Well, after owning my '83 Sunrader for a few weeks now I realized I made the 'big mistake'. I bought one where the rear axle hasn't been converted. I will need to have a mechanic do this as I am not a mechanically inclined person. But first, I am hoping to get some help from you folks in the Forum.

I would like to do some shopping on my own to see if I can find the axle rather than the mechanic to try to save a few bucks because this upgrade is going to hurt the pocketbook.

I have done some reading in the Forum and understand it is better to get one with the rims and that I will need to probably have the u-bolts fabricated. What I don't seem to understand are the ratios and other specifications on the axle that I need to purchase.

I have:

1983 Sunrader 18 foot

4 Cylinder, Manual Transmission

Do you need any other info?

Also, if there tips on what I DON'T want to buy that would be appreciated too.

Thanks for any help. I am in San Diego and if there are any axles or good help in the area I am all ears.

Cheers!

All the 1 ton duallies are essentially the same but on an 83 your going to need some extra work on the brake lines and I believe Shock mounts need

to be moved. The ad posted is your best case scenario because they have the whells and everything you will need. This is going to be expensive though

so be prepared.

LS

Cool thanks Bunneys. Wondering if the 1992 would work on my 1983? Any thoughts?

Here is one to think about, would need to make a road trip but it is brand new and has everything you need, he is accepting offers on it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Truck-RV-1-Ton-Rear-End-Differential-NEW-/300592083539?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fcaf3253

adding the rear will be easy, it will bllot up in place where your axle is now, maybe you can use your existing brake lines to it (20+yrs old, replace) and the u bolt plates that your current rear uses should have your shock mounts incorporated into them so those will bolt up as well. shouldnt be too bad. find a shop familiar with toy pickups or do it youself

thanks elder the welder!

So are you the one that bought it? I saw that auction last week, than when i looked again it was gone and than re-listed. Than when i put the link on this board it sold quickly

Hopefully you are the one who bought it, or someone else here, for the record it was not my auction

Has anyone gone to a single rear wheel on 18 ft sunraders? i recall some discussion of this topic before.

I realize that this would be a bad idea with a 21 footer as that axle is REALLY overloaded. The one ton is the best way to go, but, weighing all the factors here, going to a good heavy single tire might make sense.

The parts to do the swap are reasonably priced, but, having to pay someone to do it might be quite expensive.

I have read that some feel the 18 footer can get by with the "foolie" axle. Obviously there are a number of them out there still limping around on them. This one has for near 30 years. Another thing to consider is why the foolie fails. There are two factors. One is weight. The other is leverage. A proper one ton full floater has the bearings centered over the load. The foolie's bearing is quite a ways inboard. This means that it's load is not just a load, but a load exerting a fair bit of axle snapping torque. Going to a single wheel, as the 1/2 ton axle was designed for, eliminates the torque factor.

Are there any stats out there on 18 footer axle failures? I would like to know if these failures were on overloaded rigs? And yeah, I know, they all come from the factory, overloaded as a standard feature. I am talking about full tanks, multiple passengers and lots of junk.

Another advantage to this solution is it increases the number of wheel tire options. I do believe that some domestic 5 lug truck rims will fit.

Of course if this option was taken, I would make damn sure I kept the waste tanks as close to empty as possible. i would also keep loads as light as possible and as forward as possible. I would probably end up getting a very light utility trailer. I found one in very nice shape for 50 bucks on CL.

Good luck with your sunrader. I miss mine everytime I have to mess around with seam sealing on my Odyssey!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gone to a single rear wheel on 18 ft sunraders? i recall some discussion of this topic before.

I realize that this would be a bad idea with a 21 footer as that axle is REALLY overloaded. The one ton is the best way to go, but, weighing all the factors here, going to a good heavy single tire might make sense.

The parts to do the swap are reasonably priced, but, having to pay someone to do it might be quite expensive.

I have read that some feel the 18 footer can get by with the "foolie" axle. Obviously there are a number of them out there still limping around on them. This one has for near 30 years. Another thing to consider is why the foolie fails. There are two factors. One is weight. The other is leverage. A proper one ton full floater has the bearings centered over the load. The foolie's bearing is quite a ways inboard. This means that it's load is not just a load, but a load exerting a fair bit of axle snapping torque. Going to a single wheel, as the 1/2 ton axle was designed for, eliminates the torque factor.

Are there any stats out there on 18 footer axle failures? I would like to know if these failures were on overloaded rigs? And yeah, I know, they all come from the factory, overloaded as a standard feature. I am talking about full tanks, multiple passengers and lots of junk.

Another advantage to this solution is it increases the number of wheel tire options. I do believe that some domestic 5 lug truck rims will fit.

Of course if this option was taken, I would make damn sure I kept the waste tanks as close to empty as possible. i would also keep loads as light as possible and as forward as possible. I would probably end up getting a very light utility trailer. I found one in very nice shape for 50 bucks on CL.

Good luck with your sunrader. I miss mine everytime I have to mess around with seam sealing on my Odyssey!

the biggest concern would be that if it did fail it could possibley cause a death (yours or an oncoming vehicles occupants)

i have a question for you all ,,owners of the sunrader..... I have a 1987 six lug single wheel rear anxle and I need to know if it is ok the way it is..??? i just bought it and am hoping it does not need a upgrade... I heard that if it was a 1986 ,,I would need to up grade it to a one ton axle. I was told it is ok and was upgraded at the factory.. is this true ???? thank you in advance for your replies ... fishman

No Sunraders I know of came with a single rear wheel. Does the center hub of the rear wheel stick out about the size of a 1 quart bowl? Is yours a 4x4? They have dual wheels usually but no large center hub. Can you post a picture? Did you just buy this on Ebay? PM me if so have much to tell you

Linda S

i have a question for you all ,,owners of the sunrader..... I have a 1987 six lug single wheel rear anxle and I need to know if it is ok the way it is..??? i just bought it and am hoping it does not need a upgrade... I heard that if it was a 1986 ,,I would need to up grade it to a one ton axle. I was told it is ok and was upgraded at the factory.. is this true ???? thank you in advance for your replies ... fishman