne. Any chance of getting a reduced rate seeing as there will be a bunch of us. Cheers. DouglasW on Gabriola Island

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Douglas

I am interested in your event. The ferry is going to be a big expense through. Mostly all rv's are going to be in the over sized class...$$$ Ferry Rates

Thanks

GK

So we jumped right on this. We booked site R2 for June 22,23,24 . The lady I spoke with suggested booking ASAP because you can always change locations with a weeks notice and those spots are going to fill up fast. Our friends here who also own a Chinook will be joining us. They booked R1 for the same dates as us. We will be convoying from the Kootenay's (Creston) on the 20th and/or 21st if anyone wants to roll with us.

We are stoked