refridge replacement

craige

I was looking at the cost of replacing the refridge and I started to think about replacing it with a regular electric compressor refridge and using the money saved to invest in a solar system to power it. I wanted to do solar sometime in the future and this would be a way to justify it. I already have two coach batteries and have upgraded the converter. Any ideas for or against are appreciated.

You will need to add an inverter to power the refer.

Go look at one of the mini refrigerators, look specifically at the tag that tells you how much electricity the thing uses (probably on the model number placard) , look for "amps". (probably around 2 or 3 amps).

If you plan on operating that on a 12 volt inverter, multiply the "amps"at 120 volts" by 10 to get the "amps at 12 volts". I'm guessing you'll need 20 - 30 amps at 12 volts.

Inverters are sold in "watts" to get watts, multiply "amps" times "Volts" (20 amps times 12 volts = 240 watts) PLUS - throw in a 100%safety/efficiency factor, so guess around 500 - 750 watt inverter. to run the frig.

This may be doable if the truck is running, but will quickly run your battery to ZERO when parked.

Of course, If your going to be using Shore power, this isn't an issue. ALSO if your going to be using it for a day or two, put some dry ice in the freezer compartment, that should keep things cold for a day or two with no electric.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Got the whole electric thing figured. I'm an electrician. I usually add dry ice every 3-4 days when I go out to Colorado. I never have shore power. Always stay in national forests or BLM land. Not sure if it would be worth it to spend the money on PV instead of a 3 way RV fridge. The PV system would need to be sized for the fridge.

Check around some of the salvage places, also e-bay, craigs list. you might luck out and pick one up for a hundred bucks.

Whats wrong with the existing one???

Solar might be a good thing if you spend a lot of time away from an outlet. Its just not going to be able to supply a lot of watts to run a microwave or Coffee pot.

JOhn MC

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of myn got and old junk pickup camper free he needed a frige the frige was good and others of us got good usable stuff i have an all brass sink fawect rebuilt for two dollors of o rings i just spent 650 for a new norcold did not like price but love that frig if it is junk take door off might help myn small so no problem in or out

From discussion I've seen on this board and the Yahoo group, the frig needs to go in/out through the passenger door. Remove the passenger seat (4 bolts) and the frig should fit through that door.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 3 weeks later...

i just replaced a 2401 2-way with an AC unit. the only one i could find that would fit in the space was made by igloo. it's 4.5 cf and it fit without cutting the opening any bigger. i looked at a lot of them by all different makes and it was the only one i could find that wasn't too tall. it's all installed now and looks nice too. i insulated around the unit to keep the air from coming in from the cover on the outside and added screen to keep out the flies etc. ended up using the old frig's door insert to cut strips to fill in around the unit. i also drilled and mounted a bracket at the front top and drilled and screwed the bottom back down to the floor, it's solid as a rock. the other issue along with size was finding one with reversible door. i needed hinge on the left, almost everything was hinge on right. it uses 1.6 amps, about 200 watts. 200 watt solar isn't cheap, at least what i looked at. as far as converter you would pull about 17 amps from the battery. I will not be using the freezer for food, so i'll just fill it with the little freezer bags frozen to keep things cool while traveling then they will refreeze when connected to ac or running the generator. they take about two days to totally thaw out, not bad, and they keep the frig cold, as long as you don't have kids opening it every 30 seconds :o). this weekend will be our maiden voyage, about 3 hours away in the sierra's toward yosemite. just need to pick up the generator and mount for the flat screen, can't be without a good movie when the sun goes down. fall finally came so we won't need the air conditioner.

Excellent. Lets see some photos.

Did you get it in/out through the passenger door?

We put water bottles in our freezer, They keep the frig cold, and we always have cold water.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphine

As I've mentioned in other posts, solar blvd has good service and great prices. Here's a 210 watt Solar Cynergy 12V panel for $346.50 plus shipping. I've now bought several Solar Cynergy panels, 40, 80 and 100 watt over the last 3 years and am happy with all of them. The 100 watt panel is on our 84 Sunrader. About the only catch to these big panels (over 100 watt) is shipping, about $75 to me in Oregon.

Steve

Edited by Eve "n" Stephen

i did take the old one out through the passenger door. i had the sunvisor down and had to put it up to make it fit, that tight but made it. the one i replaced it with actually would have made it through the door with the door off, but went in through the passenger door. will be taking some pictures on the trip, exited to leave tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed one in 93 winnie warrior -- 4 bolts to remove the passenger seat - took it out the door.

i am also thinking about replacing the 2 way with regular ac. doing some measuring it won't fit through the door.... how can these be removed? bigger problem may be getting a replacement in. maybe someone has done it.