I've been running this back and forth in my mind ever since I first got my Toyhouse back in November.

Well, Today I made a commitment, I bought a small 5000 BTU unit and started cutting holes in the Toyhouse.

Frig Chimney - There is a large "Chimney" that the frig uses to cool its heat exchanger. This chimney is about 24 wide by 6 deep where it goes up to the roof.

I'll use this chimney as the supply air "Plenum" for my A/C.

Because the A/C unit is blocking some of this chimney, I need to somehow make the chimney larger to help make up for the blockage.

The entire cabinet above the frig will be converted to the A/C intake Plenum which doubles as the frig chimney. By making the entire cabinet part of the Frig chimney, this should help the vertical air flow that the frig requires.

The A/C will uses this plenum as the condenser source air. the A/C sucks air in through the sides and top, and blows it through the condenser and out the back of the A/C unit. The back of the A/C unit exits out the side of the Toyhouse.

I ordered a 24x15 exterior hatch cover. I'll install this up high where I cut my initial test hole. Initially, to run the A/C, I'll need to open this cover so the condenser air can escape. Later I may cut louvers in the cover so I won't need to open it when I run the A/C. Not sure yet.

I'll drill a hole in the bottom of the A/C and connect a hose that runs all the way down and exits out the bottom. This will drain any condensate from the A/C unit

Heres some initial photos so you get a rough idea what I'm up to.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-40184500-1312154958_thumb.jp

post-4544-0-19738800-1312154969_thumb.jp

The install looks OK, let us know how the 5000btu part works in the summer.

It seemed to do OK today, I just set it in the hole I cut in the side of Toyhouse, sitting in there, nothing sealed, it was 95 deg outside (sun shining), after an hour, it had cooled to 82 deg inside, and noticeably less humid. The compressor was cycling on/off so thats the temperature I had the thermostat set. It looks like this is going to work OK. :rolleyes:

I chose this particular 5000 btu unit because I can probably run it on a small portable generator, or even my 1500 watt inverter. ( The spec sheet says it draws a max of 8 amps, about 1000 watts)

I also wanted something that would fit in the cabinet, and leave room around the unit for frig air flow.

Besides, these units (Frigidaire model # FRA052XT7) are on sale at Kmart and Sears for $99. :ThumbUp:

The way I'm going to mount it, it should be fairly universal and should work with any window unit that fits in the old cabinet cavity., if this 5000 BTU doesn't work, All I need to do is move the mount brackets to fit the new A/C unit, cut out a new plywood front panel, and I'm back in business.

This is the access door I'll use. I got it on ebay for $47. its a Dometic cover 23x15, exactly the same size as the original door on the bottom. Hopefully I get enough air flow through it without the need to open it.

post-4544-0-36594100-1312195508_thumb.jp

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Great idea. Please keep the pics etc coming.

Some thoughts. They make a fan unit for the top of the chimney, helps suck air out.

It may help.

On my old sunrader it had the air chimey on the side above the fridge not the roof.

You might add one between the fridge and the air.

Some people have added fans inside over the coils too.

I may do this too. Thanks for being inventive.

Henry

I should be OK with air flow. Especially if the A/C is running as it will be sucking air up through the Frig lower vent door, and down from the roof vent.

I have a good baseline on how my frig has been performing and will test this as soon as I get the A/C installed and the plenum closed up.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Hi John,

Not wanting to fiddle around installing a small a/c, we purchased a small portable called "Commercial Cool" from Home Depot. It fits neatly at the back and under the table with a hose outlet out the window only when we need it operating. It is of course slightly heavier than a window unit, so placing it there almost over the back wheels seems a good plan. Nice part it we can use it in the house should we need to do so.

We've tested it out and it cools the rig quite well, so we shouldn't be too hot over at Osoyoos when we go there in two weeks time.

Ron & Sue

In Toy-Rig

I was looking at the portables and they seem a good option. If I hadn't come up with the idea of installing the window unit above the frig, I probably would have gone the portable route.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Go to Lowes or whatever is handy and look at J channel for vinyl siding it may give you some ideas.