Furnace suggestions for a 21 ft sunrader

Bryan B

I am looking into furnaces and am wondering what suggestions some of you might have when adding a furnace (mine was gone when I got it) I have plenty of room, I just want to figure it in when remodeling. I would prefer as small as I can get but will work with whats out there

If the hole is still in the body it would be best to match it with what ever was in there because they are different. The Suburban had a larger exhaust then the Atwood no great shakes but it might make life a little easier.

the hole is kind of still there- the outside holes are in the body but all the glasswork/ducting inside is gone.

I was hoping to find a compact unit to free up some more space.

Thanks for the advice. I just bought a WAVE 3 on Amazon, $163.00

I'll install it before I head out west next month.

Probably install a flex hose with valve and quick disconnect under the stove!

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

the hole is kind of still there- the outside holes are in the body but all the glasswork/ducting inside is gone.

I was hoping to find a compact unit to free up some more space.

The heaters are self contained in a little box they really are not that big and the fittings on the outside actually screw into the heater it's self to form a tight seal. I don't think I have ever seen a Toy home with duct work maybe there are some. I prefer a heater that exhaust to the out side and brings in it's own fresh air the Mr buddy stuff uses O2 from in side and they say in the instructions not to be used while sleeping I had one and it gave me wicked head aches. There are vented catalytic heaters but they are way expensive. If you are at a camp ground a 1,000 watt electric heater is enough it won't warm it up quickly but it will heat the MH.

Both the Mr Buddy and the WAVE 3 are vent-less catalytic. I don't believe they generate CO (Carbon Monoxide), but they do deplete O2 (Oxygen). Both come with warnings to operate with ventilation (open a window). As a Pilot, I can tell you, O2 deprevation can cause some serious headaches.

I use a 900/1500 watt electric space heater when I'm plugged into shore power, I use the MHs furnace when I'm not.

I'm going to try the WAVE 3 and see how it works. If it doesn't work out, I'll use it in my shop.

As for your furnace dilemma, You might check e-bay or some of the surplus places.

Also, I believe some of the furnace manuals have mounting dimensions, so you should be able to figure out what will fit. You might also post a couple photos of the openings, both inside and out. Place a tape measure in the photo so people can get an idea of what the opening are and maybe give you some recommendations on model numbers.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I would stick with a conventional rv furnace. On a Sunrader they would have been ducted. You should still have the small vents scattered around your rv unless it was gutted. I replaced my duct work with heavy duty dryer vents. Looked exactly like the original ones I removed because they were so dirty. In Carthage, Mo is one of the largest RV salvage yards in the country. Seems like you need a bunch of stuff so your in luck there. At least your in the same state. Might have the stove you need too

http://www.colawrvsalvage.com/

For the furnace to find one that fits I would look at the smaller trailers. Most motorhomes now are so big the furnace would be too. So big truck campers or small trailers would be the right place to look

.The furnace in both of my Sunraders is a Hydro Flame 8500 series. The salvage yard should know what will fit in that space

LS

I am looking into furnaces and am wondering what suggestions some of you might have when adding a furnace (mine was gone when I got it) I have plenty of room, I just want to figure it in when remodeling. I would prefer as small as I can get but will work with whats out there

check out the dickenson marine fireplace/furnace, it's a little spendy but small and needs little clearance, as a bonus it has a glass front so you can have the warmth of the fireglow. i love mine.

Another benefit of Wave 3 etc is that they are quiet. NO fan noise.

Even with a new heater on my last Toy it was too noisy for me.

When I use Wave3 I turn it off at night. Enjoy it while awake. In the morning I turn on the Atwood for 10 minutes for a quick warmup.

I took mine out of the Sunrader I sold, and plan on installing it under the stove area, no oven.

There is a great space for it in mine.

Going to T off the stove lp line.

check out the dickenson marine fireplace/furnace, it's a little spendy but small and needs little clearance, as a bonus it has a glass front so you can have the warmth of the fireglow. i love mine.

all very good suggestions, I am not limited to the original mounting and venting- at this point I have a blank canvas to work with- I will look into the different heaters/furnaces and see what the pros and cons are.

This hunting season I will go with the Mr buddy heater for temp use and I will have my carbon monoxide detector and a window or 2 cracked open for good measure.